Silva Submits Henderson

Seriously, when considering how great Anderson Silva is, I don't think he'd need to change anything to compete at 205. The only difference is that he won't have to cut weight to make the weigh-in. Even at 185 he's good enough to beat anyone in the 205 pound division...I'm not saying that he would for sure beat guys like Rampage, Liddell, etc., but I'd give him a pretty good shot at doing it. I don't necessarily think Silva should move up a weight class, but I do think that he and the UFC should seriously think about having him fight one of those guys...kinda like a superfight. I mean, imagine Anderson Silva vs. Chuck Liddell or Rampage...that would be awesome. Or, if GSP wanted to fight him, that would be cool too. But, I'd love to see him fight Liddell or Rampage.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure anyone could beat Anderson Silva right now. Only way to do it would be to take him down, but he scrambles well to get back into good positions on the ground, and then he's dangerous with submissions. Still, that's better than standing with him.

Seriously, when considering how great Anderson Silva is, I don't think he'd need to change anything to compete at 205. The only difference is that he won't have to cut weight to make the weigh-in. Even at 185 he's good enough to beat anyone in the 205 pound division...I'm not saying that he would for sure beat guys like Rampage, Liddell, etc., but I'd give him a pretty good shot at doing it. I don't necessarily think Silva should move up a weight class, but I do think that he and the UFC should seriously think about having him fight one of those guys...kinda like a superfight. I mean, imagine Anderson Silva vs. Chuck Liddell or Rampage...that would be awesome. Or, if GSP wanted to fight him, that would be cool too. But, I'd love to see him fight Liddell or Rampage.

As a former boxer, I will tell you fighting at your natural weight is a tough thing to do. Most guys are cutting weight to fight at that level, so they are naturally stronger that a guy who is at the 205 mark normally. It hurts conditioning as well, because you get away from some of the cardio stuff done to lose weight and go to more of a weight training program to ensure that you keep weight on. I would stay at 185 if I were Silva. I know that there are a lot of guys he can beat at 205, but I think he is a HOF fighter at 185 and he may not be that at 205. I would like to see some of the 205 guys meet Anderson in the middle (195). This happens regularly in boxing, but is not a common practice in MMA. Even if Anderson met some of the 170 guys somewhere in the middle (178), that would make for some interesting fights.

I'm not sure anyone could beat Anderson Silva right now. Only way to do it would be to take him down, but he scrambles well to get back into good positions on the ground, and then he's dangerous with submissions. Still, that's better than standing with him.

There's no chance to stand and strike with him. He's also a lot stronger than he looks...I think he surprises guys with his strength.

I honestly think he'd beat anyone in the 205 pound division, including Rampage.

The thing about Silva is that he's always poised. Even if you get him on his back, he always looks calm, and he doesn't waste a lot of energy trying to get up...he's content to lay there, minimize the damage and possibly look for a submission. I think he's one of those rare fighters who believes that not only can he, but that he will, finish the fight from any position. Like round 1 of that fight...Henderson got him down and stayed on top the whole round, but Silva took little damage and really didn't waste much energy. I love watching this guy fight...he's a freak.

I'd love to see the UFC match him up against one of the big time LHW's...a match vs. Liddell or Rampage would be sweet. Personally, I think he'd destroy Chuck, but Rampage might be interesting. With his size and strength, it's possible that he could actually give Silva some serious trouble if he got on top of him. Also, Rampage is a tough guy. He can take a lot of punishment. I doubt it will happen, but I'd love to see it.

A match vs. GSP doesn't interest me as much, because I think Silva would win easily. GSP really overpowers a lot of the 170 pounders, but he couldn't do that against Silva. He'd be at a disadvantage across the board against Silva...no chance.

Heck, I have serious doubts about whether the UFC has a heavyweight that could beat the Spider. :lol: Even if they got him down, he'd probably still submit 'em...

Really, I just want to see him fight elite fighters and there are none left at 185. So, what's UFC going to do? Try to bring someone else in...they already said no to Lindland, I read. If they don't do that, they need to put him in the cage with an elite LHW, IMO.

As a former boxer, I will tell you fighting at your natural weight is a tough thing to do. Most guys are cutting weight to fight at that level, so they are naturally stronger that a guy who is at the 205 mark normally. It hurts conditioning as well, because you get away from some of the cardio stuff done to lose weight and go to more of a weight training program to ensure that you keep weight on. I would stay at 185 if I were Silva. I know that there are a lot of guys he can beat at 205, but I think he is a HOF fighter at 185 and he may not be that at 205. I would like to see some of the 205 guys meet Anderson in the middle (195). This happens regularly in boxing, but is not a common practice in MMA. Even if Anderson met some of the 170 guys somewhere in the middle (178), that would make for some interesting fights.

My point is, I think he can stick with his normal routine...he doesn't have to worry about his weight. If he feels comfortable cutting down to 185 and fighting then do that...he could still beat anyone in the LHW division. I'm not necessarily advocating a full-time move up to 205...I just think the UFC should seriously explore the idea of a few "superfights" where Silva fights Liddell or Rampage. Otherwise, there would be no point in it. He has nothing to prove by beating up on lesser LHW's. Also, supposing he did fight a guy like Rampage, he'd really have nothing to lose...it's not like people would think he was a chump if he lost to a guy who outweighs him by 20+ pounds and a win in a fight like that would only make him look better.

Of course, IMO, if he wanted to fight in the 205 pound division, I think he could take the belt there too. At the least, he'd be the overwhelming majority...it's possible, I suppose, that a big strong guy like Rampage could overpower him enough to beat him.

I just think Anderson Silva, as he is, no gaining weight or whatever, could beat anyone in the UFC up to the 205 pound division.

I mean, he just choked out the guy who went toe-to-toe with the LHW champion for 5 rounds in the second round. There is no doubt that he's capable of beating Rampage.

There's no chance to stand and strike with him. He's also a lot stronger than he looks...I think he surprises guys with his strength.

I honestly think he'd beat anyone in the 205 pound division, including Rampage.

The thing about Silva is that he's always poised. Even if you get him on his back, he always looks calm, and he doesn't waste a lot of energy trying to get up...he's content to lay there, minimize the damage and possibly look for a submission. I think he's one of those rare fighters who believes that not only can he, but that he will, finish the fight from any position. Like round 1 of that fight...Henderson got him down and stayed on top the whole round, but Silva took little damage and really didn't waste much energy. I love watching this guy fight...he's a freak.

I'd love to see the UFC match him up against one of the big time LHW's...a match vs. Liddell or Rampage would be sweet. Personally, I think he'd destroy Chuck, but Rampage might be interesting. With his size and strength, it's possible that he could actually give Silva some serious trouble if he got on top of him. Also, Rampage is a tough guy. He can take a lot of punishment. I doubt it will happen, but I'd love to see it.

A match vs. GSP doesn't interest me as much, because I think Silva would win easily. GSP really overpowers a lot of the 170 pounders, but he couldn't do that against Silva. He'd be at a disadvantage across the board against Silva...no chance.

Heck, I have serious doubts about whether the UFC has a heavyweight that could beat the Spider. :lol: Even if they got him down, he'd probably still submit 'em...

Really, I just want to see him fight elite fighters and there are none left at 185. So, what's UFC going to do? Try to bring someone else in...they already said no to Lindland, I read. If they don't do that, they need to put him in the cage with an elite LHW, IMO.

GSP is a freak athlete though. He proved that when he controlled Koshceck who is a freak himself.

GSP vs Silva would be great.

GSP is a freak athlete though. He proved that when he controlled Koshceck who is a freak himself.

GSP vs Silva would be great.

It would be some nice hype, but I think Anderson would take him out rather easily. GSP overpowered Koscheck...he wouldn't be able to do that to Silva and there's no way he could outstrike him. I think the hype would be nice, but the fight would be an easy W for the Spider. He needs to move up for a challenge, IMO...there's no one in a lower weight class who could do that.

Of course, I'd still enjoy seeing Silva vs. GSP. But, Silva vs. Rampage or Liddell would be far more intriguing for my money...

Spider is a freaking animal! Is there anyone in the world who can beat this guy?

I've often wondered what it'd be like to fight in the UFC, perhaps this is my calling:fight:.... lol.

I could hang maybe for a couple minutes, but even if I survived a first round, I'd be too tired to stand for the remaining rounds, guess I'd have to work on my ground game, especially from my back. lol

I just think the UFC should seriously explore the idea of a few "superfights"

That was my point as well, but let them meet in the middle so that it is fair to both combatants from a weight standpoint.

I don't know if Silva can go up to 205 and beat Rampage, but if Rampage came down to 185, I think he would have to cut a ton of weight and get handled in terms of his conditioning. I would love to see them meet at 195. I think Silva wins, but it would be a descent fight.

I think Rush is the most competitive "superfight" candidate for Spider. He is fast and powerful. Silva would win, but again, a great fight!

That was my point as well, but let them meet in the middle so that it is fair to both combatants from a weight standpoint.

I don't know if Silva can go up to 205 and beat Rampage, but if Rampage came down to 185, I think he would have to cut a ton of weight and get handled in terms of his conditioning. I would love to see them meet at 195. I think Silva wins, but it would be a descent fight.

I think Rush is the most competitive "superfight" candidate for Spider. He is fast and powerful. Silva would win, but again, a great fight!

I don't think Rampage could get down to 185. I'm sure he walks around at 220-230...it's be far too much to ask for him to fight at 185.

I don't think Rampage could get down to 185. I'm sure he walks around at 220-230...it's be far too much to ask for him to fight at 185.

Or 195...the easiest way to make a Silva vs. any LHW fight is just to leave it at 205...Silva can come in at any weight he wants as long as it's below 205. Silva is a big, strong guy. He's not as big or strong as Rampage, but the difference isn't enough to worry about trying to make Rampage cut more weight. People underestimate Anderson's strength, IMO...Rich Franklin was considered a big, powerful middleweight and Silva overpowered him...Henderson was the former PRIDE LHW champ and went 5 rounds with Rampage, Silva seemed to at least equal in strength to Hendo...he could hold his own with Rampage as well.

Wanderlei and Shogun destroyed Rampage with knees from the clinch...I feel confident in saying that Anderson Silva's clinch and knees are better than both those guys. The only thing that needs to happen for this to be a fight is for Anderson Silva to agree to fight at 205 and for UFC to schedule it...

Here's a quote from Anderson Silva after the Hendo fight...

"I will face anybody," Silva said. "If the UFC wants me to move up in weight and that's the fight the fans want, I will do it."

Link if you don't believe me...

http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/mma/news/story?id=3275075

This wont be popular on here...

But I think Hendo and Silva rematch and Hendo takes it. I think you will see more of what you saw in the 1st round, Hendo taking Silva down and GnP him.

Play-out: Okami vs Silva-Silva winning.

Ace vs Hendo- Hendo winning

Then Silva and Hendo rematch.

This wont be popular on here...

But I think Hendo and Silva rematch and Hendo takes it. I think you will see more of what you saw in the 1st round, Hendo taking Silva down and GnP him.

Play-out: Okami vs Silva-Silva winning.

Ace vs Hendo- Hendo winning

Then Silva and Hendo rematch.

Thats the way I see it too, BUT Hendo only signed a 2 fight deal with the UFC.

If DREAM's 1st couple of shows do ok I see A LOT of guys going back to Japan. Not because the UFC and Dana are bad, they are a great org. but the money in Japan is so much more.