2007/2008 Lexington Catholic

Lexington Catholic will definately be a contender for the 11th Region. And should they win the toughest region in the state, they would be a strong pick to take the Sweet 16.

The trio of Novosel, Smart, and Stewart may just be the best trio in the state this year. Stewart may be one of the biggest surprises over the summer has he showed great development and was one of the top campers at the UC Elite Camp.

I've read the skeptics opinions on here about Botkins. Botkins is NOT a flashy player and will not be setting any gym on fire with fancy dribbling or shooting. What he will do is what the coach ask and he will do as instructed with 110% effort. He's efficient and doesn't make hardly any mental miskates. He has poise and will do a fine job on both ends of the court for an extremely balanced and disciplined LC squad.

Lexington Catholic will definately be a contender for the 11th Region. And should they win the toughest region in the state, they would be a strong pick to take the Sweet 16.

The trio of Novosel, Smart, and Stewart may just be the best trio in the state this year. Stewart may be one of the biggest surprises over the summer has he showed great development and was one of the top campers at the UC Elite Camp.

I've read the skeptics opinions on here about Botkins. Botkins is NOT a flashy player and will not be setting any gym on fire with fancy dribbling or shooting. What he will do is what the coach ask and he will do as instructed with 110% effort. He's efficient and doesn't make hardly any mental miskates. He has poise and will do a fine job on both ends of the court for an extremely balanced and disciplined LC squad.

I dont know about that. I wouldnt say they are as good as any combination of Mackey, Lee, Hundley, Portwood or Phares. Also, I wouldnt put those 3 ahead of Darius Miller, Setty, and Middleton at Mason Co. They are a lot better team with Sanford though. He will make a big difference for LexCath.

The rumors around the Catholic football game on Saturday was that V. Sanford has already been found eligible to play, if so, this will be a very big boost to Catholic's chances.
I don't know the circumstances of Sanford's move, but I'd like to know how he would be eligible.

Agreed IMO. Comparable of better than any combination of three Scott County or Mason can put on the floor. Miller is the best of those mentioned by LMB, Mackey 2nd Then Novosel and Stewart. Then Smart matches up very favorably with any of the rest of the guys I perceive to be spot-up shooters, Portwood, Middleton, Setty.

I've read the skeptics opinions on here about Botkins. Botkins is NOT a flashy player and will not be setting any gym on fire with fancy dribbling or shooting. What he will do is what the coach ask and he will do as instructed with 110% effort. He's efficient and doesn't make hardly any mental miskates. He has poise and will do a fine job on both ends of the court

Botkin played for us this past summer out in LA against very good competition and did very well! Shot well for us, did very good on both ends of the floor and as you stated, he is efficient and hardly ever makes mental mistakes, he is a well balanced player who will do whatever a coach ask of him. Botkin will really help Lex Cath this year.

I would guess that starters will be Botkin, Sanford, Smart, Novasel, Stewart. There is no weakness with this group. They are all a threat to score. They can all five shoot the three, although I wouldn't expect many attempts by Novasel as he is normally the five man on there secondary break. For this reason they will be very difficult to gaurd. They also pass very well. Botkin and Sanford are both very athletic and will compliment each other very well. They can both shoot the three or take you off the dribble. Smart can light it up from three. Stewart and Novasel are a very difficult pair to defend as their styles compliment each other. The bench will also be very strong.

This group will be bringing the "Blue Heat" which could very possibly be more than the "Red Heat" can handle this year.

Agreed IMO. Comparable of better than any combination of three Scott County or Mason can put on the floor. Miller is the best of those mentioned by LMB, Mackey 2nd Then Novosel and Stewart. Then Smart matches up very favorably with any of the rest of the guys I perceive to be spot-up shooters, Portwood, Middleton, Setty.

I guess we can just agree to disagree. LexCath has a nice team, but I disagree about those 3 being better than the other teams. They will be a force to be reckoned with though.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know the circumstances of Sanford's move, but I'd like to know how he would be eligible.

My understanding is that when you physically move, you have an option on whether you enroll in the public school in that district or the private one.

Vince Sanford chose the private school, Lexington Catholic. The irony of this situation is that his father coached last season at Lafayette, his son's former school.

Does anyone know he his father will still coach at Lafayette or can I make an educated guess and answer my own question?

LC and Mason were very evenly matched last year, with each winning on their home floor. I thought that Stewart and Smart gave the Royals fits...