WCWS - plate umps

nees1212

Anyone been watching any of the Women's College World Series? It's actually pretty interesting. However, how in the world can the plate ump make a call on an outside pitch? They are lined up so far inside, they can't possibly call that outside pitch. I've seen strikes called that are a good foot outside. If I were a pitcher, I'd work that outside corner all night long.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone been watching any of the Women's College World Series? It's actually pretty interesting. However, how in the world can the plate ump make a call on an outside pitch? They are lined up so far inside, they can't possibly call that outside pitch. I've seen strikes called that are a good foot outside. If I were a pitcher, I'd work that outside corner all night long.

I was thinking the exact same thing. There is no way those pitches can be strikes they are so far outside. Those softball pitchers are absolutely ridiculous the way they pitch and how fast they pitch it. It's really fun to watch.

I have watched quite a bit, and personally think they should move the mound back a few feet. The pitchers are too dominant from what I've seen, 2-3 no hitters in the WS is way too many if you ask me. I would rather see good defensive execution.

I have watched some of this also and I echo the comments on the pitching and how hard these ladies can throw (the Abbot girl at U.T. is unbelievable). I really can't see how they can get that kind of speed. The h.s. girls also amaze me how some of them can throw so hard.

The games are fun to watch.

p.s. = maybe the Reds could get some of these girls/ladies to pitch for them. Lord knows they need it.

Oh Yeah, I agree on the outside strike calls, if I were a pitching coach in that division I would have my pitchers throwing outside as well untill the umps quit calling them strikes. The Umps are not favoring anyone, the are consistent with the way they set up and call the plate.

What amazes me more than anything is how athletic these young ladies are:scared: .Title 9 in my opinion was the greatest thing for woman's athletics in this country and that is why they are pretty much dominate in alot of sports.:thumb:

You guys do know of course that the speed of the pitches is deceptive because of how close the pitcher's plate is to home, right? I don't think any of those girls can top 70 MPH.

That goes without saying but they can still throw awfully hard.

They need to move the mound back and make the bases longer. I saw a girl beat out a one hopper to shortstop and that should not happen. It would be nice to see if the other 8 girls on the field be able to show their skills too. Best pitcher always win. Yesterday they showed all of the Arizona All American Pitchers and then all of Arizona Championships. Go Figure!!!!!!

They need to move the mound back and make the bases longer. I saw a girl beat out a one hopper to shortstop and that should not happen.

:thumb: They should move back at least 10 feet (bases that is). The game is too pitcher dominant, and the same pitcher can pitch all weekend long. I do enjoy watching the game, but I think moving everthing back a little would make it that much more exciting.

The 10\5 second rule may be the dumbest thing I've ever heard...

:lol: You think? They called it two or three times in one inning in a game last week. There's no need for a rule to speed up a game where only 3 or 4 hits are made a game.

You guys do know of course that the speed of the pitches is deceptive because of how close the pitcher's plate is to home, right? I don't think any of those girls can top 70 MPH.

If I'm not mistaken, 70mph at that distance equates to around 90mph or 100mph at the MLB distance.

:lol: You think? They called it two or three times in one inning in a game last week. There's no need for a rule to speed up a game where only 3 or 4 hits are made a game.

That's the game I saw it on. I had never heard of it before. Honestly, they play a jv and varsity high school softball game before one baseball game is over and they have a speed up rule?