WCWS - plate umps

nees1212

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Abbott gets every outside call some of it has been wayyyy off. You can watch the AZ hitters smile when the ump calls it.

She does get a ton of corner calls. However, she has such good movement on the ball (especially going left to right) that often it crosses the plate but winds up outside by the time it hits the catchers mit. It only matters where it is when is crosses the plate not where it hits the mit.

She does get a ton of corner calls. However, she has such good movement on the ball (especially going left to right) that often it crosses the plate but winds up outside by the time it hits the catchers mit. It only matters where it is when is crosses the plate not where it hits the mit.

She has good movement but not that good. Her rise fastball is her best pitch. If you watch the game tonight, some of her outside pitches especially to leftys are 4 inches off the plate and getting called for strikes.

:thumb:Imo the calls also are pretty consistent both ways.

I don't mind a generous ump as long as it's a two-way street. :thumb:

:thumb: When I played and especially when I coached that is all you can ask for. I did a little umpiring myself for a couple of summers in Babe Ruth and other little leagues, aabc type leagues. I knew that I called a low strike, I told coaches before the game that I did and it would be there both ways. It was just the way I called. Every Ump has his strike zone. As long as he is consistent with it a team can adjust to it.

:thumb: When I played and especially when I coached that is all you can ask for. I did a little umpiring myself for a couple of summers in Babe Ruth and other little leagues, aabc type leagues. I knew that I called a low strike, I told coaches before the game that I did and it would be there both ways. It was just the way I called. Every Ump has his strike zone. As long as he is consistent with it a team can adjust to it.

I umpired little league and pony league baseball many years ago, and always went out of my way to be consistent, if nothing else.

I don't know if I would use the word "trick."

By my calc, the reaction time for a baseball hitter on a 95 MPH fastball is the same as a fastpitch hitter on a 68 MPH pitch.

High school girls seeing a 68 MPH pitch (see Kirsten Allen of Ryle) are seeing the equivalent of a high school boy seeing a 102 MPH fastball.

They said during the game tonight that her 70mph fastball was equivalent to a 105mph pitch from 60ft.:flame:

I don't think the runner ever touched home plate, however, I don't think the catcher ever tagged her. As far as the pitchers throwing it the equivalent of a 100 mph fastball keep in mind that a 205 foot fly ball is a homerun and if you tried to slap it like that on 90 foot bases you'd bat about .075. Yes, the reaction time is faster but you also don't have to make nearly as good contact to be successful.