Gas up almost 30 cents overnight

Sportz Addict

Fair enough. I'll play along.

Point one: You never refuted my points in the first post on this subject. Rifinery problems and Mid-East tension are suddenly "new things" to all of us?

Point two: I agree this isn't about politics, it's about the people in charge. I want the best people representing our country period. I'm sure you do as well.

Point three: If you REALLY think OPEC controls oil prices more than the United States, then you're way off. The US controls the economy of everything it touches. Oil included. This is an easy one.

Refinery shortages have been getting worse and worse over the past 30 years. You can partially blame the EPA, however, some of the refineries were making a real mess, especially in areas like Louisiana. So the rules on refineries got a lot tougher, and now, no one is willing to build new ones. They're just too overregulated.

10 years ago, I would have agreed that the US controlled the world economy. That's no longer true. We've given up this position to others, especially the Chinese who's hunger for oil and other natural resources is growing dramtaically. Because of China and other high growth areas like India, we will never see low gas prices again.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Refinery shortages have been getting worse and worse over the past 30 years. You can partially blame the EPA, however, some of the refineries were making a real mess, especially in areas like Louisiana. So the rules on refineries got a lot tougher, and now, no one is willing to build new ones. They're just too overregulated.

10 years ago, I would have agreed that the US controlled the world economy. That's no longer true. We've given up this position to others, especially the Chinese who's hunger for oil and other natural resources is growing dramtaically. Because of China and other high growth areas like India, we will never see low gas prices again.

We will see a day when its under a dollar again. Not for a while though. Once we come up with some better alternative sources, gas will be nothing. They know it thats why they are milking us while they can.

Refinery problems were never an issue before 2000, and NEVER news unless people died. Now, everytime there's a fire it's news because it's an excuse for gas to rise by 30 cents for a week or two. This is a pretty weak crutch, even the American public is starting to figure it out.

I'll agree a lot has changed for the worse in the last 10 years, but not our place in the world market. I submit that even the threat of opening our oil reserve would cripple the OPEC nations, and gas prices would fall, fall, fall. It worked pretty well in the 90's.

You fail to admit key reasoning behind this. It's not so much the fact that China and India are growing. Its the fact that Chavez is sending his oil to those countries intentionally. He does not want to give the US anymore oil then he needs to, to make his money. He HATES Bush with a passion. Bush partnered in several acts against Chavez, so now he sends his oil to Asia. It cost Chavez a fortune to send his oil to Asia. Obviously, our shores are much closer. Bush has done nothing but make enemies since getting into office, this one is costing the American people A LOT of money. But why does Bush care? He has the money to pay for gas, and he is profiting from the oil anyway.

You fail to admit key reasoning behind this. It's not so much the fact that China and India are growing. Its the fact that Chavez is sending his oil to those countries intentionally. He does not want to give the US anymore oil then he needs to, to make his money. He HATES Bush with a passion. Bush partnered in several acts against Chavez, so now he sends his oil to Asia. It cost Chavez a fortune to send his oil to Asia. Obviously, our shores are much closer. Bush has done nothing but make enemies since getting into office, this one is costing the American people A LOT of money. But why does Bush care? He has the money to pay for gas, and he is profiting from the oil anyway.

Venezuela exports 60% of their oil to the United States.

In the International Energy Outlook 2006 reference case, world oil demand increases by 47 percent from 2003 to 2030. Non-OECD Asia, including China and India, accounts for 43 percent of the increase.

To meet the projected increase in world oil demand in the IEO2006 reference case, total petroleum supply in 2030 will need to increase by 38 million barrels per day, to 118 million barrels per day, from the 2003 level of 80 million barrels per day. OPEC producers are expected to provide 14.6 million barrels per day of the increase. Higher oil prices cause a substantial increase in non-OPEC oil production—23.7 million barrels per day, which represents 62 percent of the increase in total world oil supplies over the projection period. The estimates of production increases are based on current proved reserves and a country-by-country assessment of ultimately recoverable petroleum.

China- Venezuelan oil exports to China have gone up to 150,000 barrels per day in 2006 from the 12,300 barrels per day being delivered in 2004 and are expected to increase to 500,000 barrels per day within five years. As part of agreements signed in 2005, China is investing $2 billion in oil-related exploration and development projects in Venezuela’s Zumano region and Orinoco oil belt.

Iran- Venezuela and Iran made agreements in August 2006 to build joint oil refineries in Indonesia, Syria, and Venezuela. In addition, Iran’s state-owned oil company Petropars has begun to invest in oil exploration and development in the Orinoco belt.

India- Venezuela agreed in April 2006 to begin sending two million barrels per month to India, according to India Daily. Both countries are jointly exploring for heavy crude oil in India.

Chavez is picking his customers. He wants to get it to the point where he can cut us off. Will it happen.. doubt it. But it can raise the prices like it is now.

The next move should be for the government to assist citzens that are on SSI (disability, welfare, and other government assistance. This way gas can go to 10 dollars a gallon, but the same people that cause the long lines at Wal Mart, every first of the month, won't have to stay at home.

:madman:

Well this is now a take 2 thread. Gas has jumped now 16 cents over night here... was 2.69 last night now its 2.85? Reasoning?

A refinery hasn't been built in over 30 years, for starters. Production hasn't increased but demand certainly has.

Bush has promised his oil friends a lot of money during the next two years and this is his best way of getting it to them.

Thanks for putting the oil man in charge of what once was a great country.

:rolleyes:

I don't want to blame only Bush but he certainly has a role in it. What has he done to lower it? Obviously, he has some stake in it cause he is in NO hurry to find a way to lower it. Or to build refineries. If I saw him taking some kinda of an aggressive approach toward it, it would satisfy me. Only thing ive heard him say is "Americans are addicted to oil."

I don't want to blame only Bush but he certainly has a role in it. What has he done to lower it? Obviously, he has some stake in it cause he is in NO hurry to find a way to lower it. Or to build refineries. If I saw him taking some kinda of an aggressive approach toward it, it would satisfy me. Only thing ive heard him say is "Americans are addicted to oil."

Are we not? It is in limited supply, and it isn't getting any more plentiful. Considering gas companies have an essential monopoly, and have had one since the 70s, the government could probably do something. Whether it be facilitating other investors and businesses in opening up new refineries or what have you. But to sit back and lay the blame squarely on Bush, with no evidence, is a bit short-sighted.