Clarification on Billy G's DUI

mobaar

Gillispie thanks UTEP, fans for standing by him - June 26, 2003

EL PASO, Texas -- A drunken driving charge against Texas-El Paso basketball coach Billy Gillispie was dropped Wednesday after the state failed to find sufficient evidence to prosecute the case.

Prosecutor Marc Rosales asked Judge Sue Kurita to dismiss the case, scheduled to go to trial Aug. 25.

Afterward, an emotional Gillispie thanked UTEP officials and fans for sticking with him through a rough period.

"It's a relief," he told the El Paso Times in its Thursday edition. "I'm very remorseful. I brought a lot of negative attention to a lot of people.

"I want to make a difference in young people's lives. I'm sure I damaged some of my credibility."

Gillispie was arrested early on the morning of Jan. 26 in downtown El Paso. It was within hours of one of just six wins last season.

Gillispie refused a breath test and was released. Later the same day, Gillispie was arrested again and charged with DWI after District Attorney Jaime Esparza reviewed the case at the urging of Police Chief Carlos Leon.

Gillispie entered a not guilty plea in April.

Rosales said detectives found that Gillispie had between four and five drinks over a three-hour period. The prosecutor said the findings were submitted to police department's toxicologists, who determined that Gillispie's blood alcohol level would have been much lower than necessary for a conviction under Texas law.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not trying to stir crap up. This was brought up by another poster, and I'm just giving background.

The other poster also mentioned 2 DUIs, but I've only found this one incident. It was 4 years ago, and charges were dropped, so I don't have a huge problem with it. Just giving everyone else the scoop.

Don't overreact, MTNFAN. As long as he was drinking Makers Mark or some other Kentucky bourbon he will be fine.

I know this was posted with a bit of sarcasm and is a nice little joke, I'll be honest. However, one thing I was thinking (as a Tubby loyalist) is that it's amazing that thousands of fans (prominently Tubby bashers) will conveniently look over DUI charges but lose their mind over a loss to Vandy. On the big scale of life, what's the bigger deal?

I'm not for one second trying to rip Billy G., I'll support the guy every day he is here, the same I did with Tubby. Just a little side note.

No need to apologize, mobaar. Such information is relevant. Hopefully, the incidents will not be repeated in Lexington and the fact that charges were dropped should surprise no one. That's how it usually works for high profile people.

NineOh, your post is right on target. As long as he produces big winners at UK, his personal deportment will be, to many, "irrelevant and immaterial". My post carries the same thesis as does yours.

The last paragraph has me scratching my head:

Rosales said detectives found that Gillispie had between four and five drinks over a three-hour period. The prosecutor said the findings were submitted to police department's toxicologists, who determined that Gillispie's blood alcohol level would have been much lower than necessary for a conviction under Texas law.

If Gillispie refused a breath test I would like to know just how the "detectives" found that he had between four and five drinks vs. one and two drinks or nine and ten drinks. Maybe they talked to the bartender/bar owner (that certainly had plenty of reasons to minimize the amount of alcohol consumed) or an "independent witness" or a friend of Gillispie.

I could care less if Gillispie got a DUI but based on that paragraph from the article it doesn't pass the smell test.

The last paragraph has me scratching my head:

If Gillispie refused a breath test I would like to know just how the "detectives" found that he had between four and five drinks vs. one and two drinks or nine and ten drinks. Maybe they talked to the bartender/bar owner (that certainly had plenty of reasons to minimize the amount of alcohol consumed) or an "independent witness" or a friend of Gillispie.

I could care less if Gillispie got a DUI but based on that paragraph from the article it doesn't pass the smell test.

Maybe they just accepted what Gillispie told them. You are correct. whether the case or not, it smells of partiality.

:thumb: :thumb: :laugh:

Could this become the 1st "Billy Bashing" thread on BGP?? LOL.

I hope not. Another poster started a thread on it, and I wanted the background, so I found it. Didn't mean to cause a ruckus.

Anyway.. if you're doing a search for it, look for DWI and not DUI.