Your Regions All Time Basketball Team

I'll get the ball rolling for the 8th Region since 1965.

Mike Casey-Shelby Co.

Jimmy Dan Connor-Anderson Co.

Lamont Sleets-Eminence

David Miller-Carroll Co.

Charles Hurt-Shelby Co.

Marc Mumphrey-Carroll Co.

Rick Jones-Scott Co.

I know there a lot more big names. I willo defer to someone else.

How about Scott Hundley. A Mr. Basketball, he should be on the list as well.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These 16th Region selections are hilarious. The best basketball player to ever wear the uniform of a school in that region is clearly O.J. Mayo. Most of those named ahead of him are not remotely in his class. Being partisans is fine. Being blind is something else.

The best to play in that region, in my opinion, are:

O.J. Mayo (Rose Hill)

Larry Conley (Ashland)

Jerry Ravenscraft (Breckenridge)

Harold Sergent (Ashland)

Mickey Sydenstricker (Russell)

Linville Puckett (Clark County)

Bert Greene (Olive Hill)

George Carroll (Ashland)

Jeff Hall (Fairview)

Earl Adkins (Ashland)

If Bill walker had made more than a cameo appearance, he would have to be in the top group.

These are in no particular order other than for the first two with Mayo over Conley.

Mayo had a great career while at Rose Hill but when he left after his 8th grade year that completed his "body of work" there. Based on that time period and the player that he was when he left, not after, I would put Conley and Hall ahead for their total works. Conley won a state championship and was a runner up the next year and Jeff Hall finished with a great career as well. I am not going to go over the rest of the players because I know more about these two than probably most of the others. But just basing it on body of work within the 16th Region and not in other states I have to say that while he had a great two years here I personally would not put him among the all time players because of what they did over a longer period and O.J. when he left was not the player that Hall and Conley were when they left high school. And I am not being partisan, just using criteria that I believe to be valid and fair.

Rojas, I dont think Thomas ever played for EKU. I thought he got hurt at Minnesota and that ended his career.

I think Thomas played in 1 or 2 games at EKU. Sat out a year trying to recover from the back injury and then could not play.

Mayo had a great career while at Rose Hill but when he left after his 8th grade year that completed his "body of work" there. Based on that time period and the player that he was when he left, not after, I would put Conley and Hall ahead for their total works. Conley won a state championship and was a runner up the next year and Jeff Hall finished with a great career as well. I am not going to go over the rest of the players because I know more about these two than probably most of the others. But just basing it on body of work within the 16th Region and not in other states I have to say that while he had a great two years here I personally would not put him among the all time players because of what they did over a longer period and O.J. when he left was not the player that Hall and Conley were when they left high school. And I am not being partisan, just using criteria that I believe to be valid and fair.

I certainly respect your opinion. Is it based upon personal knowledge or on word of mouth from others?

Larry Conley is the second best to ever play in the region. You can discount his accomplishments during the 1960-1961 season because he had six other exceptionally capable teammates on that team who would have likely won the state tournament without him. However, in the 1961-1962 season, he carried Ashland to the championship game because he had a clearly inferior supporting cast. It was his finest effort.

Nonetheless, I feel sure that unbiased observers who are familiar with both players will, by a large margin, tell you that Mayo, even as a middle schooler, was superior to Conley. That is no knock on Conley. The player of the 1960s was just not nearly as strong and athletic as the player of the 2000s. It was a different and less intense game.

Conley in his prime was a delight as was Harold Sergent. However, neither compares to Mayo and I'll bet both of them would quickly agree. The others you name are somewhere down the line but not near these three.

15th Region

King Kelly (Wayland)

Todd May (Virgie)

JR Vanhoose (Painstville)

Irvin Stepp (Phelps)

John Pelphrey (Paintsville)

Jeremy Hall (Allen Central)

Jody Thompson (Feds Creek)

Todd Conley (Elkhorn City)

Rodney Rowe (Virgie)

Howard Lockhart (Pikeville)

Todd Tackett (Paintsville)

This is just real fast off the top of my head Im sure Im leaving some out. I THINK the first 5 are all Mr. Basketballs......

This will be a hard one for 10th Region fans and historians, wish Punk Griffin was here to help out. I know I'll leave someone out so don't hold it against me!

Starting 5:

G-Ronnie Lyons-Mason Co.

G-Chris Lofton-Mason Co.

C-Tom Boerwinkle-MMI

F-Fred Walker

F-Bill Gaines

Bench Players:

Bruce Jones-Bath Co.

Skeets Smith-Maysville

Lynn Hopewell-Clark Co.

Larry Gay-Clark Co.

Jerry Calvert-Maysville

Billy Custard-Harrison Co.

Preston Knowles-Clark Co.

Darius Miller-Mason Co.

I can't remember the name but he was the star player on Bourbon Co.'s 1984 team. SORRY!

Also my memory fails me again but the 6'8" kid who led Montgomery Co. to the State Tourny under Bart Rison.

I have tried to give this TEAM an equal balance of size, speed, quickness, and shooting ability.

Coaches:

Head Coach-Earle D. Jones

1st Asst.-Woodie Crum

2nd Asst.-Kelly Wells

3rd Asst.-Earl Redwine or Phillip Wood

I certainly respect your opinion. Is it based upon personal knowledge or on word of mouth from others?

Larry Conley is the second best to ever play in the region. You can discount his accomplishments during the 1960-1961 season because he had six other exceptionally capable teammates on that team who would have likely won the state tournament without him. However, in the 1961-1962 season, he carried Ashland to the championship game because he had a clearly inferior supporting cast. It was his finest effort.

Nonetheless, I feel sure that unbiased observers who are familiar with both players will, by a large margin, tell you that Mayo, even as a middle schooler, was superior to Conley. That is no knock on Conley. The player of the 1960s was just not nearly as strong and athletic as the player of the 2000s. It was a different and less intense game.

Conley in his prime was a delight as was Harold Sergent. However, neither compares to Mayo and I'll bet both of them would quickly agree. The others you name are somewhere down the line but not near these three.

I am going on personal knowledge, yes. And as far as discounting Conley's contributions on the championship team, I would say that his fellow players may have a different opinion about discounting his importance. Players today may be more athletic and stronger but does that mean they shoot the ball better, pass better, handle the ball better or in general play the game better?

You have your criteria, I have mine and that is fine. I have no doubt your mind will not change on this as I am sure that mine opinion is still the same for the same reasons as I stated in my earlier post.

This will be a hard one for 10th Region fans and historians, wish Punk Griffin was here to help out. I know I'll leave someone out so don't hold it against me!

Starting 5:

G-Ronnie Lyons-Mason Co.

G-Chris Lofton-Mason Co.

C-Tom Boerwinkle-MMI

F-Fred Walker

F-Bill Gaines

Bench Players:

Bruce Jones-Bath Co.

Skeets Smith-Maysville

Lynn Hopewell-Clark Co.

Larry Gay-Clark Co.

Jerry Calvert-Maysville

Billy Custard-Harrison Co.

Preston Knowles-Clark Co.

Darius Miller-Mason Co.

I can't remember the name but he was the star player on Bourbon Co.'s 1984 team. SORRY!

Also my memory fails me again but the 6'8" kid who led Montgomery Co. to the State Tourny under Bart Rison.

I have tried to give this TEAM an equal balance of size, speed, quickness, and shooting ability.

Coaches:

Head Coach-Earle D. Jones

1st Asst.-Woodie Crum

2nd Asst.-Kelly Wells

3rd Asst.-Earl Redwine or Phillip Wood

Billly Ray Fawns???

Corey Williams from Bourbon Co.

Jerry Fogle

15th Region

King Kelly (Wayland)

Todd May (Virgie)

Irvin Stepp (Phelps)

Rodney Rowe (Virgie)

This is just real fast off the top of my head Im sure Im leaving some out. I THINK the first 5 are all Mr. Basketballs......

That is one impressive basketball team! :eek: :thumb: :thumb:

I am going on personal knowledge, yes. And as far as discounting Conley's contributions on the championship team, I would say that his fellow players may have a different opinion about discounting his importance. Players today may be more athletic and stronger but does that mean they shoot the ball better, pass better, handle the ball better or in general play the game better?

You have your criteria, I have mine and that is fine. I have no doubt your mind will not change on this as I am sure that mine opinion is still the same for the same reasons as I stated in my earlier post.

Sounds good to me. Each person is entitled to establish his own criteria and you have certainly done so. I'm just happy to read that you got to see Conley play in person during his high school days. Not too many on BGP can say that.

Sounds good to me. Each person is entitled to establish his own criteria and you have certainly done so. I'm just happy to read that you got to see Conley play in person during his high school days. Not too many on BGP can say that.

I did not say that I saw Conley play in person, I said I was going on personal knowledge. Please read my post again if there is any confusion.

15th Region

King Kelly (Wayland)

Todd May (Virgie)

Irvin Stepp (Phelps)

Rodney Rowe (Virgie)

Ervin Stepp alone lit up many a net, the rest of these guys were incredible in their own right as well. Put all of these guys on the court at the same time and the nets may have lasted 10 minutes, if they were lucky! :ylsuper:

Good question. My guess is Harry Taylor or Spider Thurman with about 6 a piece. That's strictly just a guess. Was Taylor there for all the 6 consecutive years the Redhounds dominated the region in the late 40s and eary 50's.

How does Bobby Keith's 16 state tournment coaching victories stand among the state's all-time best?

I'm surprised he has only 16. He won four in 87 and three each in 85 and 88 and two once in the early 90s. There were a lot of first-round exits in the 70s.

Mike Jones may have the second most (four) championships over the last half century.