Elliott Co. losing

Elliott lost the game not because Rose Hill dominated them, but because they had a very off night. Some of the Elliott fans made the comment during the warm ups that Elliott was not shooting the ball well and would possibly lose. Elliott shot 28% from the field and it was a 1pt ball game with 56 seconds left, that does'nt sound like domination to me, and does'nt say much for Rose Hill. Those that say Elliott did'nt have open looks evidently was not at the game, because Ferguson who was 2 of 15 from the field had several wide open looks that did'nt fall, as did others. They missed 11 shot within 3 ft of the goal. Rose Hill gave them their best shot and barely squeaked out a win, so the fans and posters should'nt be too egotistical, when it was a 1 point game with 56 seconds left, and Rose Hill being one of the big boys playing a little old puny school as Elliott county. Were you even at the game "Mole"?
You missed my jab back at happyolddad entirely, and twisted it the opposite direction. He was suggesting that the All A is not a true regional tournament like the kind Ashland and the real BIG SCHOOLS get to compete in. He was insulting all of us All A size schools. The fact that Rose Hill with about 90 kids in their school and Elliott County with 300 and some are competing in the All A makes them both PUNY in the eyes of the Ashlands, Russells, Boyd Countys and other big public schools. Elliott County and Rose Hill are in that boat together. I'd be mad at me too if I was saying what you thought I said, but I didn't. You can't find one post I've made that has insulted Elliott County. I do believe they are a top 5 team. I still believe they are the top team in this region. I believe that the Ferguson kid and the Faulkner boys are amazing athletes who deserve to play college ball somewhere. Many of their opponents haven't respected them by giving them so many open looks. Do you have a problem with any of that?

All I've said is that Rose Hill showed up ready to play. They did. That's not an insult to Elliott County. The insult would be to say that Rose Hill gave a halfhearted effort, showing no respect for Elliott County as an opponent. (What it sounds like you're doing to Rose Hill) If you can't tell Rose Hill good game without making excuses for why Elliott County didn't dominate them that's fine, but a top 5 team doesn't show up anywhere not ready to play and adjust if shots aren't falling. To deny that the Rose Hill kids played better defense than most of your opponents have this season is an insult to the hard work of some great kids that weren't wearing your teams colors Monday night. I say the polls are right and Elliott County is a top 5 team. Either they got outplayed on this one night by a very good opponent, or you're the one saying they didn't play their best and were beat by an inferior team so maybe they don't deserve the high ranking afterall.

Which is it?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You missed my jab back at happyolddad entirely, and twisted it the opposite direction. He was suggesting that the All A is not a true regional tournament like the kind Ashland and the real BIG SCHOOLS get to compete in. He was insulting all of us All A size schools. The fact that Rose Hill with about 90 kids in their school and Elliott County with 300 and some are competing in the All A makes them both PUNY in the eyes of the Ashlands, Russells, Boyd Countys and other big public schools. Elliott County and Rose Hill are in that boat together. I'd be mad at me too if I was saying what you thought I said, but I didn't. You can't find one post I've made that has insulted Elliott County. I do believe they are a top 5 team. I still believe they are the top team in this region. I believe that the Ferguson kid and the Faulkner boys are amazing athletes who deserve to play college ball somewhere. Many of their opponents haven't respected them by giving them so many open looks. Do you have a problem with any of that?

All I've said is that Rose Hill showed up ready to play. They did. That's not an insult to Elliott County. The insult would be to say that Rose Hill gave a halfhearted effort, showing no respect for Elliott County as an opponent. (What it sounds like you're doing to Rose Hill) If you can't tell Rose Hill good game without making excuses for why Elliott County didn't dominate them that's fine, but a top 5 team doesn't show up anywhere not ready to play and adjust if shots aren't falling. To deny that the Rose Hill kids played better defense than most of your opponents have this season is an insult to the hard work of some great kids that weren't wearing your teams colors Monday night. I say the polls are right and Elliott County is a top 5 team. Either they got outplayed on this one night by a very good opponent, or you're the one saying they didn't play their best and were beat by an inferior team so maybe they don't deserve the high ranking afterall.

Which is it?

Using this logic, should we say North Carolina and Tennessee should lose their high ranking after being beaten by a couple of unranked teams. I really don't think so myself, you can't base rankings on one game, otherwise there would be new rankings everyday.

Elliott County fans, and I am one, DROP IT!!!! What do rankings mean and who really cares? Let the players take care of business on the floor and those things take care of themselves. I am sure the team would not mind one bit if they were unranked and going to Richmond or Lexington!

Elliott County fans, and I am one, DROP IT!!!! What do rankings mean and who really cares? Let the players take care of business on the floor and those things take care of themselves. I am sure the team would not mind one bit if they were unranked and going to Richmond or Lexington!

They still have a very good shot at going to Lexington, but they won't be making the trip to Richmond. They lost that chance when they lost Monday night.

Using this logic, should we say North Carolina and Tennessee should lose their high ranking after being beaten by a couple of unranked teams. I really don't think so myself, you can't base rankings on one game, otherwise there would be new rankings everyday.
Criminy, that's not even close to what I'm saying here.

Either:

1) Elliott County deserved their high ranking before, during and after the game. Which I fully believe they did and do, and just happened to run into a very motivated Rose Hill team that did enough right to pull out a win on a given night.

OR

2) They've just been running up the score on a bunch of cupcakes only to fold against opponents who are able to compete with them.

OR

3) They simply overlooked Rose Hill by not getting pumped up to deliver their best effort for four quarters, in which case they probably didn't deserve their high ranking in the first place.

Some would call options 2 and 3 being "overrated."

For the record, lest anyone misunderstand. I (The Mole) do no believe Elliott County is now or ever has been overrated by the media or other coaches statewide. They have earned every accolade they have received outside of Sandy Hook. They represent the finest spirit of Kentucky high school basketball. The small school from the small town competing with the big schools in the bigger cities.

My point is that either Rose Hill ( a much smaller school by the way with about a quarter of the students Elliott County has ) is improving and much better than anyone seems to be giving them credit for, and just played a great game against another great team, (which I believe) OR the critics have been right all along and maybe Elliott County and Rose Hill weren't all that good to begin with.

Why some of the Elliott County posters can't simply say, "Great effort Rose Hill. Good game" and move on boggles my mind. Making excuses only minimizes the Elliott team, not the Rose Hill team.

By now though, any complement that has to be outlined, detailed and requested, isn't worth having anyway.

I hope we get to play again in March.

They still have a very good shot at going to Lexington, but they won't be making the trip to Richmond. They lost that chance when they lost Monday night.

No kidding! I am saying they would be happy to trade that #5 ranking for a win instead of the loss to Rose Hill.

I believe you are for real Don King, because you are talking in riddles to evade the truth just like Don King does on TV, and the truth is if Rose Hill had dominated there would have been more than a 1 point spread with 56 sec. remaining in the game. The stats show what the truth was. I doubt that you were at the game also. Rose Hill shot over 50% and Elliott 28%, and what goes through the hoop is what counts when deciding the game. That may be domination in your dictionary but not in mine.

Hold on now son, back in Cleveland them's fightin' terms. Please, understand that I didn't want to bring this up again, but you leave me no choice. Are you aware that your boys were outrebounded 42-25? That is domination. In Cleveland we refer to that as havin' your hiney handed to you on the glass. You always throw out those stats but conveniently leave that one out. Half truths son, half truths. And for your information, I was at the game. I can tell you that I thought the best official in the house was Roy Wright who was leaning against the bleachers on your side of the gym. I thought that the 3rd foul on Knipp was phantom. I thought that Rose Hill had nearly as many fans as Elliott. I also saw the dunk at the end of the game that Jackson flushed. I was there, enjoying the fantastic popcorn, great atmosphere, 2 solid teams playing their guts out all the time wondering what in the wide, wide, world of sports the mascot for Rose Hill is. Were you there? If not, you missed a really good contest, even if, as you say, your guys were "off".

I sure hope they rebound better next contest, Morgan or the like is counting on them being "off" too.

Only in America, baby!

Criminy, that's not even close to what I'm saying here.

Either:

1) Elliott County deserved their high ranking before, during and after the game. Which I fully believe they did and do, and just happened to run into a very motivated Rose Hill team that did enough right to pull out a win on a given night.

OR

2) They've just been running up the score on a bunch of cupcakes only to fold against opponents who are able to compete with them.

OR

3) They simply overlooked Rose Hill by not getting pumped up to deliver their best effort for four quarters, in which case they probably didn't deserve their high ranking in the first place.

Some would call options 2 and 3 being "overrated."

For the record, lest anyone misunderstand. I (The Mole) do no believe Elliott County is now or ever has been overrated by the media or other coaches statewide. They have earned every accolade they have received outside of Sandy Hook. They represent the finest spirit of Kentucky high school basketball. The small school from the small town competing with the big schools in the bigger cities.

My point is that either Rose Hill ( a much smaller school by the way with about a quarter of the students Elliott County has ) is improving and much better than anyone seems to be giving them credit for, and just played a great game against another great team, (which I believe) OR the critics have been right all along and maybe Elliott County and Rose Hill weren't all that good to begin with.

Why some of the Elliott County posters can't simply say, "Great effort Rose Hill. Good game" and move on boggles my mind. Making excuses only minimizes the Elliott team, not the Rose Hill team.

By now though, any complement that has to be outlined, detailed and requested, isn't worth having anyway.

I hope we get to play again in March.

If you did in fact "fully believe they did and do", there is no or#2 and #3. Why even add them in the mix? As for excuses, I have none. It's simple, Rose Hill won fair and square.

If you did in fact "fully believe they did and do", there is no or#2 and #3. Why even add them in the mix? As for excuses, I have none. It's simple, Rose Hill won fair and square.
I added #2 because that's exactly what some of Elliott County's big city critics have had to say about them, and #3 because if as some Elliott County fans seem to be saying, Rose Hill didn't play especially good, Elliott County just had an off night, it is the only reasonable conclusion.

If #1 is true, Elliott County fans need to step up and say "good game" and move on instead of making excuses that make #3 sound more likely.

It doesn't matter now anyway. Good luck the rest of the season.

I added #2 because that's exactly what some of Elliott County's big city critics have had to say about them, and #3 because if as some Elliott County fans seem to be saying, Rose Hill didn't play especially good, Elliott County just had an off night, it is the only reasonable conclusion.

If #1 is true, Elliott County fans need to step up and say "good game" and move on instead of making excuses that make #3 sound more likely.

It doesn't matter now anyway. Good luck the rest of the season.

That would make for a really good board .:eek: 50 repeat posts of "good game" without any debating as to why x team won and what y team didn't do to win the game etc. now, wouldn't it. I don't think the facts that Rose had more rebounds, shot a better percentage, had a better game plan debatedly, are excuses as to why they won just as I don't think the low shooting percentage some have stated about Elliott are excuses. Just facts. Good luck with Bath and you're right, it doesn't matter now, but makes for some good debates and that is what this site is all about.

This sounds like one of those "chicken or the egg" arguments. Did EC shoot a whole slew of threes because that was their game plan; or was it because most everything inside the arc was contested? I wasn't there so I don't know.