Your Regions All Time Basketball Team

I never seen Pursiful play. I am far far too young. Who would you take off my list to add Pursiful?

Like I said, I never saw Pursiful either. I would probably say that he could possibly surpass Sanford or Thomas maybe. Not saying he would, but he was a pretty good player at UK.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9th REgion

Well, this is a mix of players I watched as a kid, played against in high school and learned about through great players in NKY.

Starting 5

Jack Jennings- Holmes C (played against and was a machine in the low post who could bust a 25 footer on you)

Scott Draud- Highlands G ( a few years ahead of me in high school but watched him play and couldnt believe how smooth he was from anywhere on the floor)

Dick Vories- Newport G (From what I hear one of the best players in NKY high school history who went on to set records at Georgetown college)

Derek Smith - Highlands F (Watched him play and he was a great all around player who could score, shoot, rebound and had great instincts as a high school player)

John Turner- Newport F (I have heard he was one of the best ever at 6'5 and went on to a great college career)

I think you would have to include a Mr. Basketball (Thomas) and a 4 time college All American (Sanford) on the all time region team. Heck, lets put 11 on the team.[/QUOTE]

:lol: I agree with you.

I just thought I would throw Pursiful's name out there for discussion. He is the only Bell County player I know of to consider.

9th Region: since about 1975.

PG- Dicky Beal, best player ever in the 9th region, that's why he went to UK.

SG- Scott Draud, best scorer in the ninth region ever.

SF-Doug Scholmer, Mr. Basketball, was the best player THAT YEAR on the best team the ninth region has seen.

PF- Justin Doleman- The definition of a matchup problem, I believe he was better than Neltner.

C- Jack Jennings- May be a homer pick on my part but I will take 28 and 15 every night of the week.

Reserves

Ross Neltner- Great Player, Mr. Basketball, wasn't quite the playmaker Doleman was and that why he is not the starter.

Ronny Dawn- Scott Draud but not as good, but he can play on my team.

Joe Harney- Great scorer inside and out, more athletic than he was given credit for.

Derek Smith- Probably would be higher had he not been the football star he was. Great high school player, won 3 regional titles and runner-up for Mr. Basketball.

Kevin Listerman- At the chance Dicky Beal ever needed to come out for a breather, that is who I would like the offense.

16th Region based on players I have seen play ( in no order )

Jeff Hall

Steve Skaggs

Rocky Adkins

Don Rigsby

Mark Watkins

Marty Thomas

Chuck Cantrell

Jeff Tipton

Mike Scott

Jeff Tipton had one of the most incredible state tournament games his senior year. In the double overtime loss to Covington Holmes lead by Dicky Beal, Jeff had 41 points and 19 rebounds. And Mike Scott had a great state tourney too although Greenup as a team was over matched I remember Mike having some stats almost as good as what Jeff Tipton had.

I think you would have to include a Mr. Basketball (Thomas) and a 4 time college All American (Sanford) on the all time region team. Heck, lets put 11 on the team.[/QUOTE]

:lol: I agree with you.

I just thought I would throw Pursiful's name out there for discussion. He is the only Bell County player I know of to consider.

What do you think of my coaching staff?

Joe Gilley was the Harlan High School football, baseball, and basketball coach in the late 40s and 50s. He won a state championship at Harlan in 44 and another state championship in Maryland later. His record at Harlan was:

Basketball 320-151 (.679)

Football 109-42 (.722)

Baseball 204-64 (.761)

I'll get the ball rolling for the 8th Region since 1965.

Mike Casey-Shelby Co.

Jimmy Dan Connor-Anderson Co.

Lamont Sleets-Eminence

David Miller-Carroll Co.

Charles Hurt-Shelby Co.

Marc Mumphrey-Carroll Co.

Rick Jones-Scott Co.

I know there a lot more big names. I willo defer to someone else.

These 16th Region selections are hilarious. The best basketball player to ever wear the uniform of a school in that region is clearly O.J. Mayo. Most of those named ahead of him are not remotely in his class. Being partisans is fine. Being blind is something else.

The best to play in that region, in my opinion, are:

O.J. Mayo (Rose Hill)

Larry Conley (Ashland)

Jerry Ravenscraft (Breckenridge)

Harold Sergent (Ashland)

Mickey Sydenstricker (Russell)

Linville Puckett (Clark County)

Bert Greene (Olive Hill)

George Carroll (Ashland)

Jeff Hall (Fairview)

Earl Adkins (Ashland)

If Bill walker had made more than a cameo appearance, he would have to be in the top group.

These are in no particular order other than for the first two with Mayo over Conley.

I wonder which coaches have won the most 13th Region titles, after Bobby Keith, of course.

Good question. My guess is Harry Taylor or Spider Thurman with about 6 a piece. That's strictly just a guess. Was Taylor there for all the 6 consecutive years the Redhounds dominated the region in the late 40s and eary 50's.

How does Bobby Keith's 16 state tournment coaching victories stand among the state's all-time best?

O.K., here goes my 16th region team and my sincere apology to the people at places like East C., West C., Rowan and Morgan - I admit that I am not that familiar with alot of your players down through the years, haven't seen them play all that much and that you have had some very good ones.

(12 Man Team - and there are some I really struggled with in leaving off that are more than deserving)

Starters:

G - Rocky Adkins - Elliot County

G - Rick Hensley - Russell

C - Tom Roberts - Russell

F - Steve Scaggs - Greenup Co.

F - Don Rigsby - Fairview

Others in no paticualr order:

Jeff Hall - Fairview (g)

Ron Duncan - Raceland (g)

"Boo" Williams - Greenup Co. (f)

Larry Conley - Ashland (f)

Jeff Watkins - Raceland (f)

Mark Surgaski - Ashland ©

Mike Scott - Greenup County ©

Coaches : Marvin Meridith (Russell), Paul Patterson (Ashland)

Larry Conley should be starting.