Bill Gates' Creative Capitalism

Businesses provide jobs, which allow individuals to feed, clothe, and provide shelter and security to their families. No charity does as much good for society as our capitalist system. When I think of leeches, I tend to think of those people who take from society and give nothing in return.

I prefer choosing my own charities over having Mr. Gates decide which ones are most worthy for me.

You certainly have the choice. You can choose to buy his proudcts, or not. It's actually the perfect capitalistic way of giving. The consumer can choose to buy a product specifically manufactured to sell for the purpose of raising money to help a specific cause. You don't support the cause, then buy something else. In this way, Gates has done nothing to impede your choice.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Businesses provide jobs, which allow individuals to feed, clothe, and provide shelter and security to their families. No charity does as much good for society as our capitalist system. When I think of leeches, I tend to think of those people who take from society and give nothing in return.

I prefer choosing my own charities over having Mr. Gates decide which ones are most worthy for me.

Part of the problem with businesses is that some of those jobs and in some cases most of those jobs are not in this country but their profits are coming from the hands of the consumers in this country.

Mr. Gates is challenging other businesses to make their choices on which charities to support not just the charities he supports.

You certainly have the choice. You can choose to buy his proudcts, or not. It's actually the perfect capitalistic way of giving. The consumer can choose to buy a product specifically manufactured to sell for the purpose of raising money to help a specific cause. You don't support the cause, then buy something else. In this way, Gates has done nothing to impede your choice.
I agree whole heartedly, which is why I am typing this message on a PC running Linux Mint.

Part of the problem with businesses is that some of those jobs and in some cases most of those jobs are not in this country but their profits are coming from the hands of the consumers in this country.

Mr. Gates is challenging other businesses to make their choices on which charities to support not just the charities he supports.

Even when we buy imported products, we are helping provide jobs for Americans who import, transport them to market, and sell them. If Mr. Gates wants to decide which charities are worthy of contributions by his customers, then that is certainly his right. In most cases, when I avoid buying a Microsoft product, I save money. Money that can be used on food, housing, and shelter for my family and for the charities that I choose to support with what is left over.

I find it really interesting and disturbing that one of the richest men in the world and maybe the richest man in the US calls on the rich businesses that are making money hand over foot to do more as a business and help out when they can and here on BGP that has come across as a negative thing.

How have we as a society come to the point that a rich man calls on other wealthy people and businesses to do more to help out society and it is a negative?

I think what Bill Gates has chosen to do is a great thing.

This is not like the government is forcing anyone to do anything. It is a choice and Bill Gates is calling on those who can make that choice to make that choice.

I am perplexed that it is being seen as a bad thing.:confused::confused:

I find it really interesting and disturbing that one of the richest men in the world and maybe the richest man in the US calls on the rich businesses that are making money hand over foot to do more as a business and help out when they can and here on BGP that has come across as a negative thing.

How have we as a society come to the point that a rich man calls on other wealthy people and businesses to do more to help out society and it is a negative?

This is not like the government is forcing anyone to do anything. It is a choice and Bill Gates is calling on those who can make that choice to make that choice.

Welcome to my world LBBC:D

It is a great thing when Bill Gates decides to donate his own money to the charities of his choice (which he has also done). I see nothing great in adding to the cost of a product and earmarking it for the company's favorite charities. I see such schemes as sales gimicks and find them patronizing. I prefer doing business with companies who keep prices low and let their employees and customers decide what to do with their own money.

I'm going to print your post and pin it up on my bulletin board! :D This may (to the best of my knowledge) be the first time I've gotten such an affirmative reaction from you on something I posted in this forum! :lol: :D

I'll search some of the other threads in this forum to try and find one of your posts that I strongly disagree with so I can bring you back to earth:laugh:

Seriously, I'm a freedom of choice person. I don't like Social Security because I have no choice. If I'm not responsible and educated enough to do my own retirement savings, I deserve to starve. I don't like mandatory seat belt and helmet laws. If I'm stupid enough to not wear them, I deserve the consequences. I don't like my tax dollars supporting NPR or other similar institutions. If not enough people voluntarily support them, then they should fold. I didn't like the govt bail out of Chrysler years ago. If they make cruddy cars to the level that they can't sell enough of them to survive, they belong going out of business. Etc, etc. I'm sure you get my point. And if Gates/Microsoft wants to contribute profit dollars to what they think are good causes, good for them. If I don't like what they are doing, I'll not buy their products and sell my stock. Life's simple if you don't over analyze and complicate it.

Did you know that corporations are limited to how much in charitable contributions they can deduct on their federal tax return? Individuals are limited to 50% of their AGI, but corporations are limited to 10% of their net profit. So if a corporation makes $100 million in a year and wants to donate half their profits, tax law will limit their deduction to $10 million instead of the $50 million they donated. I think this is insane. Why not let individuals and companies donate as much as they want and deduct it?

Did you know that corporations are limited to how much in charitable contributions they can deduct on their federal tax return? Individuals are limited to 50% of their AGI, but corporations are limited to 10% of their net profit. So if a corporation makes $100 million in a year and wants to donate half their profits, tax law will limit their deduction to $10 million instead of the $50 million they donated. I think this is insane. Why not let individuals and companies donate as much as they want and deduct it?

Is that 10% solely for charities or does that catch a lot of other stuff as well? If so, are there other ways for a corporation to give its money and claim a deduction?

I agree. If this is merely a marketing ploy, then its success will benefit more than just the companies that choose to participate. If you don't like a company donating this money or otherwise earmarking it for charities, then do the "capitalist" thing and not support that product. It will correct itself toward one direction or another.

Is that 10% solely for charities or does that catch a lot of other stuff as well? If so, are there other ways for a corporation to give its money and claim a deduction?

It's for any donation to a non-profit organization. There are further restrictions on donations to a private foundation. The corporation can carryforward this deduction for 5 years until they use it up. After that, its lost forever.

There is one exception to the 10% rule. If a corporation donates its inventory, its not considered a charitable deduction. Also, if any company donates food stuff to charities that feed the needy, they can deduct double what they donate.

Are you serious?! There are many more things I'd be worried about than whether part of the profits were being donated for a good cause. Frankly, after Enron, shouldn't you be glad that a company is donating the money to a charitable cause, and not lining the pockets of some CEO?

Yes, they are and that is Bill Gates' point. Businesses should have a social responsibility to help out society rather than to just be a leech all the time.

And it makes good business too. If they help someone get on their feet, they have just created a consumer for their products.

I'm not necessarily talking about this cause. I'm sure it is a good one. What happens if it is something that you don't agree with?

I'm not necessarily talking about this cause. I'm sure it is a good one. What happens if it is something that you don't agree with?

Again..it's simple. You don't buy the product. Do you buy the wristbands for causes you don't agree with? For example...you might buy the "Live Strong" wristband, but may not buy the "Gay Rights" wristband. YOU control your donation, by deciding what you do or don't buy.

Again..it's simple. You don't buy the product. Do you buy the wristbands for causes you don't agree with? For example...you might buy the "Live Strong" wristband, but may not buy the "Gay Rights" wristband. YOU control your donation, by deciding what you do or don't buy.

And why are you advocating against gay rights? Pretty narrow minded if you ask me. :cool: