Player conduct while on the road.

KYNINERSFAN

Who is responsible for the conduct of ballplayers while they are visiting in other cities ? Parents ? Coaches ? The school ? I have witnessed a couple of sad displays in the past month. It really saddens me to see this because it does look bad on the school. I was behind 3 athletes in a resturant just the other day and witnessed them making fun of the weight of the young woman working behind the counter filling their order. I have always been told that having sports in our schools is a privilege not a necessity. Our young women and men need to remember that. Just wandering what everyone thinks about this.

I believe a person is responsible for their own actions, but the kids and their actions are certainly a reflection on their parents, schools and teams. While I believe a person is responsible for their own actions, it's up to the coaches to discipline his players if their conduct is unacceptable.

I was behind 3 athletes in a resturant just the other day and witnessed them making fun of the weight of the young woman working behind the counter filling their order.

You should have told them that she has, strangely sensitive hearing, and has a habit of spitting in peoples food.

I believe a person is responsible for their own actions, but the kids and their actions are certainly a reflection on their parents, schools and teams. While I believe a person is responsible for their own actions, it's up to the coaches to discipline his players if their conduct is unacceptable.

Well said. The responsibility ultimately lies with the individual. But, if the players are on a trip with the team, I believe the coaches hold the burden of punishment, and of course, if the parents are present, they have a certain about of responsibility to reprimand as well.

The actions of the player do reflect, not only the players, but the school, the coaches, the school, and the parents.

Who is responsible for the conduct of ballplayers while they are visiting in other cities ? Parents ? Coaches ? The school ? I have witnessed a couple of sad displays in the past month. It really saddens me to see this because it does look bad on the school. I was behind 3 athletes in a resturant just the other day and witnessed them making fun of the weight of the young woman working behind the counter filling their order. I have always been told that having sports in our schools is a privilege not a necessity. Our young women and men need to remember that. Just wandering what everyone thinks about this.

If you knew (or could reasonably find out) the School the players were from...I would certainly contact the Head Coach and make him aware of their conduct. I'd also try and get a pretty good description of the players.., time , date....etc. Make the HC aware and put it in his lap. See how he feels about the image and conduct of his players / team.

"hate rude behavior in a man......won't tolerate it"

What happened to the days of yesteryear when the school or coaches had to displine your children or young adults? Parents, then, were in control of their offspring, and you dare not give the notion that there was the slightest thought of anything but your best conduct, or you were denied the privledge of participating in anything outside of the home.

Anyone out there remember those days? :sssh:

What happened to the days of yesteryear when the school or coaches had to displine your children or young adults? Parents, then, were in control of their offspring, and you dare not give the notion that there was the slightest thought of anything but your best conduct, or you were denied the privledge of participating in anything outside of the home.

I remember those day's. Back then if I backed talked my parents or acted up in school not only get in trouble in school I also got it when I back home I guess you could say double the punishment. As the old saying goes you take the 10 commandments and the paddle out of the schools you might as well make bigger jails or state prisons.

I remember those day's. Back then if I backed talked my parents or acted up in school not only get in trouble in school I also got it when I back home I guess you could say double the punishment. As the old saying goes you take the 10 commandments and the paddle out of the schools you might as well make bigger jails or state prisons.

Those days are still in effect in some households. My children have been brought up to respect people. I know many families who have great children who are very respectful to anyone they meet. These are just a few bad apples in a big barrell. There parents are probable just about the same as they are. I can only speak for the children that play for Russell. The ones that I have seen are very respectful. Yes the bad apples are out there but they are not the majority.

If you knew (or could reasonably find out) the School the players were from...I would certainly contact the Head Coach and make him aware of their conduct. I'd also try and get a pretty good description of the players.., time , date....etc. Make the HC aware and put it in his lap. See how he feels about the image and conduct of his players / team.

"hate rude behavior in a man......won't tolerate it"

I would agree with this, contact the head coach and make him aware of the situation. It's tough to keep an eye on 50-75 student-athletes.

Good programs let their players know up front what is expected in all settings (overnight trips, eating at restaurants, on the sideline, in the hallways and classroom at school, and out in the community). You cannot just assume that they will know how to act, just like you can't assume that they know the fundamentals of the sport just because they played in youth leagues and middle school. The coaching staff must set the standards and have consequences for ALL that decide to abuse these standards.

Who is responsible for the conduct of ballplayers while they are visiting in other cities ? Parents ? Coaches ? The school ? I have witnessed a couple of sad displays in the past month. It really saddens me to see this because it does look bad on the school. I was behind 3 athletes in a restaurant just the other day and witnessed them making fun of the weight of the young woman working behind the counter filling their order. I have always been told that having sports in our schools is a privilege not a necessity. Our young women and men need to remember that. Just wandering what everyone thinks about this.
Coaches are responsible for the actions of their players. Who are "accountable" for the conduct, is the Players themselves.

If student-athletes choose to make ill-advised remarks, comments or gestures, they will because that is who they already are. Their personalities, traits and characteristics of behavior, are in place. Some may have this tolerated at home, while others are corrected.

I'm certain most Coaches, would never tolerate disrespectful behavior, by any of their own players, in a public setting. I've even seen many, who would correct a player, while he was talking to his own family/parents.

I remember them. I knew better to get into any trouble.

At NC when I was there Coach Jim Conner would tell every class that while you were wearing your school jacket that you were actually wearing a neon sign on your back for all the world to see and to imagine that everyone that you saw could be Jesus Christ and behave as Catholic Gentlemen should .

Yes, I remember those days well. Not only was I raised in those days but my children were raised that way and I'm proud to say so are my grand children being raised in the ways of yesteryear.