Best players not to win Mr. Football

stick1

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree with most on this one seems as tho all are good ones for Mr Football,Marty Regan and Justin Haddix in 2002 was going up against maybe best all around athlete in History of Kentucky Football Mike Bush of L'ville Male so how can anyone not like the pick of Mike Bush for Mr Football.......

Donnie Redd from Danville in 1989. He lost to a talented Pookie Jones who Quarterbacked some good but not great teams.

Redd was one of the state's top backs for 3 years making All-State 1987, 88, 89. He moved to QB his senior year so Harp could get more speed in the backfield and Redd did a pretty good job running from that new position. He led Danville to state titles in '87 and '89.

I never understood how he fell short in the voting that year.

The only other one I might mention from my area is Brandon Smith. He lost the 2004 Mr. Football to Curtis Pulley. Pulley was awesome and deserving. I too thought Smith was just as deserving with all of his passing yards, running ability, and success on the field (2 titles and 1 runner-up). I know that head to head matchups maybe shouldn't be factored but Brandon did lead the Rebels to 2 victories in as many matchups over Pulley and Hopkinsville.

Justin Haddix may have had the best stats of all time to have never won Mr. Football, and may have had better stats than some that did (4,300 yds. passing, 58 TD's-7 ints, 1,200 yds rushing 21 tds, and probably had 8-10 ints. as a safety on defense:eek: ). But pound for pound, Derek Smith was probably the best to not win it. He was an absolute beast on the football field. I remember seeing him at UK's passing camp one year and thinking he looked older than my dad. BTW, is he the only player to be runner up in Mr. Football and Mr. Basketball?