Is Marvin Lewis' time up as Head Coach?

I haven't read thru this whole thread, so I'm not sure I understand your comment. Why does Marvin want a GM? Is Marvin the one making all the player moves now, and if so, does asking for a GM admitting that he's not a very good evaluator of talent?

Marvin makes the moves and many think Mike Brown still has final say. What it comes down to is giving a guy with only assistant coaching experience the responsibility of not only learning how to be a head coach, but also controlling all aspects of the front office with the only person he has to answer to being inept. Add in that he's doing it with a cookie cutter staff and you see most of the problems that exist...

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hot seat? That is insanely funny. Maybe in 31 other cities, but not Cincinnati. Totally inept for 15 years before Marvin got here. Since he's got here they haven't had a losing seaon... 30 straight games have sold out... Everyone on the stadium is decked out in Bengal gear... There is a waiting list for season tickets... Marvin is a saint with his community projects... Mike Brown has finally found someone to be his unofficial GM and has given him the freedom to do as he pleases. IMO Marvin has got the job as long as he wants it...

this is so sad but true!

The problem is not with Marvin, the problem is MIKE BROWN.

he is more than happy at 8-8 or close to it, with a sell out crowd,

he is making money big time.

When they spend "Top 5 Money" on Justin Smith that tells you something.

On one hand, I agree that Marvin doesn't have a very talented team (especially defense) that has been riddled with injuries and poor personnel decisions (Mike Brown).

On the other hand, this team is poorly prepared offensively and defensively, which is the job of the coach.

I don't buy the injury excuse. It's something every team has to battle, and the great franchises don't allow it to slow them down. Where is the depth and consistency? When a player gets hurt, why isn't the next man in ready to perform?

Word is out that Marvin is asking for a GM, and if true maybe that helps solve the problem. It couldn't hurt IMO...

I'm not saying I disagree with your assessment because certainly there is a lot of truth in what you are saying. However, it takes time to build quality depth from within. This team is only 5 years removed from being the laughingstock of the league. Marvin came in and gutted the entire roster, knowing he would have to bring in some guys that were temporary fixes. Combine that with some career ending issues with top draft picks (Thurman, Pollack), some of the better reserves leaving for bigger roles this past year, and you can see why depth is an issue.

The next man isn't ready to perform because he was signed this week, went through training camp with another team, and simply doesn't have the overall talent of a starting NFL player.

I happen to think that the Bengals defense isn't as far off as people might think. The problems at LB are spilling over to all other areas right now. If they can find some quality replacements next year I think the D will improve as the young talent gets more seasoning. They won't be the '85 Bears by any stretch.......but it HAS to be better than this.

I'm more worried about the inconsistencies and age along the offense right now than anything else.

They won't be the '85 Bears by any stretch.......but it HAS to be better than this.

Second verse, same as the first. This has been said in each of the last four seasons, and yet here we still are. He's only had FIVE years to fix it? In the NFL that's a lifetime. Pollack was the only unfortunate injury, so draft mistakes don't fly with me either. Marvin wanted to be the face of the franchise, so here we are. This is on the guy calling the shots...

Second verse, same as the first. This has been said in each of the last four seasons, and yet here we still are. He's only had FIVE years to fix it? In the NFL that's a lifetime. Pollack was the only unfortunate injury, so draft mistakes don't fly with me either. Marvin wanted to be the face of the franchise, so here we are. This is on the guy calling the shots...

We are in complete agreement.:scared: