Biggest Rivalries

Interesting opinion! Talent and athletic ability have nothing to do w/winning or losing I guess?

Thats right, I forgot Beechwood and NewCath are always the more athletic and talented which always gurantees victories. How stupid of me. Dont be so sure Talent always prevails though.

My point is the games wouldnt be so lopsided if they (Dayton and Bellevue) put as much intensity into those games as they do against each other.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Breathitt Co. vs. Middlesboro is/was an excellent rivalry. There have been some butt spankings on both sides and some sensational close games as well. There is no love lost between these two schools. Breathitt Co. and Belfry/Prestonsburg are both equally good rivalries. Whenever Breathitt and Belfry/Prestonsburg play, you can guarantee there will be some intense play, hard hitting, and a lot of emotion showed on the field.

The apple bowl! Johnson Central vs. Paintsville

I might be wrong about this, but I believe this game is the only game in the state with a traveling trophy... the apple barrel.

And there's THE Barrel that goes between Male and Manual. I was there when we got to clean it of 13 years of gathered Male dust and bring it back to our house!

this would be my top ones in this order

1) St X - Trinity

2) CCH - Highlands

3) Male - Manual

4) Boyle Co - Danville

5) NCC - Beechwood

6) Mayfield - Tilghman

7) Russell - Ashland

8) BGreen - W.Central

9) Male - St X

10) BGreen - FSimpson

May not have the glitz and glamour of some of these excellent rivalries, but North Laurel v. South Laurel and Corbin v. South Laurel always are entertaining games with fierce bragging rights implications (and used to be playoff implications in the case of NL-SL).

Guest Bluto
Catholic and Christian, I wouldn't really consider rivals. They've only played once and that was an absolute bashing by the Knights.

I agree with you on this. LCA has a LONG way to go before they become rivals to LexCath.

Yeah, but it's hardly a rivalry anymore, considering that CovCath has owned Highlands for the past.................year.:D

:scared:

:thumb: Oct 9, '98 Highlands 70 - 26 (W)

:thumb: Nov 20, '98 Highlands 37 - 14 (W)

:thumb: Oct 2, '99 Highlands 45 - 7 (W)

:thumb: Sep 29, '00 Highlands 35 - 10 (W)

:thumb: Nov 10, '00 Highlands 49 - 27 (W)

:thumb: Sep 29, '01 Highlands 52 - 22 (W)

:madman: Nov 9, '01 Covington Catholic 15 - 18 (W)

:thumb: Oct 5, '02 Highlands 28 - 14 (W)

:thumb: Nov 1, '03 Highlands 21 - 7 (W)

:thumb: :thumb: 2004 Highlands, On the field, 2 - 0, In the courts, 0 - 2

:thumb: Oct 29, '05 Highlands 28 - 21 (W)

:madman: Oct 27, '06 Covington Catholic 27 - 29 (W)

:madman: Nov 11, '06 Covington Catholic 15 - 25 (W) Class

:thumb: 11 :madman: 3

Bell County did have great rivalries with Middlesboro and Corbin, but they want no part of playing Bell Co. anymore.

Now Bell and Rock is a good rivalry. Its a district matchup and they usually play each other twice a year. Rockastle will be better than Bell for a couple years, then Bell will be better than Rock, and the past couple years Rock past Bell back up. Next season Bell will probably be the favorite, but anything can happen. When these 2 teams play it is as physical and hard hitting as any game in the state IMO.

Thats right, I forgot Beechwood and NewCath are always the more athletic and talented which always gurantees victories. How stupid of me. Dont be so sure Talent always prevails though.

My point is the games wouldnt be so lopsided if they (Dayton and Bellevue) put as much intensity into those games as they do against each other.

:thumb:

All one needed to verify this is last seasons game... it was one of the most intense, dramatic games of HS football I have seen in a long time...

:scared:

:thumb: Oct 9, '98 Highlands 70 - 26 (W)

:thumb: Nov 20, '98 Highlands 37 - 14 (W)

:thumb: Oct 2, '99 Highlands 45 - 7 (W)

:thumb: Sep 29, '00 Highlands 35 - 10 (W)

:thumb: Nov 10, '00 Highlands 49 - 27 (W)

:thumb: Sep 29, '01 Highlands 52 - 22 (W)

:madman: Nov 9, '01 Covington Catholic 15 - 18 (W)

:thumb: Oct 5, '02 Highlands 28 - 14 (W)

:thumb: Nov 1, '03 Highlands 21 - 7 (W)

:thumb: :thumb: 2004 Highlands, On the field, 2 - 0, In the courts, 0 - 2

:thumb: Oct 29, '05 Highlands 28 - 21 (W)

:madman: Oct 27, '06 Covington Catholic 27 - 29 (W)

:madman: Nov 11, '06 Covington Catholic 15 - 25 (W) Class

:thumb: 11 :madman: 3

I think you have your smileys messed up...

Another class A rivalry that has developed over the last few years is Raceland / L.C.A. This one is not as long standing as some of the other Raceland rivalries but being a district contest it is certainly develping into a good one.

I'm glad that Just 4 Fun mentioned BGHS/Warren Central and BGHS/Franklin-Simpson in his Top Ten. These rivalries aren't just about the city school v the county school...they are also many times for bragging rights between friends and family members. In the case of the Purples and the Dragons, it is also many times between former teammates in Little League play. BGHS and Warren Central have met at least once each year since 1974. The Purples and the Wildcats have met every year but once (1953) since 1944, in Big Blue's inaugural season. It really got interesting when both teams started fielding championship contending teams in 1975, but the rivalry was superheated long before then.

These games are certainly the crown jewels of southcentral KY high school football!:thumb:

I agree. With many less talented teams, so much rides on the mental part of the game. Bellevue, Dayton and Ludlow may be fired up at the start of the game, but as soon as one play goes against them, that is sometimes enough for them to start saying "here we go again".

With teams such as Beechwood and NCC who more often than not, they do not have to rely on mental toughness to beat less talented teams

Well down here in the southern part of the state whenever the Green Dragons face off against Cawood, Evarts, or Cumberland, there's always a crowd well over 500, which is good size considering there's only around 3,000 people in harlan. However, the biggest rivalry has to be between Harlan and Cumberland, or back in the day Harlan and Lynch.