CCH and its Temporary Lights

cshs81

Here's the report from Enquirer writer Ryan Ernst on the temporary lights being used by CCH for the Beechwood game. They used them last night for a soccer game.

Bring a flashlight.

CovCath played its first soccer game under temporary lights at Wooten Field tonight, losing 3-1 to Ryle.

Friday night the Colonels will play the first home football game under the lights in program history. And after witnessing tonight's soccer game, I'm here to tell you, it's not ideal. The lights do light up the playing surface. But it's definitely not as bright as most high school stadiums. There are some shadows out there. And since the lights only extend about 25 to 30 feet in the air, punts could be an adventure.

I've always thought Beechwood was one of the darkest stadiums in Northern Kentucky. CovCath will be darker.

And the lights run on gas-powered generators (right). They're smelly and kind of noisy.

So bring a gas mask too ... and ear plugs. It should be interesting.

They are having a hard time drawing fan's to the home games this year. Just thought that a night game would draw more people.

This game w/lights was just not planned in the last few weeks, it was done before the season started. So, no one could have predicted crowds attending the games.

As for BHS's lights, at least they have permanent ones.

They only care that cshs is there, lol

cshs, were you there last night? Is it really that dark? I agree with his comment on Beechwood's lights.

I did not attend on Thursday. I am curious to see how well it works.

I applaud Mike Clines and others for attempting this. It may work. It may not. I also applaud Art's for donating the lights. Its nice to have boosters.

I have a few thoughts on CCH's temporary lights. Please don't anyone take this the wrong way. I can understand CCH's desire to make their Senior night something special, however, isn't is also the host schools resposibility to provide the best playing conditions possible? From the article is sounds like the field is lit yet dimly, but what about the fans trying to navigate to their seats in what sounds like could be darkness. The visitors stands can be tuff climbing into on a beautiful sunny afternoon for someone my age. I can't imagine trying to get down out of them in the dark. Also how is this fair to the opposing team. I can understand if there were unavoidable circumstance that a school needed to put up temporary emergency lights, but just to make it a special senior night hardly seems fair.

I understand that this isn't a district game or a play-off game but it still means everything to the players on both sides of the ball.

Good luck to both teams this should be a heck of a game.

I'm pretty sure Gallatin Co. is using temporary lights this year. Anyone been to one of their games? I haven't heard any comments for or against their situation.

It will be a pretty evening at kickoff, and everyone should be settled in before dark. I think the lights will give off enough to be able to see our seats. ICN-6 has to be aware of the situation, so I would guess the lighting will be sufficient.

I'm taping it, so I guess we'll know tomorrow!