If Sophomores were draft eligible...

No way. He can't take a snap directly from under center, he has to have the shotgun. He either runs it up the middle, or throws it. He has a good enough arm and accurate enough arm, but his style of game does not fit the NFL.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No way. He can't take a snap directly from under center, he has to have the shotgun. He either runs it up the middle, or throws it. He has a good enough arm and accurate enough arm, but his style of game does not fit the NFL.

Taking a snap from center can be taught. If you admit to his arm strength and accuracy, you just admitted to the bulk of the physical battle that he will have to undertake to be an NFL QB. What we see in his style of play are the things that make him intriguing; no NFL scout will see this as a liability.

What I can't believe is people comparing Tebow to Vick and Young. Wow...

:rolleyes:

Come on GT, you're smart enough to figure my point out...or have I been giving you too much credit these past few years?

I'll elaborate though...the posts were implying that Tebow wouldn't be drafted in the first round, or he would have to change positions because he's a runner and can't pass. No, Tebow is not the athlete that Vick and Vince are. However, he's proven that he's an accomplished runner. He's also, IMO, ahead of those guys as a passer when they were the same age, so teams will take note of that. The reason I reference Vick and Young is that teams drafted those guys #1 and #3 (right?) despite questions about their passing ability...Tebow will be no different, IMO. The potential is there...

Steve Young wasn't quite the athlete that Vick or Vince is either, but he was a pretty accomplished dual-threat QB.

I don't know...I'll guess we'll see if I'm right or wrong when Tebow enters the draft.

Taking a snap from center can be taught. If you admit to his arm strength and accuracy, you just admitted to the bulk of the physical battle that he will have to undertake to be an NFL QB. What we see in his style of play are the things that make him intriguing; no NFL scout will see this as a liability.

Looks like we're a minority on BGP...

Like I said, I'm not going to debate on how Tebow's actual NFL career will go. But, with his skill set and potential, he's going to be one of the first QB's picked when he enters the draft. He's big, strong, athletic...he has a good arm, so he has the raw talent to be a successful passer in the NFL...yes, he has a lot to learn, but how does that make him different than any rookie QB? He won't be able to run like a FB 20 times a game in the NFL...I get that. But, like he said, he seems like a smart guy...I think NFL teams will view him as a guy they can teach and work with and mold into a smart, dual-threat QB.

And, please, when I say this, don't try to make it into more than I intend...but, I think NFL teams will see visions of Steve Young...a left-handed QB who can run effectively. No, I'm not saying Tebow will be that good, GT:p...just that NFL teams may hope he can develop into that type of guy. An accomplished passer, who can be an effective runner because he's smart about when and how he runs.

I'm like b2r, I don't get the negativity. You may think he'll flop as an NFL QB and that's fine...but to think that he won't be a coveted prospect is crazy. The skill set and raw talent is too much.

Looks like we're a minority on BGP...

Like I said, I'm not going to debate on how Tebow's actual NFL career will go. But, with his skill set and potential, he's going to be one of the first QB's picked when he enters the draft. He's big, strong, athletic...he has a good arm, so he has the raw talent to be a successful passer in the NFL...yes, he has a lot to learn, but how does that make him different than any rookie QB? He won't be able to run like a FB 20 times a game in the NFL...I get that. But, like he said, he seems like a smart guy...I think NFL teams will view him as a guy they can teach and work with and mold into a smart, dual-threat QB.

And, please, when I say this, don't try to make it into more than I intend...but, I think NFL teams will see visions of Steve Young...a left-handed QB who can run effectively. No, I'm not saying Tebow will be that good, GT:p...just that NFL teams may hope he can develop into that type of guy. An accomplished passer, who can be an effective runner because he's smart about when and how he runs.

I'm like b2r, I don't get the negativity. You may think he'll flop as an NFL QB and that's fine...but to think that he won't be a coveted prospect is crazy. The skill set and raw talent is too much.

:thumb:

The NFL is into drafting athletes and then fitting them into positions or schemes that work for them. Cromartie at San Diego had scarcely taken a college snap due to injury but was a great athlete and they have molded him into an All-Pro. Matt Jones at Arkansas gets turned into a red-zone wideout/tight end. Ever thought he'd have been around for 4 years? Hines Ward, QB to possession wideout with no speed. They turn undersized LB's into safeties, pass-rushing defensive lineman into drop LB's. Tim Tebow is a great athlete which will earn him a first-day spot. He might play QB, but I tend to think he'll be a TE or a WHAM back in certain systems.

There are a lot of good journeyman QB's around who can make some throws for a year or two while the Dolphins rebuild, for a lot less money. The Dolphins need to spend their money on offensive lineman and impact defensive players at liebacker and in the secondary, not on QB's.

Tebow will be a high pick, IMO...guys like Vick and Vince Young have been high picks...I see no reason to think Tebow won't be. He's a dual threat guy who has a lot of raw talent. He'd absolutely be in the discussion, IMO.

Those type of guys are also high at risk for injuries, too. A runnng quarterback in the NFL may not be around as long as you'd like.

I'm both shocked and amazed at some of the points made in this thread. I do think b2r and 5wide have made some valid points. Only time will tell who is right and wrong here. Even the so called "experts" can't agree, as referenced by the link b2r provided, where one draft has Tebow going #1 and another on the same site has him not even going in the 1st round!

My opinion has been and will always be this: Don't trust a Florida QB. From Danny Wuerrful to Rex Grossman, they have done nothing but prove that they were "system" QB's.

I haven't seen anything from Tebow to suggest otherwise. His arm leaves a lot to be desired IMO. That could change, much as Young developed in his last 2 years at Texas. Vick always had the arm, just didn't have (and still doesn't have) the mind. Tebow has no where near the athleticism of those two.

The one thing I keep coming back to is the Michigan game this year. Against and admittedly slower and less athletic defense, Tebow couldn't make the throws against the pressure man-to-man package that Michigan deployed.

He could be the next Steve Young or the next Eric Crouch........

Those type of guys are also high at risk for injuries, too. A runnng quarterback in the NFL may not be around as long as you'd like.

I don't disagree with that, but teams still draft them. The talent outweighs injury concerns...every player is an injury risk. Teams draft these guys with the idea/hope that they can mold them into dual threat guys (like Steve Young, Big Ben, etc.) who can use their running ability in a smart way...

My only point is that Tebow would be in the discussion for the first QB picked...his upside is bigger than the other three. He may not be as polished now, but look at past drafts...when there are no sure bets and all the prospects have questions about them, the upside often wins at the end of the day.