Biggest Rivalries

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raceland and Fairview

Ashland and Russell

These two games are by far the biggest rival games in the Ashland Area. The games just get nasty.

:thumb: I agree with you choices 100% MVP and would add Ashland / Boyd Co. to that.

Also, starting this season imo it would be safe to say that the Raceland / Russell game - rivalry renewal will become as big of a game as there is in our area. The players/students at both of these schools do not remember much if anything about this war. Imo they will be reminded very quickly :lol: .

Bell County did have great rivalries with Middlesboro and Corbin, but they want no part of playing Bell Co. anymore.

Now Bell and Rock is a good rivalry. Its a district matchup and they usually play each other twice a year. Rockastle will be better than Bell for a couple years, then Bell will be better than Rock, and the past couple years Rock past Bell back up. Next season Bell will probably be the favorite, but anything can happen. When these 2 teams play it is as physical and hard hitting as any game in the state IMO.

I thought BellCo played Corbin last year ... pretty close game too ... :sssh:

Also added to the fact that Bell won on a last second field goal, Corbin returns about 95% of their team. I don't agree with em not playing just like you but it's not a matter of one team being scared. Corbin has beaten Bell many times over the years, a few losses isn't going to stop them from playing. If I were guessing and this is only my guess, I'd say it has to do with the TR deal last year if it isn't over scheduling conflicts.

Also added to the fact that Bell won on a last second field goal, Corbin returns about 95% of their team. I don't agree with em not playing just like you but it's not a matter of one team being scared. Corbin has beaten Bell many times over the years, a few losses isn't going to stop them from playing. If I were guessing and this is only my guess, I'd say it has to do with the TR deal last year if it isn't over scheduling conflicts.

That seems most plausible, if not highly likely. :thumb:

The reason why it is a good rivalry is because Corbin has won several and Bell has won several, although lately Bell has won a lot more, I believe 3 in a row and 4 out of 5. I believe Bell would win next year too considering what Bell has back also and it being a home game. But like I said for whatever reason Corbin decision makers wants no part of Bell Co and it doesnt make sense. Having sour grapes over a player is silly, Corbin has a couple kids from Bell County already there. As for scheduling conflict, what other game along with Middlesboro should be any more important for Corbin to schedule? It doesnt make sense!

Somerset vs Southwestern

Somerset vs Pulaski County

Southwestern vs Pulaski County

A good district rivalry that went on for 4 years was Somerset vs Harlan. I'm sure DragonNG73 will agree with me that these games were usually very rough, very hard hitting and there is no love between these teams. I know myself and DragonNG73 had some good battles on the line!

Somerset vs Southwestern

Somerset vs Pulaski County

Southwestern vs Pulaski County

A good district rivalry that went on for 4 years was Somerset vs Harlan. I'm sure DragonNG73 will agree with me that these games were usually very rough, very hard hitting and there is no love between these teams. I know myself and DragonNG73 had some good battles on the line!

Unique rivalry between Somerset, Pulaski Co., and Southwestern. The schools are in the same county. The Kids all know one another. It is more of a "King of the hill" rivalry then one of bitterness. The cool thing about it is that if one team gets knocked out of the play-offs, then you will see the players supporting existing Pulaski Co. teams...:thumb:

Carroll Co. vs Trimble Co. was a huge rivalry before Trimble dropped football after the 1984 season. Trimble restarted in 1996 and the rivalry is still good but seems to be bigger for Trimble fans than Carroll.

Carroll Co. has developed a huge rivalry in sports with Gallatin Co. recently and with the addition of football at Gallatin I can see this developing into a very big rivalry on the gridiron also.