Would a true leadoff hitter help Dunn and Griffey?

How many more fastballs would they see if someone, anyone was actually on base with speed in front of them?

Dunn can't hit a curve so we need something out there to get him to get a fastball.

Wouldn't some speed from someon who was on base regularly do the trick?

We send him somewhere with a true leadoff hitter, his average (and I hate average, but it makes the common fan feel better) jumps 30 points, and his HR's and RBI's go up as well.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A good leadoff hitter has been needed on this team since the days of Deion Sanders. No, I'm not kidding.

I go back again to how many more chances guys on the Angels have had with men on base compared to Dunn and Junior. They aren't cashing in more often (percentage wise), they are just getting 2 and 3 times as many chances.

A good 1 and 2 hitter (think, Furcal and Loretta) would take a lot of the warts off of Dunn (and Junior) IMHO. Phillips is a nice player, but not really a 2 hitter. There is NO 1 hitter. Heck, as I said last week, I'd hit Hamilton first as a Sizemore type of leadoff guy (with some pop) and hope he can get on base enough to be effective. He runs well, and the instincts will come to steal bases.

A good leadoff hitter has been needed on this team since the days of Deion Sanders. No, I'm not kidding.

I go back again to how many more chances guys on the Angels have had with men on base compared to Dunn and Junior. They aren't cashing in more often (percentage wise), they are just getting 2 and 3 times as many chances.

A good 1 and 2 hitter (think, Furcal and Loretta) would take a lot of the warts off of Dunn (and Junior) IMHO. Phillips is a nice player, but not really a 2 hitter. There is NO 1 hitter. Heck, as I said last week, I'd hit Hamilton first as a Sizemore type of leadoff guy (with some pop) and hope he can get on base enough to be effective. He runs well, and the instincts will come to steal bases.

When I was typing that first post I was thinking the exact same thing.

Maybe Hamilton would do well there.

Vladimir Guererro has had 74 AB with RISP this year.

Dunn: 56

Griffey: 44

RBI

Vlady - 61

Dunn - 40

Griffey- 39

I think that's pretty clear. Give Griff and Dunn more opps they have as many RBI as Vlady. And Vladimir ahs to be one of the top 3-5 hitters in the game.

When I was typing that first post I was thinking the exact same thing.

Maybe Hamilton would do well there.

While I'm thinking of this though, I want to point out that this would be a temporary solution. Sizemore won't be a leadoff guy for long.

RBI

Vlady - 61

Dunn - 40

Griffey- 39

I think that's pretty clear. Give Griff and Dunn more opps they have as many RBI as Vlady. And Vladimir ahs to be one of the top 3-5 hitters in the game.

Also add, they have more speed in front of Vlad. I'm sure, we all saw the 2B, when runners scored from 1st and 2nd, that Vlad had....The Reds, don't posses any team speed.

RBI

Vlady - 61

Dunn - 40

Griffey- 39

Assuming that those figures are correct, Griffey is the most efficient of the three...

Vlad = 61/74 = 82.4%

Dunn = 40/56 = 71.4%

Griffey = 39/44 = 88.6%

I would guess that driving in nearly 9 of 10 RISP is pretty daggone good.

Also add, they have more speed in front of Vlad. I'm sure, we all saw the 2B, when runners scored from 1st and 2nd, that Vlad had....The Reds, don't posses any team speed.

I dont' understand that either. In the '90s, and especially in '99 the Reds were a team at the top, or near the top of the NL in stolen bases. Starting with the plan for the new ballpark, Bowden started the Reds on this Big Boppers course. All one has to do is take a look at the '76 World Series and see how many bases the Big Red Machine swiped with Morgan, Griffey, Foster, Geronimo, and Concepcion. Speed has been one of the things that the Reds traditionally had an abundance of, along with average pitchers. I hope that Krivsky is stocking the minors with guys that can go 1st to 3rd consistently to set the plate.

While I'm thinking of this though, I want to point out that this would be a temporary solution. Sizemore won't be a leadoff guy for long.

That doesn't mean teams wouldn't be knocking themselves over to get him to be that leadoff guy were he a FA. I like the Hamilton idea, but I salivate over the idea of a guy like Ichiro leading things off. Wonder if he's available?

I dont' understand that either. In the '90s, and especially in '99 the Reds were a team at the top, or near the top of the NL in stolen bases. Starting with the plan for the new ballpark, Bowden started the Reds on this Big Boppers course. All one has to do is take a look at the '76 World Series and see how many bases the Big Red Machine swiped with Morgan, Griffey, Foster, Geronimo, and Concepcion. Speed has been one of the things that the Reds traditionally had an abundance of, along with average pitchers. I hope that Krivsky is stocking the minors with guys that can go 1st to 3rd consistently to set the plate.
....:thumb:

I think the focus on base running and speed, have dropped considerably, to emphasis on power.

How much has the WhiteSox offense suffered without Podsednik setting the tables for them?
How does the White Sox and Reds lineups, compare to talent and production.

I've never compared them offensively or pitching.