Best players not to win Mr. Football

stick1

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who should have won Mr. Football, who should they have beaten out for the award and why?

:confused: The title of the thread reads "Best players no to win Mr. Football". I was merely stating my opinion on a few very good football players that did not win Mr. Football (as the thread was asking) as others were. I am not looking to get into a West/East debate with you on it. That was not the tilte of the thread and I didn't take it as the meaning of it. I did state that I felt that some EKY and NEKY kids get overlooked. That was not to discredit any other kid in any other part of the state.

Kasey Clark has to be mentioned. He was an all around football player. He could play offense and he could play defense just as well. He needs to be mentioned.

You are absolutley right. I cannnot believe that I forgot him. He definately deserves to be on the list if anyone does UKCF :thumb:. I wish him well at Murray State this season and beyond. :ylsuper:

You are absolutley right. I cannnot believe that I forgot him. He definately deserves to be on the list if anyone does UKCF :thumb:. I wish him well at Murray State this season and beyond. :ylsuper:

Well what about Josh Gross. He put Russell back on the map.

Paul Hornung :D

I have done a decent amount of research on Hornung and tend to believe you are correct that he was the best football player ever in Kentucky to not win Mr. Football. Much like a prototypical Michael Bush, he could do it all and do it all well. He could pass, run, and kick. He had size (6 ft. 2 in., 215 lbs), speed, guile, and toughness. This thread is "Best players not to win Mr. Football". Indeed, he did not win Mr. Football because "Mr. Football" did not exist at the time. Had it existed, and had he not won, you, myself, and UKCATSFAN could organize a picket of the "Mr. Football" apparatus! :D

Snippets regarding Hornung from an earlier thread on the Best High School Football player ever(Kentucky):

"Most people don't realize he not only played QB at Flaget he also punted, kicked field goals, pats and even played some on defense, if it was a close game.

In College at Notre Dame he played QB, HB, DE, punted, kicked off, kicked FGs, kicked PATs and was on the kick off return team. In fact in his final College game against USC he ran back a kick of 95 yards playing with TWO broken thumbs. He won the Heisman in 1956 (how many others from KY have won the Heisman?)

His ability to "do it all" continued into the NFL...Most people don't realize he held the NFL record for the most points scored by an individual player in a single season for 46yrs until LaDaian Tomlinson broke it last year. Just an FYI the Packers only played 12 games in 1960 when it set the record and he played RB.-176pts Paul Hornung, Green Bay, 1960 (15-td, 41-pat, 15-fg)

I might even venture to say he played on the best NFL team that ever existed the 1961 Packers team. He was like a greek god among men when he was in High School, he in his high School prime against any of the others mentioned in theirs, its no contest."

"No less than Vince Lombardi said of Hornung:"Paul is tremendous down near the goal line. He's the finest man I've ever seen when he gets down there."

His Notre Dame coach, Frank Leahy, said of the 6 ft. 2 in., 215 Ibs Hornung: "He runs like a mower going through grass." "And his kicking—why, when he reported to me as a freshman, he could punt 80 yds. and place-kick over the crossbar from 70 yds. out.""

I have done a decent amount of research on Hornung and tend to believe you are correct that he was the best football player ever in Kentucky to not win Mr. Football. Much like a prototypical Michael Bush, he could do it all and do it all well. He could pass, run, and kick. He had size (6 ft. 2 in., 215 lbs), speed, guile, and toughness. This thread is "Best players not to win Mr. Football". Indeed, he did not win Mr. Football because "Mr. Football" did not exist at the time. Had it existed, and had he not won, you, myself, and UKCATSFAN could organize a picket of the "Mr. Football" apparatus! :D

Snippets regarding Hornung from an earlier thread on the Best High School Football player ever(Kentucky):

"Most people don't realize he not only played QB at Flaget he also punted, kicked field goals, pats and even played some on defense, if it was a close game.

In College at Notre Dame he played QB, HB, DE, punted, kicked off, kicked FGs, kicked PATs and was on the kick off return team. In fact in his final College game against USC he ran back a kick of 95 yards playing with TWO broken thumbs. He won the Heisman in 1956 (how many others from KY have won the Heisman?)

His ability to "do it all" continued into the NFL...Most people don't realize he held the NFL record for the most points scored by an individual player in a single season for 46yrs until LaDaian Tomlinson broke it last year. Just an FYI the Packers only played 12 games in 1960 when it set the record and he played RB.-176pts Paul Hornung, Green Bay, 1960 (15-td, 41-pat, 15-fg)

I might even venture to say he played on the best NFL team that ever existed the 1961 Packers team. He was like a greek god among men when he was in High School, he in his high School prime against any of the others mentioned in theirs, its no contest."

"No less than Vince Lombardi said of Hornung:"Paul is tremendous down near the goal line. He's the finest man I've ever seen when he gets down there."

His Notre Dame coach, Frank Leahy, said of the 6 ft. 2 in., 215 Ibs Hornung: "He runs like a mower going through grass." "And his kicking—why, when he reported to me as a freshman, he could punt 80 yds. and place-kick over the crossbar from 70 yds. out.""

Two questions. When did flaget close? Was his Jersey retired in High School.

Anyone.

Great work!!!

:confused: The title of the thread reads "Best players no to win Mr. Football". I was merely stating my opinion on a few very good football players that did not win Mr. Football (as the thread was asking) as others were. I am not looking to get into a West/East debate with you on it. That was not the tilte of the thread and I didn't take it as the meaning of it. I did state that I felt that some EKY and NEKY kids get overlooked. That was not to discredit any other kid in any other part of the state.
When you make a comment that kids from a certain area gets overlooked, the question begs to be asked.

Yes, there was ... Pulley was the better player.

In your opinion. If you want to elabrate I would like to hear it. In head to head match up's Brandon won both games and one of those games were deep in the playoffs. (55-28 Boyle Co.) Hoptown never won a State Title while Pulley was there. In the years 01 thru 04 (Grad years 02 thur 05)Hoptown never beat Boyle. Brandon lead his squad for three seasons and won 2 State Titles and 1 Runner up Title. Hoptown won the Regional Title twice but lost in the game before the Championship. Pulley may have been a very good player at Hoptown and set some school records but to follow in the footprints left at Boyle Co. after 3 State titles to win 2 more and to get to the final your last and senior year is insane. Now make your case for Curtis.

In your opinion. If you want to elabrate I would like to hear it. In head to head match up's Brandon won both games and one of those games were deep in the playoffs. (55-28 Boyle Co.) Hoptown never won a State Title while Pulley was there. In the years 01 thru 04 (Grad years 02 thur 05)Hoptown never beat Boyle. Brandon lead his squad for three seasons and won 2 State Titles and 1 Runner up Title. Hoptown won the Regional Title twice but lost in the game before the Championship. Pulley may have been a very good player at Hoptown and set some school records but to follow in the footprints left at Boyle Co. after 3 State titles to win 2 more and to get to the final your last and senior year is insane. Now make your case for Curtis.
I saw both players play in person.

Smith was the better passer and probably the better all-around QB, but Pulley was a much better runner and was a star on the defensive side as well.

It's ridiculous to list Smith above Pulley strictly on the two Hopkinsville-Boyle County games. Smith had a much better supporting cast. Even if the two QBs had switched sides, Boyle would still have won.

Just wondering. Do you feel that all kids across the state are on a level playing field when it comes to Mr. Football selection?
For the most part, yes. Each daily newspaper across the state gets a vote, so votes aren't heavily skewed toward one particular area of the state.

Honestly, many instances where fans think players are overlooked because of geography are more of a case where a player's level of competition is a factor.

When you make a comment that kids from a certain area gets overlooked, the question begs to be asked.

I explained with the comment in my last post that it was not meant to discredit any other kid at all. Was jmo and I believe that you are trying to read something into it that is not there.

Again, read the title of this thread........."Best Players not to win Mr. football". I listed a few that I thought that were very good that did not win Mr. Football............period. That was the question of the thread.

So your comment / question of "who was better" (or something to that effect) begs the question of "Why" to be asked. I honestly don't know how to explain it any further or better.

ttt