Glazer apologizes to Kentucky....

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if he wasn't joking. Relax, there are people here that speak with a Kentucky dialect (accent), if you will, who cares. Own it.

If you took offense, why? If you say he wasn't joking b/c he never said it. Where did he say that Kentuckians were dumb uneducated people?

The article did not affect the way I am but it does criticize the type of people I know and grew up with. And that is annoying and stupid on his part. If you want to say it was funny to make fun of our state and a lot of the people in it and write a stupid article that was not entertaining then that is up to you. I found it to be pretty stupid and pointless.

The article did not affect the way I am but it does criticize the type of people I know and grew up with. And that is annoying and stupid on his part. If you want to say it was funny to make fun of our state and a lot of the people in it and write a stupid article that was not entertaining then that is up to you. I found it to be pretty stupid and pointless.
Stupid and pointless, yes. Offensive, no.

Again, if you are saying that he wasn't joking b/c he never came right out and said it, where did he say that Kentuckians are uneducated and dumb?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a quote by pigman on the other thread about Glazer.

My dad retired from IBM and also built houses. He could sit down as he would say "figure you a set of plans" as good as anyone. He raised five children went to church and was a good man. He had an eighth grade education, and often mispoke and mispelled . The shame of it is he would be looked down on by some people on this board.

The problem in the orginal article is he never even hinted that he was joking at all. I also believe some of his remarks were made up and untrue. As for saying the truth hurts. He painted an inaccurate desciption of much of the state, but made it sound like all of Kentucky was the same. I do not think his apology was legit. I feel like he did it because of all the bad press he had gotten from it.

Isnt that why most people in the public eye apologize publicly? Look at Mike Vick, Kobe Bryant, Kramer, etc etc..... these people didnt just wake up and change their viewpoints on other races, society, dogfighting, etc.... they do it to save face so they can continue their careers and earn a living. PERIOD.

Were you guys really offended by his article?
My standpoint is, he offended and stereotyped all of Kentucky, Georgetown and didn't deem it to be funny.

Did it affect me directly, No. Did he cause me to change my lifestyle, No. Did he give me cause to consider moving out of KY, No.

So offended, not personally but I can think of many across the state, who have little to nothing, get by day-to-day, speak with an accent, live in affordable dwellings and those who have it all....more importantly, I'm certain more aren't aware of Glazer or his defamatory diatribe, which is a great thing.

I don't dislike him at all because of the article he wrote about Kentucky. I've just really never enjoyed reading his articles. I didn't really enjoy the article on Kentucky but it didn't enrage me either. I do not think everyone should have gotten so mad...but...it is Kentucky.

I don't dislike him at all because of the article he wrote about Kentucky. I've just really never enjoyed reading his articles. I didn't really enjoy the article on Kentucky but it didn't enrage me either. I do not think everyone should have gotten so mad...but...it is Kentucky.
Don't you think though, that KY is looked down my most other states, for comments just like these.

I would guess, most who never visit KY, assume that overalls, no shoes, sprawling hills, poverty, lack of education, abound everywhere. He made of a mockery of the state and all citizens who reside in it.

I was brought up to believe and told often, "you're no better than anyone and no one, is better than you".....

98...were you born and raised in Kentucky?
ABSOLUTELY!

I lived here from the time I was born until I turned 24, lived in Cincinnati from July of 04 until November of 06. (Forced to move due to job) The day, literally the day, that I was allowed to live outside of the county in which I was employed (I work for the government) the wife and I started looking for houses in KY. I couldn't wait to get back.

I love KY, went to college at the University of Louisville and Northern Kentucky University.

I absolutely LOVE this state. Will probably live here until I'm filthy rich and move to the beach. ;)

All that being said, I know everything he said in the article was, for the most part, true. So I could not possibly get mad or be offended by it.

We are simple folks here in KY, we are "real" people, we are who we are and we're proud of it and don't care that other people dont understand it. I've been to every part of this state, and it's beautiful, the people are genuine and there is no other place like it in the country.

All of those above reasons are why I took absolutely no offense to that article and don't understand why anyone else would either.

I know it's just my opinion and you're certainly entitled to yours, I guess I'm just proud enough of my state and confident enough in the people of this state to brush it off and take it for what it was meant to be.

ABSOLUTELY!

I lived here from the time I was born until I turned 24, lived in Cincinnati from July of 04 until November of 06. (Forced to move due to job) The day, literally the day, that I was allowed to live outside of the county in which I was employed (I work for the government) the wife and I started looking for houses in KY. I couldn't wait to get back.

I love KY, went to college at the University of Louisville and Northern Kentucky University.

I absolutely LOVE this state. Will probably live here until I'm filthy rich and move to the beach. ;)

All that being said, I know everything he said in the article was, for the most part, true. So I could not possibly get mad or be offended by it.

We are simple folks here in KY, we are "real" people, we are who we are and we're proud of it and don't care that other people dont understand it. I've been to every part of this state, and it's beautiful, the people are genuine and there is no other place like it in the country.

All of those above reasons are why I took absolutely no offense to that article and don't understand why anyone else would either.

I know it's just my opinion and you're certainly entitled to yours, I guess I'm just proud enough of my state and confident enough in the people of this state to brush it off and take it for what it was meant to be.

I look at it differently. I don't like the fact that he poked fun at a lot of people in this state and talked down about them. I also believe some of the material in the article was exaggerated or false just to get the wow affect. Thats how I see it.

Don't you think though, that KY is looked down my most other states, for comments just like these.

I would guess, most who never visit KY, assume that overalls, no shoes, sprawling hills, poverty, lack of education, abound everywhere. He made of a mockery of the state and all citizens who reside in it.

I was brought up to believe and told often, "you're no better than anyone and no one, is better than you".....

I'm one that thinks you have to be able to make fun of yourself. Who cares about other peoples perception? If I worried about that, I'd go crazy...

ABSOLUTELY!

Here's the way I see it. To outsiders, there is a general "Kentucky" label. To Kentuckians, there is a difference between different parts of the state. If you're from Northern Ky or Louisville (or even Lexington) you look down on anything or anyone east of I-75 and south of I-64. Most see it as the "backwards" part of Kentucky - the Kentucky of the stereotypes.

It's easier for those folks not in that particular quadrant of the state to laugh at those jokes that Glazer made because you see it as "They're making fun of Kentucky, but not me. I'm not like them in the southeast."

It cuts a little deeper for everyone else.