JV: Highlands 49 Scott County 20

jbwill2

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're not talking about college here. We're talking about a Junior Varsity game where the coaches are suppose to be developing players for the future, not worrying about winning by 4 to 5 touchdowns. I get your point about the QB should be playing that paticular position, but if the JV was in such need of a QB then Tony would be playing down. My other point is, he is just as good as the other freshman that played almost the entire game but is never given a chance because Dale doesn't like his QB's to play both ways.

Does the name Clay Cecil sound familiar?

Yeah, but this one kid being labled as a QB means that position is the only place he will play. This kid was one of the leading taklers last year in the 7th & 8th grade league. Why not use this kid like all of the other frosh that were moved up on maybe a couple special teams. He was once again the only player that didn't play more than 2 or 3 plays two weeks in a row. When your team is up the way they were on Sat, all players should play somewhere.

Today 12:43 PM

Jay Draper was a QB from JR football up to Freshman, then they turned him into a pretty good WR. As far as playing time for frosh at the JV level does the name Stein, Hurtt, Ball, Jurgens, Fitz and so on mean anything, they all were asked to play up from frosh to JV. Not one of them had much playing time. Dale knows what is right for the TEAM. He will move plyers around to better the team

Does the name Clay Cecil sound familiar?

Yeah, but this one kid being labled as a QB means that position is the only place he will play. This kid was one of the leading taklers last year in the 7th & 8th grade league. Why not use this kid like all of the other frosh that were moved up on maybe a couple special teams. He was once again the only player that didn't play more than 2 or 3 plays two weeks in a row. When your team is up the way they were on Sat, all players should play somewhere.

Today 12:43 PM

Jay Draper was a QB from JR football up to Freshman, then they turned him into a pretty good WR. As far as playing time for frosh at the JV level does the name Stein, Hurtt, Ball, Jurgens, Fitz and so on mean anything, they all were asked to play up from frosh to JV. Not one of them had much playing time. Dale knows what is right for the TEAM. He will move plyers around to better the team

Wrong. Dale has never played a QB on defense.

Ok, we're talking about a freshman QB, and a very good one at that. He has yet to participate in varsity Spring Ball. This is where the coaches will look at the talent and figure out who will fit where in their strategy for next year. Relax and enjoy otherwise it will be a long next three years at this pace.

Ok, we're talking about a freshman QB, and a very good one at that. He has yet to participate in varsity Spring Ball. This is where the coaches will look at the talent and figure out who will fit where in their strategy for next year. Relax and enjoy otherwise it will be a long next three years at this pace.

I hope those seasons are not as long as this season has been. :mad:

Thanks cardsfanman.

I understand SC was 25-1 in their last 26 JV games before the Birds put one on them.

I think these teams playing each other is a good thing.

Also, Scott County is definitely a public school to watch on the hunt for Green Giants.

Wow, I didn't realize Scott Co had been so dominant in JV games. I agree about the two programs playing one another. It would be nice if the varsity games could be arranged. A lot in that game for SC, as a match up against Highlands would help them prepare for Trinity (team speed wise) and SC would present a nice challenge for Highlands and not be very far away.

I've stayed out of this debate until now Sweep, but I totally disagree that its not considered an honor to be asked as a frosh to be on the JV squad.

The point of JV games is to develop future players, but that doesn't mean just future qbs. No disrespect to the frosh qb because he looks like he may turn into a good one, but the chances of him being able to run the JV offense right now aren't near as good as Turner is doing it (the Highlands frosh offense is only a small part of the varsity offense that the JV runs). And a whole lot of offensive players benefit and improve when the offense is successfully ran. So this isn't about what's best for the frosh qb; its what's about what is best for the rest of the players. And if Dale and the JV coaches think Turner is what's best for the JV team (which they obviously do and based on his performance they are right) then they play Turner. The frosh kid will get his chance. I don't think either of my sons got in one JV play as frosh. It didn't ruin them to stand on the sidelines and watch.

So not playing a backup QB up 21 points with around 8:00 minutes left isn't the right thing to do. Doesn't sound like they're trying to keep kids interested at all. A couple of posts here are basically saying he should be playing QB the whole game. Not me, i am simply saying when the TEAM is winning by multiple TDs in a RESERVE game, give some younger kids a chance. I'm not taking shots at Dale, isn't that the first Cardinal rule in Ft Thomas. Don't bash the football coach!! I just think there is a time and point when the coaches should say, it's time to develope some younger talent. Make some wiser and more sensible decisions. That's all!!

So not playing a backup QB up 21 points with around 8:00 minutes left isn't the right thing to do. Doesn't sound like they're trying to keep kids interested at all. A couple of posts here are basically saying he should be playing QB the whole game. Not me, i am simply saying when the TEAM is winning by multiple TDs in a RESERVE game, give some younger kids a chance. I'm not taking shots at Dale, isn't that the first Cardinal rule in Ft Thomas. Don't bash the football coach!! I just think there is a time and point when the coaches should say, it's time to develope some younger talent. Make some wiser and more sensible decisions. That's all!!

The same argument can be made at the Frosh level as well. Get more kids in and get that valuable PT during game situations.

Nice post. You made your point in a very civil way. Well done.

I hope a frosh doesn't have to get playing time on the JV level to remain interested in playing Highlands football. Frankly, what has impressed me the most in all the years I have followed Highlands football is not the success of the better athletes like the Guiduglis, the Lorenzens, the Smiths etc, rather its those less athletically inclined kids that attend all the practices and run all the sprints, yet stand on the sidelines and rarely get in the games. Those are the kids that impress me. They remain very interested in playing for and being part of the Highlands football program. To me, those kids are Highlands football.

And I love it when some of those kids, whom you looked at when they were younger and you thought they'd never make it onto the field, through hard work and committment during all the years they never really got to get on the field eventually as seniors end up starting. Those are the kids that inspire the heck out of me.

The frosh qb will get his time. Hopefully he doesn't get discouraged. Frankly, what I know of him, I think he has a stronger constitution than to allow the lack of playing on the JV level to cause him to lose interest in the football program. He comes from a family of competitors and my guess his lack of playing JV will only cause him to work harder to show the coaches, on all levels, that he is and will be a very good Highlands qb. And if he can't get on the field as a qb, that he wants to be on the field some where at some position. I'm sure he'll get the opportunity to make that statement come spring football.

And to be fair, while I don't remember exactly what time it was in the game, the frosh qb did get inserted into the game on at least 2 series. Unfortunately there were fumbles on I think the first play of each series which reduced his playing time. That's not the coaches fault.

I'm just not believing what I am reading in this thread. For a frosh or frosh parent to not understand that being asked to dress JV is an honor is nuts. If you get to play in the JV game it is a bonus. There are dozens of freshman that would love to be asked to be on the sidelines as a representative of the JV team.

What will this kids parents do when the Frosh are invited to dress varsity in the playoffs? Will they tell him to opt out and sit in the stands because he will probably never see field time as a QB in these games? I'm betting the Player is not the one doing all the complaining over the role he has been asked to fulfill.

Highlands football is great because players make sacrifices. They switch positions when asked, they do what is asked for the best of the TEAM. There are seniors that practice every day, work their tails off for years and only see occasional field time. They do it because they love the game, love the tradition and they do it for the TEAM! That is what makes Highlands Football SPECIAL!

While i would rather not mention any names but i had a discussion with a older gentlemen about a few of his opinions. Keep in mind, these were only his opinions which is sometimes on BGP the only way to express them. Doesn't mean that Highlands Football will change. Heck, why fix something that isn't broke. His concerns were that some players aren't playing certain roles on JV that will not benefit the Varsity team next year. He also said that he thought playing JV was about developing these young men for the next couple of years rather than worrying about winning every game. Sure, everbody wants to win but it doesn't always mean your helping the program at the end of the day. I'm sure if it was reversed and the JV was getting crushed every game we would all be voicing why certain players weren't playing certain positions to help the team win!!!! Sure it is a honor to move up and play with the older guys but to compare playing time with the JV and the Varsity is not a fair comparison IMO. There is a big difference!!!!!!

I for one was impressed with a few players from Scott County. The QB was a great athelete that could do just about anything. And the backs, man they were big!!!! All in all Highlands did what they needed to do to get the job done. Oliver Head, wow!!!!!!!!!! Well done guys.