$100k High School Coach

cshs81

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"..................... and as the injured and weak zebra falls back from the pack, the lions cunningly make their move."

Someone once told me as you climb the ladder in life be good to all the people you pass, because if you aren't when you come back down they will kick your teeth in.

I have found that to be an accurate statement. People love humble people.

Someone once told me as you climb the ladder in life be good to all the people you pass, because if you aren't when you come back down they will kick your teeth in.

I have found that to be an accurate statement. People love humble people.

Your defense of Coach Matney is admirable as loyalty is always good. I stated in my original post that this is not a shot at Coach Matney. I'd take the money, too, if offered. My question is two-fold. First, is it true that he makes that and who pays it? Secondly, does this show that high school football is going the way of college and pro? Before you say "yes," I'd argue that high school sports do not have the revenue streams that college and pro do so that makes $100k difficult to justify.

I think there is always more to the story than gets told here. I would really like to see a breakdown of his salary if it is indeed over 100k. It's really not fair to include his teaching salary against his coaching salary. I would also be interested to compare his salary as a Drug Awareness teacher against similar positions in the area.

There are several schools across the country that pay high school football coaches over 100,000 a year.

The avg. salary of the Dallas Metro area Coaches in Texas was somewhere between 88,000-92,000. The poll took into account responses from over 100 schools as to what they paid their H.S. coach. Almost 50% of the schools replied that they indeed payed their coaches over 100,000.

There are several schools in Georgia and Alabama they pay that much. Of course at some of these places, not all of that money is paid by the school system itself. Some of it is payed by well-organized, large, and hard working booster clubs.

It just seems out of the norm here in Ky because not many if any schools other than Johnson Central pay their Head Football coach that much money.

If I'm understanding correctly from another thread, Coach Matney of Johnson Central makes approximately $100k per year. I'm stunned. Is this an isolated case?

Does he teach full-time at JCHS as in 6 or 7 classes per day?

Does the district pay his full $100k salary?

Note: God bless him if he's getting paid this much. My post is not a criticism of him. Its a serious question of priorities in the state of KY.

What is the average household income for a resident of Johnson County?

No HS coach of any sport is worth $100,000. Period.

If the teachers of the kids in the classroom are not worth $100,000 AND THAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THE SCHOOL.

Then the coaches are not either.

That's the same logic the college professors use when attacking the salaries paid to college head coaches. To me, its simply a matter of supply and demand, and priorities.

If I am not mistaken Matney does some type of Grant job through the BOE with lots of extended days. He is NOT in the Classroom.

I know at LCC Howard was scheduled to make near 100k doing a Unite grant job, but they stepped in and stoped that hire. Not sure what his real title is now?

That's the same logic the college professors use when attacking the salaries paid to college head coaches. To me, its simply a matter of supply and demand.

Great mindset in this country. Those who coach HS football is more important than those who educate the minds of the students.

No wonder too many kids feel education is not important. They are told it is but the actions of society says it isn't. And actions speak louder than words.

If the teachers of the kids in the classroom are not worth $100,000 AND THAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THE SCHOOL.

Then the coaches are not either.

In some states south of the Mason Dixon line (Fla, GA, AL, LA, AR, TX...etc) high school football coaches make 100,000 plus in larger programs, in some cases a majority comes from the boosters and the coach is given a title by the school like Facilities Cord. or some other dummy title to get them a teaching stipened without ever teaching a class. The point being that football is more than just a sport in those places and often times 1000's of people come to watch the games. Not to mention the TV money that is involved, even on local networks, that is kicked back to the school. Fact is no other sport, in most cases, produces that kind of revenew. And if your consistantly producing a winner and tens of thousands are generated by football, then school systems will fork out the dough for the coach. In some cases even giving him a car or house while he is coach there. When was the last time 20,000 people showed up to watch a chemsitry experitment? Fact is, MONEY talks!

Great mindset in this country. Those who coach HS football is more important than those who educate the minds of the students.

No wonder too many kids feel education is not important. They are told it is but the actions of society says it isn't. And actions speak louder than words.

To almost quote Ohio State's coach, Jim Tressel, when asked if he thought it was wrong for him to make over a million dollars coaching football at a learning institution: "Do I feel guilty, no. Without the football program at Ohio State, Ohio State would not have a medical school, Ohio state would not have a research department. So do I feel guilty, no, not at all". Not the exact quote, but close.

Are high schools this way? No. but I thought it was pertinent to the current conversation.

Why shouldn't a coach make 100K? I have several friends who are doctors. They work brutal hours, but those hours are still less than a High School Head Coach's. Do coach’s families not deserve compensation for the hours they put it? Those coaches are subject to FAR more scrutiny than a classroom-only teacher. They deal with FAR more job pressure. They work FAR more hours than a classroom-only teacher.

To be honest, the High School Head Coach, be it whatever sport, is often the most influential non-parental figure in MANY kids lives. The ratio of High School Coaches who will lay it all out on the line for their players as opposed to high school teachers who will lay it all on the line for their students is staggering.

A great teacher can change the demeanor of a classroom. A great administrator can change the demeanor of a school. A great coach, can change the demeanor of an entire community.

Why shouldn't a coach make 100K? I have several friends who are doctors. They work brutal hours, but those hours are still less than a High School Head Coach's. Do coach’s families not deserve compensation for the hours they put it? Those coaches are subject to FAR more scrutiny than a classroom-only teacher. They deal with FAR more job pressure. They work FAR more hours than a classroom-only teacher.

To be honest, the High School Head Coach, be it whatever sport, is often the most influential non-parental figure in MANY kids lives. The ratio of High School Coaches who will lay it all out on the line for their players as opposed to high school teachers who will lay it all on the line for their students is staggering.

A great teacher can change the demeanor of a classroom. A great administrator can change the demeanor of a school. A great coach, can change the demeanor of an entire community.

If it is about hours worked, than teachers are deserving of the pay too.

You are right in that coaches can change communities for a year with a good run.

Teachers though change lives.

Our society says that changing a community with a sports run is more important than changing student's lives through education.