WCWS - plate umps

nees1212

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't even imagine how tired Mowett and Abbott are.....especially Mowett. She has pitched 8 games in 7 days and thrown way more pitches. I pitched in high school and threw about 7-8 games a week. It was very tiring, and I was pitching nowhere near this level or under this much pressure. But, regardless of the fatigue, blisters, tendonitis, etc......that all went out the window as soon as I stepped on the field. These are two first class pitchers and I'll expect no less from them tonight. They're amazing!

P.S. How 'bout Fulmer and Summitt traveling to OK City to show their support? Although, Fulmer's daughter is on the team.....

Anyone been watching any of the Women's College World Series? It's actually pretty interesting. However, how in the world can the plate ump make a call on an outside pitch? They are lined up so far inside, they can't possibly call that outside pitch. I've seen strikes called that are a good foot outside. If I were a pitcher, I'd work that outside corner all night long.

They stand in the same spot as baseball umpires. It's called "the slot". Actually, getting away from the catcher's head allows you to see the entire plate much better than hiding behind the catcher. Now, I'm not saying I agree with every call but as stated earlier you call where the ball crosses the plate, not where the catcher catches the ball.

I always have a good time with the catchers who try to "frame" the pitch. Here's the statement I make to them whenever they ask me "what was wrong with that?" My response is, "Why don't you tell me. You moved your glove." Why would catcher ever move the glove on a good pitch? Those who "frame" make it easier for us to decide when we are questioning a borderline pitch. Hold the glove still & you'll get the call. Move it and I decide that it must have been outside the strike zone.

p.s. = maybe the Reds could get some of these girls/ladies to pitch for them. Lord knows they need it.

After Jenny Finch graduated from colleg, This week in Baseball sent her on a tour of ML baseball parks where she would pitch to MLers. If my memory serves me correctly, Sean Casey was one of ONLY two MLBers to MAKE CONTACT.

Most struck out against her. I believe either Casey or the other guy hit a single to the outfield but the other one only fouled a ball off. And this was against some of the best hitters out there at that time.

After Jenny Finch graduated from colleg, This week in Baseball sent her on a tour of ML baseball parks where she would pitch to MLers. If my memory serves me correctly, Sean Casey was one of ONLY two MLBers to MAKE CONTACT.

Most struck out against her. I believe either Casey or the other guy hit a single to the outfield but the other one only fouled a ball off. And this was against some of the best hitters out there at that time.

:thumb: I remember that, wasn't it Balco Barry that fouled one off? I don't remember. I do remember Casey being the only one to hit one in fair territory.

Check out the note on Mowatt's Myspace page that was left by her sister:

PLEASE do me a big favor and beat tennesse they are sooo hard to look at...lol. Monica Abbot belongs on a farm...as a horse....haha. and the third basemen...dont even get me started with her hair...haha everytime she goes on the screen i laugh and say (derogatory term for lesbian)! okay okay...i wont be too mean...lol.

Check out the note on Mowatt's Myspace page that was left by her sister:

PLEASE do me a big favor and beat tennesse they are sooo hard to look at...lol. Monica Abbot belongs on a farm...as a horse....haha. and the third basemen...dont even get me started with her hair...haha everytime she goes on the screen i laugh and say (derogatory term for lesbian)! okay okay...i wont be too mean...lol.

WOW!!! Classy by sis...

Caitlin Lowe from Arizona beat out, not once but twice, hits straight back to the pitchcer's mound in this college world series. No error was called because the ball was fielded and thrown cleanly. Now that's speed.

Or that just emphasizes our previous point that the bases are too close. :D

I'm guessing she's a lefty?

Yes, and she's a slapper, so she's already going toward first base when she makes contact.

If I remember correctly the Olympic mound is further back than the college mound (maybe 46 feet?). I remember it being discussed about how Cat Osterman had to adjust to the mound further back when she pitched for the US in the year she took off from Texas.

Yeah, but still... you have to be fast to beat something like that out.

I heard said on there that Tennessee's Chiles could run to first in 2.6 seconds.. WITH a torn ACL. That's impressive.