Your Regions All Time Basketball Team

I did not say that I saw Conley play in person, I said I was going on personal knowledge. Please read my post again if there is any confusion.

With all due respect, there is no confusion on the part of The Kingfish. You said your opinion was based upon "personal knowledge" which means that you saw him play. Now, if others told you about Conley or if you read something or if you just have certain loyalties/prejuduces, that is not "personal knowledge".

Nonetheless, you are entitled to your analysis regardless of any lack of real personal knowledge. There is no need for us to spilit hairs and no one has more regard for the accomplishments of Larry Conley than do I. However, I believe most would agree (many reluctantly) that Mayo was better. You, for whatever reason, see otherwise which is absolutely fine with me.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ervin Stepp alone lit up many a net, the rest of these guys were incredible in their own right as well. Put all of these guys on the court at the same time and the nets may have lasted 10 minutes, if they were lucky! :ylsuper:

If you put all those guys on the floor at the same time, there wouldn't be enough basketballs to go around!:lol:

With all due respect, there is no confusion on the part of The Kingfish. You said your opinion was based upon "personal knowledge" which means that you saw him play. Now, if others told you about Conley or if you read something or if you just have certain loyalties/prejuduces, that is not "personal knowledge".

Nonetheless, you are entitled to your analysis regardless of any lack of real personal knowledge. There is no need for us to spilit hairs and no one has more regard for the accomplishments of Larry Conley than do I. However, I believe most would agree (many reluctantly) that Mayo was better. You, for whatever reason, see otherwise which is absolutely fine with me.

Yes, you must be confused because I never once said that I saw Conley play in person. However, maybe someone could see tape and make a decision, there are many ways to have "personal knowledge". I never saw Babe Ruth play in person but I can make an educated decision of how I would rank him among the baseball greats. Do not go on about "lack of real personal knowledge" when you don't know me, it makes you look like you know very little of which you speak. I am not trying to make this personal, but I would like for you to not misquote my posts and make it sound like I said things that I obviously did not. I don't think that is asking too much of the "Kingfish".

I'd take Conley over Mayo any day and I've seen both in high school. Attitude, and self discipline and being a team player plays an inportant part in my decision.

15th Region

King Kelly (Wayland)

Todd May (Virgie)

JR Vanhoose (Painstville)

Irvin Stepp (Phelps)

John Pelphrey (Paintsville)

Jeremy Hall (Allen Central)

Jody Thompson (Feds Creek)

Todd Conley (Elkhorn City)

Rodney Rowe (Virgie)

Howard Lockhart (Pikeville)

Todd Tackett (Paintsville)

This is just real fast off the top of my head Im sure Im leaving some out. I THINK the first 5 are all Mr. Basketballs......

Looks alright but I'd have to put Jermey Hall in the starting lineup, probabily top 3 or 4, he was the big 10 freshman of the year at Wisconsin. It may just be me but I never thought Conley was all that great, I mean he was better than average but he was out of shape, shot his arm off and played very little "D". I just don't think he belongs on the all time team. Rudy Thacker and the Talent boys at Maytown High has to be mentioned and some people may disagree but I'd put Graig Ratliff from Paintsville in there he would make anyteam better he was is a versitile 6'9-6'10 who had DI talent.

I'd take Conley over Mayo any day and I've seen both in high school. Attitude, and self discipline and being a team player plays an inportant part in my decision.

Since you saw both play in high school, unlike others you do have personal knowledge of the two. Using your criteria of attitude, team player, and self discipline, all three of which are Conley's strongest attributes, I would hardily agree with your assessment. I, too, would give the nod to Conley. However, using a somewhat more inclusive criteria, I believe Mayo clearly prevails.

As for Mr. dinoradja, I am interested in where you saw "tape" of Conley playing for Ashland. I would be surprised if it exists. Of course, there may be some old 8mm home movie somewhere.

For the sake of discussion, let me throw out how I rate the two:

Attitude: Conley

Team player: Conley

Self discipline: Conley (but closer than you think)

Passing ability: Conley

Rebounding: Mayo

Foul shooting: Mayo

Inside shooting: Mayo

Outside shooting: Mayo (Larry was never a good outside shooter)

Strength: Mayo

Defense: Mayo

Ballhandlling: Tossup

Desire to win: Tossup

Flair for the dramatic: Mayo

Work ethic: Tossup

Ability to dominate a game: Mayo (by a goodly margin)

Yes, I guess you would have to be surprised about what I have watched. Movies and tapes were abudantly available even in the 1960's, not just during the "O.J." era that we live in now. Pick your players, pick your teams but please check your attitude and remarks, they are boring and bring nothing relevant to the discussion.

Then I ask that rule apply to everyone, not just when I say something but when they say things to me as well.
They do apply to everyone and your name, nor anyone else were mentioned.

The personal comments jabs, back and forth are for the pm's. This thread is opinion based and let's keep it on the topic, off each other.

Some pretty good players that I don't think have been mentioned:

9th Region: David Dinn (Boone Co.) Darrin Blassengame (Highlands) Scott Thomas (Conner)

8th Region: Dante Smith (Oldham Co), Darrin Dawson (Oldham Co.), Will Carlton (Anderson Co.), Jonathan Beasley (Anderson Co.), AW Hamilton (Scott Co.), Michael Richardson (Scott Co.), Casey Alsop (Scott Co.), Jared Carter (Scott Co.)

10th Region: Alvin Sims (Paris), Clinton Sims (Paris), Chez Marks (Paris), Ryan Steger (Montgomery Co.), LeMaster (Bourbon), Rob Ogden (Harrison)

They do apply to everyone and your name, nor anyone else were mentioned.

The personal comments jabs, back and forth are for the pm's. This thread is opinion based and let's keep it on the topic, off each other.

Sounds fine to me, based on my short history here I had to check though.