Conner 60 Highlands 50

IBALL

Oldguy:

I do not understand what your point is exactly, is it OK to let them rough each other up because we do not have enough refs or is it that the fans are just complaining too much. I have seen 3 girls go out of 1 game injured and I just do not think that is the intent of basketball.

I do not agree with it in the boys game either, at least in football they have the proper safety gear.

If you have seen games in the Lexington area, meaning the 11th Region, they have always played a much more physical style of play (no blood no foul) and more and more Regions are turning to that style. Now in our own 9th Region the referees in the past have called fouls even if you looked at a player side ways for years, but times are changing as is the style of play and calling fouls. Like I said you are seeing more and more referees doing both girls and boys games and calling the same style of no blood no foul calling.

Not saying I agree either, but if you watch a lot of Basketball on the College and Pro level that is the style of play now. Gone are the day's of touchie feelie style of calling fouls...

The girls parents seem to want to protect their little girls from harms way far more than the parents of the boys. The boys parents seem to understand the change in the style of play, and understand it is what it is, but the girls parents seems to still want to protect their child. Now I do want a referee to call a hard foul, but long gone are the day's of little Sally being out on the floor, and not wanting to sweat....or worried about getting a floor burn. The girls game has change a ton, over the last ten years or so, especially at the level of the LexCath, Scott County, Central Hardin or Sacred Hearts of the Commonwealth.

Finally at the girls game I hear far more complaining of "fouls" called or not called, than in any boys game.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I agree with this statement:

"If you have seen games in the Lexington area, meaning the 11th Region, they have always played a much more physical style of play (no blood no foul) and more and more Regions are turning to that style."

I'll have to say that they can't hold a candle to how rough life is in the 15th region!

I am not talking about little Sallie getting fouled, I am talking about physically hurting another child on purpose.

When it is ok for boys and girls to have a license to go on a basketball court and kick another player in the head after the whistle, or shove another player from behind when they are in the air because you are losing, then we should re-think basketball and start signing our kids up for Wrestling.

If you think that the girls play the way you describe then you have not been to many girls games in the 8th region. They play very physical and rough, believe me your take on Girls' ball is way off. I watch many college games and high school games and college is not nearly as rough as I have seen locally.

Generally speaking basketball has evolved (devolved?) from 40 - 50 years ago to a point where so much more contact is allowed in all facets of the game, e.g., low post play, rebounding, hand-checking, "hedging," jumping into the defender on a shot {"rule of verticality"}, forearming cutters, etc. Much of the fluidity and artistry of the game has been lost.

Agree 100% High school basketball has become an organized brawl. This falls 100% on the refs.

Conner 60 Highland Heights 50

For Conner, #12 Long had 19 points, #11 Stephanie Hodges had her third straight double double, #1 Huff had a season high 12 points, and even though Senior point guard #31 Kat O’Neill had a tough shooting night, she still provided great leadership and key baskets for Conner. The entire Conner team contributed for the win.

As reported in the paper, Coach Warfield changing to a zone in the second half kept Highlands off the free throw line and Highlands had no answer. Conner played disciplined ball and made free throws down the stretch to seal the victory.

The only low point of the game occurred when a Highland Heights player delivered a cheap shot to a Conner player on a breakaway lay-up. The Highlands player didn’t go for the ball, but pulled the Conner player down using both hands hitting her at the shoulder. This knock down was while the Conner player was in mid air after the ball was already released, with no way to protect herself.

This ugly incident brings me to a question for everyone, “How long are we going to allow cheap shots on lay-ups?”

Even the NBA doesn’t tolerate this anymore. I’m sure some will say, “It’s a hard foul and part of the game.” I’m not buying that anymore. Those days are long gone. This time the player was not seriously hurt. Next time, she may not be so lucky.

• It is NOT the right of the defensive player to intentionally try to harm the player going for a lay-up!!!!

• It is time for coaches and parents to teach their kids that it is not acceptable to intentionally hurt another player.

Ironically, in the second half the tables were turned. This same Highlands player had a breakaway lay-up, and the same Conner player that had been the victim of the cheap shot earlier, was the trailing defensive player. The Conner player showed a lot of class by not retaliating with a “hard” foul…..she just stole the ball away from her.

So, let’s hear what you think. Do you want to see an end to cheap shots or are you in favor of that style of play?

IBall, I don't know if you have viewed the video of the game , but there is a parent on your team who did tape the game and I can tell you that was certainly a dirty, cheap intentional foul. I was not personally at the game but I have watched the tape and I believe a foul where someone just grabs someone from behind and throws them to the floor with no chance to even make a play on the ball deserves at least a 1 game suspension.

I have a very good friend who is a ref and I will be putting a copy of this video in his hand and will have it looked into. This type of play can end a girls bball career. I certainly do not believe her coach told her to do this.

I believe both sides of the ball , girls and boys alike ,the refs need to get better control.

I will have to soundly disagree with my friends who say basketball is more physical in the lexington area than in the 9th region. I grew up and played in Lexington and though it's certainly better basketball, it's not more physical. The 9th region style of play rewards thuggery instead of great basketball talent. I've seen very good, skilled basketball players in this region marginalized because some football player impersonating as a basketball player grabbs, holds and shoves him all over the court. Up here he's a great defensive player. In the state tournament he's watching because he's fouled out. There is a reason for the lack of state titles in basketball from the 9th region. Obviousley I'm referring to boys, but the same incompetent refs that do boys games also do girls games.

IBall, I don't know if you have viewed the video of the game , but there is a parent on your team who did tape the game and I can tell you that was certainly a dirty, cheap intentional foul. I was not personally at the game but I have watched the tape and I believe a foul where someone just grabs someone from behind and throws them to the floor with no chance to even make a play on the ball deserves at least a 1 game suspension.

I have a very good friend who is a ref and I will be putting a copy of this video in his hand and will have it looked into. This type of play can end a girls bball career. I certainly do not believe her coach told her to do this.

I believe both sides of the ball , girls and boys alike ,the refs need to get better control.

If the player deserves a one game suspension what does the offical who doesn't make the intentional foul call get? Bottom line, if the official would start calling this it might make the players(boys and girls) stop these types of plays.

I will have to soundly disagree with my friends who say basketball is more physical in the lexington area than in the 9th region. I grew up and played in Lexington and though it's certainly better basketball, it's not more physical. The 9th region style of play rewards thuggery instead of great basketball talent. I've seen very good, skilled basketball players in this region marginalized because some football player impersonating as a basketball player grabbs, holds and shoves him all over the court. Up here he's a great defensive player. In the state tournament he's watching because he's fouled out. There is a reason for the lack of state titles in basketball from the 9th region. Obviousley I'm referring to boys, but the same incompetent refs that do boys games also do girls games.

I think I have to agree w/bjim. I have witnessed games all over the state and I believe the 9th reg is very physical. I know from a Boone stand point, they have way more fouls called on them when playing out of the region, although they get their share in the 9th also.

Coach K, send the tape to Tom Haas. Let him bring this to the attention of the refs in the region and the bone heads who had the game.

Maybe when one of these blatant fouls occurs, the player should be made to sit the rest of the game w/a technical and a one game suspension. I bet this would cut down on such fouls. This should be a group decision by the refs on the severity of the foul.

I would skip your friend and send it directly to the KHSAA. If it was as bad as you describe, this should be reviewed. And, as bluethunder noted, not only the offending player, but also the referee should be reprimanded (if deemed appropriate)

There is no place in basketball for this type of action.

My first comment is in response to the question beginning the thread. There is no place in basketball for hard fouls. Dirty play should not be tolerated by officials, coaches and parents. As most have said, I don't know a single coach who would condone such play.

I was intrigued by the description of the foul and that only 1 person in attendance gave an account of the foul. So I talked to 3 parents of HHS varsity players and ask them about the foul. All agreed that the bodies came together and that the HHS girl should have been called for a foul, but none saw it as flagrant or not even close to dirty. The young lady who committed the foul is as far from a dirty player as you will ever find.

Maybe we all need to see this tape of the incident before we start condeming the HHS player or asking for the ref to be disciplined.

My first comment is in response to the question beginning the thread. There is no place in basketball for hard fouls. Dirty play should not be tolerated by officials, coaches and parents. As most have said, I don't know a single coach who would condone such play.

I was intrigued by the description of the foul and that only 1 person in attendance gave an account of the foul. So I talked to 3 parents of HHS varsity players and ask them about the foul. All agreed that the bodies came together and that the HHS girl should have been called for a foul, but none saw it as flagrant or not even close to dirty. The young lady who committed the foul is as far from a dirty player as you will ever find.

Maybe we all need to see this tape of the incident before we start condeming the HHS player or asking for the ref to be disciplined.

I believe if you talked to 3 Conner’s parents, they may have a different opinion.

This kind of play may not be this players “norm”, but last Saturday night the hit she delivered could have led to injury. As you know, when you are hit in mid air, the shooter is defenseless. The force turned her entire body in mid air and she landed on her right shoulder.

There is no place for that kind of play in basketball. How can that be defended? It is not ok to ever slam into someone that is in mid air.

That is wrong.

Hopefully, if we raise more awareness about this issue, it will help stop this kind of play. It doesn’t make the game better.

Does Conner have a bunch of seniors or some good young players???

Conner has been starting 3 seniors, 1 junior, and 1 sophomore. Other players are one freshman, 3 sophomores, and 3 juniors. I think. It's late.

IMO, any time a player is fouled on a break away lay-up from "behind," whether going for the ball or not, it should be intentional.

The official can reward the shooting team with a 2 shots and the ball even if its not deemed intentional. If its a foul that could result in serious injury (and usually from behind), it does not have to be intentional to be called.