Bill Gates' Creative Capitalism

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/techinvestor/industry/2008-01-25-gates-creative-capitalism_N.htm

Bill Gates offered his vision Thursday for a new kind of capitalism that benefits the poor as well as the rich.

Microsoft Corp.'s chairman and co-founder, one of the world's wealthiest men, said business must work with governments and non-profit groups to stem global poverty and spur more technological innovation for those left behind.

To illustrate his push toward more social responsibility, he announced that Redmond, Wash.-based Microsoft teamed with Dell Inc., the Round Rock, Texas-based maker of personal computers, to sell a Red-branded PC.

The Red brand includes products sold by American Express Co., Apple Inc., Motorola Inc., and other companies that give a slice of the revenue to the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria. It was first announced at the forum's 2006 meeting by U2 singer Bono.

Gates said the Red-branded products have generated $50 million for the fund in the last year and a half.

"As a result, nearly 2 million people in Africa are receiving lifesaving drugs today," he said.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/techinvestor/industry/2008-01-25-gates-creative-capitalism_N.htm

Bill Gates offered his vision Thursday for a new kind of capitalism that benefits the poor as well as the rich.

Microsoft Corp.'s chairman and co-founder, one of the world's wealthiest men, said business must work with governments and non-profit groups to stem global poverty and spur more technological innovation for those left behind.

To illustrate his push toward more social responsibility, he announced that Redmond, Wash.-based Microsoft teamed with Dell Inc., the Round Rock, Texas-based maker of personal computers, to sell a Red-branded PC.

The Red brand includes products sold by American Express Co., Apple Inc., Motorola Inc., and other companies that give a slice of the revenue to the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria. It was first announced at the forum's 2006 meeting by U2 singer Bono.

Gates said the Red-branded products have generated $50 million for the fund in the last year and a half.

"As a result, nearly 2 million people in Africa are receiving lifesaving drugs today," he said.

So, isn't this essentially a new tax you are paying on these products?

So, isn't this essentially a new tax you are paying on these products?

I don't think so. In the case of the Apple 8G Ipod Nano, the Product Red version cost the same as the other available colors. Therefore it appears that Apple is actually giving a cut of their normal profit on those Ipods to the fund, rather than marking up the Product Red version.

I don't think so. In the case of the Apple 8G Ipod Nano, the Product Red version cost the same as the other available colors. Therefore it appears that Apple is actually giving a cut of their normal profit on those Ipods to the fund, rather than marking up the Product Red version.
Ya, right. You keep believing that.

BTW, I don't mind them passing a cost like this to the consumer. This happens to be good business. It results in a system that works more like the "Fair Tax".

However, please don't be blinded by the symbolism. With tax breaks for charitable contributions and an overall increase of prices on all product lines, I guarantee you, the corporations involved are not really taking a hit on this.

Ya, right. You keep believing that.

BTW, I don't mind them passing a cost like this to the consumer. This happens to be good business. It results in a system that works more like the "Fair Tax".

However, please don't be blinded by the symbolism. With tax breaks for charitable contributions and an overall increase of prices on all product lines, I guarantee you, the corporations involved are not really taking a hit on this.

Then where is the money coming from, cause in Apple's case they are not raising the prices on the "Red" branded merchandise. So any money going to the fund has to reduce their bottom line, as opposed to them selling the same identical product for the same price without the donation to charity.

And if someone willingly pays the extra money, then what skin is it off anyone's nose? You don't agree with the practice or the premise, don't buy those products!

Bingo. I agree with you young lady. I'd much rather the money being sent to help the poor this way (voluntarily) than the govt forcing me to help the poor by making me involuntarily pay more taxes.

Bingo. I agree with you young lady. I'd much rather the money being sent to help the poor this way (voluntarily) than the govt forcing me to help the poor by making me involuntarily pay more taxes.

I'm going to print your post and pin it up on my bulletin board! :D This may (to the best of my knowledge) be the first time I've gotten such an affirmative reaction from you on something I posted in this forum! :lol: :D

Ok then, maybe it isn't taxed on the consumer end, but if you were a stock holder of Apple aren't these profits being taken away from you for someone else's benefit?

Are you serious?! There are many more things I'd be worried about than whether part of the profits were being donated for a good cause. Frankly, after Enron, shouldn't you be glad that a company is donating the money to a charitable cause, and not lining the pockets of some CEO?

Ok then, maybe it isn't taxed on the consumer end, but if you were a stock holder of Apple aren't these profits being taken away from you for someone else's benefit?

Yes, they are and that is Bill Gates' point. Businesses should have a social responsibility to help out society rather than to just be a leech all the time.

And it makes good business too. If they help someone get on their feet, they have just created a consumer for their products.

Yes, they are and that is Bill Gates' point. Businesses should have a social responsibility to help out society rather than to just be a leech all the time.

And it makes good business too. If they help someone get on their feet, they have just created a consumer for their products.

Businesses provide jobs, which allow individuals to feed, clothe, and provide shelter and security to their families. No charity does as much good for society as our capitalist system. When I think of leeches, I tend to think of those people who take from society and give nothing in return.

I prefer choosing my own charities over having Mr. Gates decide which ones are most worthy for me.