Is Marvin Lewis' time up as Head Coach?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow I cant believe people are still blaming Brown for everything..I hope you do realize that the core of this team, is players that he pretty much drafted, since he was the one always in charge of the drafts before Marvin came. He has paid BIG money to keep this great offense intact...However he has a defensive coach who keeps has his defense getting worse every year he is here...Mike Brown is not the problem anymore people, or atleast not the biggest problem like he use to be...

So the list has continued we have now had Marvin, Rudi, Chad, and Mike Brown be blamed for why the Bengals are not doing good. So I guess the next person really will be Palmer that people start saying is the problem...

Name for me a big name free agent that Brown has gone after and signed. They have no GM and the smallest scouting department in the league. They were so terrible for so long that eventually they had to draft a few good players. Carson Palmer fell in their lap b/c they won 2 games the year before. They will never be a good franchise until something changes w/ that family. Either they sell (Never) or they get in their pockets to get a scouting department and GM. The only way that would happen is if Palmer stepped up and said he were leaving if that didn't happen, b/c if he left so would the fans.

Marvin has had some bad drafts, but he also hasn't had the best input from the franchise. He starts scouting college players after the NFL season is completed. Good franchises have scouts scouting the college kids during the season.

Name for me a big name free agent that Brown has gone after and signed. They have no GM and the smallest scouting department in the league. They were so terrible for so long that eventually they had to draft a few good players. Carson Palmer fell in their lap b/c they won 2 games the year before. They will never be a good franchise until something changes w/ that family. Either they sell (Never) or they get in their pockets to get a scouting department and GM. The only way that would happen is if Palmer stepped up and said he were leaving if that didn't happen, b/c if he left so would the fans.

Marvin has had some bad drafts, but he also hasn't had the best input from the franchise. He starts scouting college players after the NFL season is completed. Good franchises have scouts scouting the college kids during the season.

I will name you a few..Carson Palmer, Chad Johnson, TJ, Levi, Willie, Rudi, Sam Adams...Some of you really need to let all your hatred of Mike Brown go away. Yeah he was absolutely terrible for the Bengal in the 90's and was cheap and didn't do anything right..However he has changed how he does things. Yeah we haven't went out and signed any big names from other teams. Because we are signing and keeping the big names we already have on this team...Yeah I know Palmer wasn't a free agent, but we signed him to extension so we dont ever have to worry about him leaving, the same with Chad, Levi, etc...

Also bad excuse for Marvins drafts..Because as I just pointed out, Lebeau and Mike Brown put together this core of players on this team through the draft..But how could they have done that if it is impossible to draft good apparently, since that is the excuse you have used for Marvin...

I will name you a few..Carson Palmer, Chad Johnson, TJ, Levi, Willie, Rudi, Sam Adams...Some of you really need to let all your hatred of Mike Brown go away. Yeah he was absolutely terrible for the Bengal in the 90's and was cheap and didn't do anything right..However he has changed how he does things. Yeah we haven't went out and signed any big names from other teams. Because we are signing and keeping the big names we already have on this team...Yeah I know Palmer wasn't a free agent, but we signed him to extension so we dont ever have to worry about him leaving, the same with Chad, Levi, etc...

Also bad excuse for Marvins drafts..Because as I just pointed out, Lebeau and Mike Brown put together this core of players on this team through the draft..But how could they have done that if it is impossible to draft good apparently, since that is the excuse you have used for Marvin...

Signing people on your own team when you aren't that good gets you to still be not that good. For evidence of that look at the fact that they are about .500 w/ Marvin as a coach. They wanted Sapp, but somehow he wasn't signed. Marvin might have changed his mind, but I'm guessing Browm penny pinched. Brown changed his ways a little bit, but that's b/c the fans quit coming to the game and filed a law suit against him. Now that the seats are full he hasn't done anything. There big signing this year was E. Hartwell.

When you pick in the top 8 in every draft for 15 years you eventually have to get some of the draft picks right. If they didn't get Carson Palmer they would still be teriible instead of just average. All of the good franchises spend money. The Bengals do not.

When you pick in the top 8 in every draft for 15 years you eventually have to get some of the draft picks right. If they didn't get Carson Palmer they would still be teriible instead of just average. All of the good franchises spend money. The Bengals do not.

The Bengals are on record as saying they will not play the Cap game which is almost required in order to bring in many of the impact FAs. My guess is that they are close to the cap limit in real dollars unlike other teams who are at it with dollars they are going to have to roll into an upcoming season.

The Bengals are on record as saying they will not play the Cap game which is almost required in order to bring in many of the impact FAs. My guess is that they are close to the cap limit in real dollars unlike other teams who are at it with dollars they are going to have to roll into an upcoming season.

That's why they're not good and other teams are. When you have Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, or Carson palmer you try to win the prize any way you can for how ever long they can win it for you. Dallas will do the same if this 4 game stretch for Romo looks like it's real.

Brown won't play the cap game b/c it takes away money from him. It's really simple.

That's why they're not good and other teams are. When you have Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, or Carson palmer you try to win the prize any way you can for how ever long they can win it for you. Dallas will do the same if this 4 game stretch for Romo looks like it's real.

Brown won't play the cap game b/c it takes away money from him. It's really simple.

I'll agree with everything other than the last line. My guess is that they're pretty close to the cap this year so he's spending money. The other teams who have played the cap game may be at the limit but they're not actually paying all of that money this year. Some of it is from signing bonuses that were stretched out over a period of time that was longer than the player actually played. So , if the cap is $60M(guess on my part), they may show they're at $60M but its not for the players on the field.

So, I don't think Mike is pocketing any money unless he's not at or near the cap.

I'll agree with everything other than the last line. My guess is that they're pretty close to the cap this year so he's spending money. The other teams who have played the cap game may be at the limit but they're not actually paying all of that money this year. Some of it is from signing bonuses that were stretched out over a period of time that was longer than the player actually played. So , if the cap is $60M(guess on my part), they may show they're at $60M but its not for the players on the field.

So, I don't think Mike is pocketing any money unless he's not at or near the cap.

There is a lot of talk that teams like New England and others play the cap game differently. They have a "deal" that they'll pay some players after they no longer are employed. Great teams find ways around the "rules". He only cares about himself making a lot of money. He could care less about championships.

Why will Brown not play the cap game? He has a great QB who you need to give a chnace to win the next 5-7 superbowls. It may be 30 years before they get another chance like this.

There is a lot of talk that teams like New England and others play the cap game differently. They have a "deal" that they'll pay some players after they no longer are employed. Great teams find ways around the "rules". He only cares about himself making a lot of money. He could care less about championships.

Why will Brown not play the cap game? He has a great QB who you need to give a chnace to win the next 5-7 superbowls. It may be 30 years before they get another chance like this.

What they pay them later has no bearing on the cap. If the guy signs a $6 year $30M contract and only plays 4 years, the remaining $10M gets applied in the 5th year even though the player is not on the roster. MB has said that he thinks teams are taking a big chance. No surprise that Mr. Buttondown doesn't take chances.

Personally, I think Marvin is a good coach and I'd like to see Cincy stick with him. I think he's made some personnel mistakes by taking chances on questionable character guys and its backfired. Hopefully, he's learned from that...if I were in command in Cincy, I'd stick with Marvin assuming he agreed to one stipulation...no more questionable characters. If there is any doubt whatsoever, get someone else. Then, once the Bengals re-establish themselves as a no nonsense group where criminal behavior is not tolerated, it might be possible to operate like New England and take a chance on a guy if he comes along at the right price (see Moss, Dillon). Otherwise, go with high character guys.

That, IMO, has been the Bengals downfall. They chose talent over character too many times and it hasn't worked out. I really think if they'd fix that attitude, Marvin would be fine as head coach...I'm not sold that Cincy would end up with a better coach than Lewis if they axed him.

Personally, I think Marvin is a good coach and I'd like to see Cincy stick with him. I think he's made some personnel mistakes by taking chances on questionable character guys and its backfired. Hopefully, he's learned from that...if I were in command in Cincy, I'd stick with Marvin assuming he agreed to one stipulation...no more questionable characters. If there is any doubt whatsoever, get someone else. Then, once the Bengals re-establish themselves as a no nonsense group where criminal behavior is not tolerated, it might be possible to operate like New England and take a chance on a guy if he comes along at the right price (see Moss, Dillon). Otherwise, go with high character guys.

That, IMO, has been the Bengals downfall. They chose talent over character too many times and it hasn't worked out. I really think if they'd fix that attitude, Marvin would be fine as head coach...I'm not sold that Cincy would end up with a better coach than Lewis if they axed him.

Just curious, but what has he done to lead you to believe he's a good coach???

Maybe Marvin has done all he can do. Maybe he's great at invigorating a down-and-out franchise, building excitement, getting them to playing "solid" football but he can't get them over the hump. He's proven that he's not a GM. He has not proven that he's a top coach.

Maybe Marvin has done all he can do. Maybe he's great at invigorating a down-and-out franchise, building excitement, getting them to playing "solid" football but he can't get them over the hump. He's proven that he's not a GM. He has not proven that he's a top coach.

I didn't know he was given the GM title. I thought that was a Brown. I'd look there first when figuring out why this franchise has been where it has been and where it is now. I don't think Vince Lombardi would have had any more success in Cincinnati.