Your Regions All Time Basketball Team

These 16th Region selections are hilarious. The best basketball player to ever wear the uniform of a school in that region is clearly O.J. Mayo. Most of those named ahead of him are not remotely in his class. Being partisans is fine. Being blind is something else.

The best to play in that region, in my opinion, are:

O.J. Mayo (Rose Hill)

Larry Conley (Ashland)

Jerry Ravenscraft (Breckenridge)

Harold Sergent (Ashland)

Mickey Sydenstricker (Russell)

Linville Puckett (Clark County)

Bert Greene (Olive Hill)

George Carroll (Ashland)

Jeff Hall (Fairview)

Earl Adkins (Ashland)

If Bill walker had made more than a cameo appearance, he would have to be in the top group.

These are in no particular order other than for the first two with Mayo over Conley.

Ravenscraft played at Rowan Co.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These 16th Region selections are hilarious. The best basketball player to ever wear the uniform of a school in that region is clearly O.J. Mayo. Most of those named ahead of him are not remotely in his class. Being partisans is fine. Being blind is something else.

The best to play in that region, in my opinion, are:

O.J. Mayo (Rose Hill)

Larry Conley (Ashland)

Jerry Ravenscraft (Breckenridge)

Harold Sergent (Ashland)

Mickey Sydenstricker (Russell)

Linville Puckett (Clark County)

Bert Greene (Olive Hill)

George Carroll (Ashland)

Jeff Hall (Fairview)

Earl Adkins (Ashland)

If Bill walker had made more than a cameo appearance, he would have to be in the top group.

These are in no particular order other than for the first two with Mayo over Conley.

Hold the Mayo, please...

So, you're saying that O.J. Mayo in middle school was better than any juniors or seniors that EVER played in the region? I'll go with the theory that O.J. Mayo at Huntington High is better than anyone, but not the 8th grade Mayo.

Hold the Mayo, please...

So, you're saying that O.J. Mayo in middle school was better than any juniors or seniors that EVER played in the region? I'll go with the theory that O.J. Mayo at Huntington High is better than anyone, but not the 8th grade Mayo.

Yes. Conley would most likely by considered as the best by those who won't choose Mayo. I gave my opinion as to comparing the two in a post above. I am basing my opinion on Conley as a senior and Mayo as an eighth grader. If you have personal knowledge of both of them at that stage of their development, feel free to dissect my analysis. Please remember, I am in no way taking anything away from Larry Conley.

This will be a hard one for 10th Region fans and historians, wish Punk Griffin was here to help out. I know I'll leave someone out so don't hold it against me!

Starting 5:

G-Ronnie Lyons-Mason Co.

G-Chris Lofton-Mason Co.

C-Tom Boerwinkle-MMI

F-Fred Walker

F-Bill Gaines

Bench Players:

Bruce Jones-Bath Co.

Skeets Smith-Maysville

Lynn Hopewell-Clark Co.

Larry Gay-Clark Co.

Jerry Calvert-Maysville

Billy Custard-Harrison Co.

Preston Knowles-Clark Co.

Darius Miller-Mason Co.

I can't remember the name but he was the star player on Bourbon Co.'s 1984 team. SORRY!

Also my memory fails me again but the 6'8" kid who led Montgomery Co. to the State Tourny under Bart Rison.

I have tried to give this TEAM an equal balance of size, speed, quickness, and shooting ability.

Coaches:

Head Coach-Earle D. Jones

1st Asst.-Woodie Crum

2nd Asst.-Kelly Wells

3rd Asst.-Earl Redwine or Phillip Wood

I would like to see that team play that is for sure. They would be tough. As with your other list, I can't argue with this one at all.

I would like to see that team play that is for sure. They would be tough. As with your other list, I can't argue with this one at all.

Skeets Smith ??????? How about Bobby (Toothpick) Jones, Allen Smith or Bobby Hiles.

Hold the Mayo, please...

Wasn't Mayo selected all-state as an 8th grader?

Wasn't Mayo selected all-state as an 8th grader?

He was first team all-state as an 8th grader and second team all-state as a seventh grader. Have any other 16th Region players done this in their junior and senior years? There have been several who went from honorable mention as juniors to first or second team all state as seniors but I am not aware of any who matched Mayo's middle school achievement. Of course, I could be wrong and that is why I am asking.

He was first team all-state as an 8th grader and second team all-state as a seventh grader. Have any other 16th Region players done this in their junior and senior years? There have been several who went from honorable mention as juniors to first or second team all state as seniors but I am not aware of any who matched Mayo's middle school achievement. Of course, I could be wrong and that is why I am asking.

If I am not mistaken I believe Frank Lee was as a junior and a finalist for Mr. Basketball as a senior. That is what amazes me when no one even mentions this guy in discusions. He averaged 10-15 as a fresman, 20+ the rest of his years. Plus he played with great players as well which makes it even more impressive or he could have averaged 30+. His teams won back to back regions. Not even a Boyd Co. person but it is obvious he is one of the 5 best to play in the region of all time.

If I am not mistaken I believe Frank Lee was as a junior and a finalist for Mr. Basketball as a senior. That is what amazes me when no one even mentions this guy in discusions. He averaged 10-15 as a fresman, 20+ the rest of his years. Plus he played with great players as well which makes it even more impressive or he could have averaged 30+. His teams won back to back regions. Not even a Boyd Co. person but it is obvious he is one of the 5 best to play in the region of all time.

You make a good argument for Frank Lee. He is too often overlooked.

15th Region

King Kelly (Wayland)

Todd May (Virgie)

JR Vanhoose (Painstville)

Irvin Stepp (Phelps)

John Pelphrey (Paintsville)

Jeremy Hall (Allen Central)

Jody Thompson (Feds Creek)

Todd Conley (Elkhorn City)

Rodney Rowe (Virgie)

Howard Lockhart (Pikeville)

Todd Tackett (Paintsville)

This is just real fast off the top of my head Im sure Im leaving some out. I THINK the first 5 are all Mr. Basketballs......

I would have to add Charlie Osborne to this list, he played for Flat Gap High School and is currently the 2nd leading scorer in the state of Kentucky behind King Kelly Coleman, Charlie also played for WKU and was a seventh round draft pick of the NBA in the early 60's. Donnis Butcher who played for Meade Memorial High School and went on to play at Pikeville College, Donnis was also a seventh round draft pick of the NBA, Donnis either played or coached for several years in the NBA.