Is Cosby right or is Wright right?

I think we all pretty much know how Rev Wright feels about why some blacks are in the position that they are in in today's America. Bill Cosby has, from my analysis, a diametrically opposed feeling. Attached is a link to Cosby's feelings: http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewSpecialReports.asp?Page=/SpecialReports/archive/200407/SPE20040702a.html.

Who is right? I believe that Cosby is, for the most part.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting Cosby would make these remarks at Jesse Jackson's Rainbow/PUSH Coalition conference, given that Jackson's every speech and waking thought seems to be that it is indeed the white man that is holding back the progress of the African-American race.

Interesting Cosby would make these remarks at Jesse Jackson's Rainbow/PUSH Coalition conference, given that Jackson's every speech and waking thought seems to be that it is indeed the white man that is holding back the progress of the African-American race.

It's not just african americans that are being held back. Women, african americans, poor people and other minorities all have things working against them.

It's not just african americans that are being held back. Women, african americans, poor people and other minorities all have things working against them.

With the common demoninator being that they are all being held back by white America?? Come on . . . .

So it's not just white America that is holding back all of these groups, it is more specifically white men, correct? Ugh. I get so tired of hearing this.

You must not like the truth.

Here's a good piece about white people who ignore or do not notice their own "white privelege".

"I was taught to see racism only in individual acts of meanness, not in invisible systems conferring dominance on my group"

Peggy McIntosh

Through work to bring materials from women's studies into the rest of the curriculum, I have often noticed men's unwillingness to grant that they are overprivileged, even though they may grant that women are disadvantaged. They may say they will work to women's statues, in the society, the university, or the curriculum, but they can't or won't support the idea of lessening men's. Denials that amount to taboos surround the subject of advantages that men gain from women's disadvantages. These denials protect male privilege from being fully acknowledged, lessened, or ended.

Thinking through unacknowledged male privilege as a phenomenon, I realized that, since hierarchies in our society are interlocking, there are most likely a phenomenon, I realized that, since hierarchies in our society are interlocking, there was most likely a phenomenon of while privilege that was similarly denied and protected. As a white person, I realized I had been taught about racism as something that puts others at a disadvantage, but had been taught not to see one of its corollary aspects, white privilege, which puts me at an advantage.

LINK

So it's not just white America that is holding back all of these groups, it is more specifically white men, correct? Ugh. I get so tired of hearing this.

You get tired of hearing it. I have no sympathy. There are those out there who live it....

You must not like the truth.

Here's a good piece about white people who ignore or do not notice their own "white privelege".

LINK

Trust me, young man, I know what the "truth" is out there in the "real world." Once you get out there yourself, you may too have some meaningful insight into the situation.

I have earned everything I have achieved. I was given nothing and am hardly a member of some elite "white privilege" to whom you so ignorantly refer.

Do we TRUTHFULLY want a world/America where everything is equal and perfect? Wouldn't someone always push ahead of others?

Of course many white people (men mainly) do not want things to be equal, because they're so used to being the advantaged.