If Sophomores were draft eligible...

I'm both shocked and amazed at some of the points made in this thread. I do think b2r and 5wide have made some valid points. Only time will tell who is right and wrong here. Even the so called "experts" can't agree, as referenced by the link b2r provided, where one draft has Tebow going #1 and another on the same site has him not even going in the 1st round!

My opinion has been and will always be this: Don't trust a Florida QB. From Danny Wuerrful to Rex Grossman, they have done nothing but prove that they were "system" QB's.

I haven't seen anything from Tebow to suggest otherwise. His arm leaves a lot to be desired IMO. That could change, much as Young developed in his last 2 years at Texas. Vick always had the arm, just didn't have (and still doesn't have) the mind. Tebow has no where near the athleticism of those two.

The one thing I keep coming back to is the Michigan game this year. Against and admittedly slower and less athletic defense, Tebow couldn't make the throws against the pressure man-to-man package that Michigan deployed.

He could be the next Steve Young or the next Eric Crouch........

My argument is not that he'll be a huge success in the NFL...only that he'll be a high draft pick because of the potential he has. He may end up being a bust and it wouldn't surprise me one bit. All the arguments against him may turn out to be true, but ultimately, come draft day, I think his potential will win out over any concerns NFL teams may have.

Plus, I think Alex Smith may be a better comparison to Tebow than past Florida QB's...Smith ran the same offense Tebow is running. The other Florida QB's were playing for Spurrier.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm both shocked and amazed at some of the points made in this thread. I do think b2r and 5wide have made some valid points. Only time will tell who is right and wrong here. Even the so called "experts" can't agree, as referenced by the link b2r provided, where one draft has Tebow going #1 and another on the same site has him not even going in the 1st round!

I don't know that the other one had Tebow entering the draft.

My argument is not that he'll be a huge success in the NFL...only that he'll be a high draft pick because of the potential he has. He may end up being a bust and it wouldn't surprise me one bit. All the arguments against him may turn out to be true, but ultimately, come draft day, I think his potential will win out over any concerns NFL teams may have.

Plus, I think Alex Smith may be a better comparison to Tebow than past Florida QB's...Smith ran the same offense Tebow is running. The other Florida QB's were playing for Spurrier.

Honestly, besides the Bengals :lol: , who was the last QB that someone reached for with a high (1-5) pick that had serious questions about his ability to throw the football at the next level?

I think someone will take a shot at Tebow, if for no other reason than he does have a lot of potential athletically. He'll probably go mid 1st/early 2nd IMO. I just don't see a lot of teams wanting to reach for a guy that they have a lot of questions about when there are plenty of proven guys available with the early picks. A lot will depend on the QB class and other players that come out.

And for the record, I don't see Tebow as being comparable to Alex Smith. Same offense, not exactly. There was no Alex Smith power play in SY situations, and he was more of an elusive type (along with being a better passer). I really do see a lot of similarites with Tebow and Matt Jones.

Honestly, besides the Bengals :lol: , who was the last QB that someone reached for with a high (1-5) pick that had serious questions about his ability to throw the football at the next level?QUOTE]

Tim Couch

I'll give you that, which was what, almost 10 years ago? At minimum Couch at least played in an offense that required him to throw the football in order for his team to win.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I think NFL teams have become much more leary of drafting such QB's in recent times. Especially with the emergence of late round guys as solid QBs. Look at the freefalls of guys like Leinhart and Quinn. Both very, very successful college QB's yet they fell to the middle/late 1st round because of questions about their arms.

I'll give you that, which was what, almost 10 years ago? At minimum Couch at least played in an offense that required him to throw the football in order for his team to win.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I think NFL teams have become much more leary of drafting such QB's in recent times. Especially with the emergence of late round guys as solid QBs. Look at the freefalls of guys like Leinhart and Quinn. Both very, very successful college QB's yet they fell to the middle/late 1st round because of questions about their arms.

They we're considered mobile quaterbacks, though. Tebow's arm is better than folks are giving him credit for. He has all the tools, he just isn't required to use them in the collegiate offense he plays in.

Leinart went 10th. Hardly middle/late.