Best players not to win Mr. Football

stick1

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw both players play in person.

Smith was the better passer and probably the better all-around QB, but Pulley was a much better runner and was a star on the defensive side as well.

It's ridiculous to list Smith above Pulley strictly on the two Hopkinsville-Boyle County games. Smith had a much better supporting cast. Even if the two QBs had switched sides, Boyle would still have won.

Again, it's Mr. Football award. To me this means how well you perform, what impact you have on your team and how well your team plays with you on it. Under Brandon leadership they win 2 State Titles and 1 Runner up, have an undefeated season, and a one loss season during a three year run. If Pulley was such a star on defense how does Brandon's offense hang 55 points on Hoptown in the game that sent Boyle Co. to the State Championship game? Better QB, better leader! Brandon did scramble when he had to but I'm sure Curtis had some better runs but he didn't lead his team through the playoffs as far as Brandon did for the three years he was at QB. IMO it wasn't a contest who was a better player and leader for each ones respected teams.

Again, it's Mr. Football award. To me this means how well you perform, what impact you have on your team and how well your team plays with you on it. Under Brandon leadership they win 2 State Titles and 1 Runner up, have an undefeated season, and a one loss season during a three year run. If Pulley was such a star on defense how does Brandon's offense hang 55 points on Hoptown in the game that sent Boyle Co. to the State Championship game? Better QB, better leader! Brandon did scramble when he had to but I'm sure Curtis had some better runs but he didn't lead his team through the playoffs as far as Brandon did for the three years he was at QB. IMO it wasn't a contest who was a better player and leader for each ones respected teams.

Brandon Smith is not better than Curtis Pulley. He did have a better team, and a better coach. You can say whatever you want to about the TEAMS playing head to head, but if you judging athletes, Pulley wins. Brandon was good, but if you were going to argue talented players between Boyle and Hopkinsville, you'd be better off using Jeff Duggins, probably one of Boyle's best players ever.

We'll just have to disagree on who and how this award is handed out. If they never hand it out again would be just fine with me because one player couldn't have done more to win it than Brandon did. If anyone has anywhere close to the run that Brandon and Boyle Co. did and doesn't have a Mr. Football this forum won't hold the number of posts that will be about it. I'm done, but one last thing from me I how both players do well for their respected college and wish nothing but great success for both. I believe both young men are great football players and I hope whatever they decide to do in life they continue with the way they played this game.

We'll just have to disagree on who and how this award is handed out. If they never hand it out again would be just fine with me because one player couldn't have done more to win it than Brandon did. If anyone has anywhere close to the run that Brandon and Boyle Co. did and doesn't have a Mr. Football this forum won't hold the number of posts that will be about it. I'm done, but one last thing from me I how both players do well for their respected college and wish nothing but great success for both. I believe both young men are great football players and I hope whatever they decide to do in life they continue with the way they played this game.

A run doesn't guarantee an award of such a high standard. Why do you refer to the run as Brandon and Boyle Co.? That TEAM was great. A number of people could've had that run with that team under Smith at Boyle Co.. In your honest opinion. Is Brandon Smith the best Boyle player ever?

Some players from NKY over the years.

Brad Dietz - QB CCH

Mark Pike - RB Dixie

George Duvall - RB Boone County

Jim Lokesak - RB Ludlow

Matt O'Toole - QB Dixie

Tim and Todd Shulte - CCH

Mark Meyer(?) - FB Scott

Chris Gaelicio (?) - QB HHS

Eddie Eviston - QB NCC

One that you didn't put up that should be added is Mike Woolfe, Cov Cath, 1987.

Brandon Smith is not better than Curtis Pulley. He did have a better team, and a better coach. You can say whatever you want to about the TEAMS playing head to head, but if you judging athletes, Pulley wins. Brandon was good, but if you were going to argue talented players between Boyle and Hopkinsville, you'd be better off using Jeff Duggins, probably one of Boyle's best players ever.

The only problem with this statement is that Jeff Duggins actually won Mr. Football. The thread clearly states "Best players to never win Mr. Football"...

I would say Derek Smith (stiff competition that year), Chris Redmon, Donnie Redd, Chester Ford (probably the biggest rip off in the voting ever), and Shelton.

It seems like the Danville players were both victims of poor choices by the voters. They were clearly the best players in the state in their respective years. The other guys I have listed were just victims of being up against other great Mr. Football winners in their class. Unfortunate for them.

I believe Danville has had 7 Mr. Football finalists without ever winning the award. I don't think there is another school that can say that. Maybe there is some sort of central KY/small conspiracy :scared: OOOOOOH A conspiracy. Can this thread handle it???

• 2 years later...