Glazer apologizes to Kentucky....

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7168974

A few weeks ago I wrote about my stop in Georgetown, Kentucky and it's caused quite the stir. I was quite disturbed with the reaction, so I'd like to take a moment to clear up some things about the story. People responded that they were genuinely hurt and that bothered me greatly. I try to entertain with Glaze Across America, not hurt.

First, despite the headline, I do not think the state of Kentucky is the pits. Far from it. I was writing about one little area of a state and even with that said, I found parts of Lexington to be absolutely gorgeous, just beautiful. I did however poke a little fun ... just like I've poked fun at other cities or towns and just like I've made fun of myself over and over and over again. I was disappointed in the reaction, hoping we could laugh at each other rather than get barraged with violent threats and enraged citizens thinking I was talking about anyone who's ever stepped foot at the Kentucky Derby.

People, these reports are not meant to offend, but rather to give a slice of life of the U.S. through my own sordid and demented little mind, as twisted as it may be. It's a tongue-in- cheek look at things that stand out on my tour and, yes, I look for humor, whether by finding something to rip on in the town or something dumb that I've done. Earlier this camp I wrote about a blood-splattered hotel room I checked into in a small town in Maryland. I once wrote a very similar column making fun of how police followed me from town to town as I drove through the Louisiana Bayou in a big, red Cadillac. I trashed the way I looked in that thing. Later this week, I'lle be writing about perhaps the dumbest thing I've ever done on the road in my life (which will be in my end of camp wrap-up).

In fact, if you read my column closely enough, I find humor in the fact that in my story about misspelled words, I have a misspelled word that got past me and my editors.

The reaction from Kentuckians was mind boggling as I received anything from, "You sure do have a pretty mouth," which was my personal favorite, to attacks on New York to threats of what they'd like to do to me in the woods down there.

For those Kentuckians who were offended by my words, that was certainly not my intention and I hope you will somehow understand that I was not trying to hurt anyone nor tarnish a group of people. For those Kentuckians whom I heard from who were entertained and saw the humor, I appreciate those words as well.

I was not asked to write this by anyone at FOXSports.com but I felt it necessary after receiving the feedback that came with the column. Again, the last thing I wanted to do was offend people who love their state and I was bothered by the fact that so many people took such great offense. It was supposed to be a fun slice of America and it turned into something that others felt hurt by. For that I couldn't be more sorry. So much so I also asked the people at FOXSports.com to actually pull the story, the first time I've ever asked for such a thing.

Would I ever go to Kentucky again? In a heartbeat. It's beautiful there and to be honest, I had a fun time and met some wonderful people. Sadly, judging by the letters and threats that followed up, I'd probably have to come with my own SWAT team. Would they welcome me back? Probably not, which is too bad. It's too bad that instead of trying to make me eat my words by proving me wrong, the fine folks who wrote in would instead try to make me eat their foot.

Again, it was never my intention to offend. Please people, let's not take ourselves so incredibly seriously. For those who follow my crazy escapades around the country, hopefully you can see my humor and realize, if we can't poke fun at the world it can often be a very boring place.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I was looking forward to seeing something like this:

Deer Kentukians,

I is sorey that you'uns took me so cereasly. I did knot meen to offence any1. Pleez dont hate me, bunch of rednex...

Or at least something similar...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Honestly, I was looking forward to seeing something like this:

Deer Kentukians,

I is sorey that you'uns took me so cereasly. I did knot meen to offence any1. Pleez dont hate me, bunch of rednex...

Or at least something similar...

You're a mess:laugh:

Here is the thing. If he meant for it to be funny and not offensive somewhere in the original article he should have said he was somewhat joking or teasing, but he did not. I think he is just trying to cover his tracks from the bad publicity.

Also who knows if someone really sent him what was said that was put in bold print. I believe he was lying about some guys selling moonshine out of the back of a truck (not saying that doesn't go on, I just don't think he would have driven far enough back out of town or suburban areas for him to see this. Really its hard for me to take what he says literally now.