WCWS - plate umps

nees1212

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll bite

What is the 10/5 second rule?

Something about the pitcher getting 10 seconds to throw her next pitch. I don't know the specifics but one time she was rocking to go to the plate and the ump jumped out to call time and gave the batter a ball. I thought, talk about slowing down the game...

I'm sure cshs will get us the specific NCAA rule...

The 10/5 Rule, is the pitcher must be on the pitcher's plate and the batter in the box within 10 seconds, after the pitcher receives the ball/or the Umpire declares

After both are ready, the pitcher has 5 seconds to begin the pitching motion.

Something about the pitcher getting 10 seconds to throw her next pitch. I don't know the specifics but one time she was rocking to go to the plate and the ump jumped out to call time and gave the batter a ball. I thought, talk about slowing down the game...

I'm sure cshs will get us the specific NCAA rule...

I don't think its a high school rule. If it is , I've never seen it called.

The 10 means that once the pitcher receives the ball in the circle, the pitcher has 10 seconds to be on the rubber and ready to pitch AND the batter has 10 seconds to be in the box ready to hit. Once both are ready, the pitcher then has 5 seconds to pitch the ball. If not, a ball can be awarded. However, if the umpire thinks the pitcher is deliberately violating the rule in order to walk the batter without actually pitching, ball 4 is NOT awarded and each base runner advances a base.

Exactly. It's a depth perception/perspective trick.

I don't know if I would use the word "trick."

By my calc, the reaction time for a baseball hitter on a 95 MPH fastball is the same as a fastpitch hitter on a 68 MPH pitch.

High school girls seeing a 68 MPH pitch (see Kirsten Allen of Ryle) are seeing the equivalent of a high school boy seeing a 102 MPH fastball.

It's fun watching some of the heat Abbott and company throw. However, I would be for moving the mound back some. I don't think that the people who developed the rules had in mind these 6 foot+ pitchers that the really good teams have. By the time they finish their stride they're right on top of the batter. I think 5 feet would be plenty.

It's fun watching some of the heat Abbott and company throw. However, I would be for moving the mound back some. I don't think that the people who developed the rules had in mind these 6 foot+ pitchers that the really good teams have. By the time they finish their stride they're right on top of the batter. I think 5 feet would be plenty.

I agree. The college pitchers are at the same distance as a 11-12 year old in little league (minor league 9-10 yrs old = 35 feet, 11-12 yrs old and beyond = 40 feet). And adjustment needs to be made, possibly starting at the high school level.

It might be something that needs to be done incrementally. Say, a foot to 18 inches per year. A drastic move back of five feet would cause a radical shift in the way the game is played. Just look how much the game shifted in the late '60s in MLB when the mound was lowered.

I agree. The college pitchers are at the same distance as a 11-12 year old in little league (minor league 9-10 yrs old = 35 feet, 11-12 yrs old and beyond = 40 feet). And adjustment needs to be made, possibly starting at the high school level.

College pitches from 43 feet. High school pitches from 40.