Conner 60 Highlands 50

IBALL

Conner 60 Highlands 50

For Conner, #12 Long had 19 points, #11 Stephanie Hodges had her third straight double double, #1 Huff had a season high 12 points, and even though Senior point guard #31 Kat O’Neill had a tough shooting night, she still provided great leadership and key baskets for Conner. The entire Conner team contributed for the win.

As reported in the paper, Coach Warfield changing to a zone in the second half kept Highlands off the free throw line and Highlands had no answer. Conner played disciplined ball and made free throws down the stretch to seal the victory.

The only low point of the game occurred when a Highland Heights player delivered a cheap shot to a Conner player on a breakaway lay-up. The Highlands player didn’t go for the ball, but pulled the Conner player down using both hands hitting her at the shoulder. This knock down was while the Conner player was in mid air after the ball was already released, with no way to protect herself.

This ugly incident brings me to a question for everyone, “How long are we going to allow cheap shots on lay-ups?”

Even the NBA doesn’t tolerate this anymore. I’m sure some will say, “It’s a hard foul and part of the game.” I’m not buying that anymore. Those days are long gone. This time the player was not seriously hurt. Next time, she may not be so lucky.

• It is NOT the right of the defensive player to intentionally try to harm the player going for a lay-up!!!!

• It is time for coaches and parents to teach their kids that it is not acceptable to intentionally hurt another player.

Ironically, in the second half the tables were turned. This same Highlands player had a breakaway lay-up, and the same Conner player that had been the victim of the cheap shot earlier, was the trailing defensive player. The Conner player showed a lot of class by not retaliating with a “hard” foul…..she just stole the ball away from her.

So, let’s hear what you think. Do you want to see an end to cheap shots or are you in favor of that style of play?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Conner 60 Highlands 50

For Conner, #12 Long had 19 points, #11 Stephanie Hodges had her third straight double double, #1 Huff had a season high 12 points, and even though Senior point guard #31 Kat O’Neill had a tough shooting night, she still provided great leadership and key baskets for Conner. The entire Conner team contributed for the win.

As reported in the paper, Coach Warfield changing to a zone in the second half kept Highlands off the free throw line and Highlands had no answer. Conner played disciplined ball and made free throws down the stretch to seal the victory.

The only low point of the game occurred when a Highlands player delivered a cheap shot to a Conner player on a breakaway lay-up. The Highlands player didn’t go for the ball, but pulled the Conner player down using both hands hitting her at the shoulder. This knock down was while the Conner player was in mid air after the ball was already released, with no way to protect herself.

This ugly incident brings me to a question for everyone, “How long are we going to allow cheap shots on lay-ups?”

Even the NBA doesn’t tolerate this anymore. I’m sure some will say, “It’s a hard foul and part of the game.” I’m not buying that anymore. Those days are long gone. This time the player was not seriously hurt. Next time, she may not be so lucky.

• It is NOT the right of the defensive player to intentionally try to harm the player going for a lay-up!!!!

• It is time for coaches and parents to teach their kids that it is not acceptable to intentionally hurt another player.

Ironically, in the second half the tables were turned. This same Highlands player had a breakaway lay-up, and the same Conner player that had been the victim of the cheap shot earlier, was the trailing defensive player. The Conner player showed a lot of class by not retaliating with a “hard” foul…..she just stole the ball away from her.

So, let’s hear what you think. Do you want to see an end to cheap shots or are you in favor of that style of play?

Was an intentional foul called?

I agree with you IBALL, I see a lot of this in the Girls games, many times the refs do not make the call intentional and many times, under the basket, they do not even blow the whistle. I feel like they are in a hurry to get the game over.

I am tired of kids trying to hurt each other, the ref should handle it at the beginning of the game and it should not be tolerated.

Another thing that I have seen more and more this year is when there is a loose ball and a player is on the floor with it, the other players are allowed to jump on and pile on the player. Why is that not a foul? Someone is going to get hurt badly and it happens 2 or 3 times per game.

Another thing that I have seen more and more this year is when there is a loose ball and a player is on the floor with it, the other players are allowed to jump on and pile on the player. Why is that not a foul? Someone is going to get hurt badly and it happens 2 or 3 times per game.

An example illustrated quite well in the Madison Courier photo from Friday night. :thumb:

Exactly, even though it is my player, it happens every game. You should not be able to go through the player to get the ball or gain an advantage from physical contact.

Yesterday I saw a player tackle another girl, (should go out for football) and there was no call even though one player was layed out on the floor and hurt.

With the limited number of referee's doing the large amount of both girls and boys games, a large number of these referee's are doing the boys game one night and the girls games another. In the many, many boys games that I have seen this season it seems to me that many of the ref's are going to the "let them play style of calling fouls", and since they are doing it in the boys games, these same referees are doing it in the girls game also. In attending the many, many games, in the Northern Kentucky, Lexington, and Louisville area this season that I have of both girls and boys games, the girls games seems to draw the biggest belly aching of fans against the referees. Understand the number of fans in the stands for the girls games are considering smaller except for certain top flight games, but the screaming, and yelling of the fans especially the parents is far worse in the girls games, than any boys games that I have been too this year.....against the referees.

Hard fouls are part of any HS Basketball game. I'm sure all would agree, no one wants cheap hits.

Intentional or flagrant fouls, usually result in instances where players are deemed, to have committed this act.

I agree. If a player at least goes after the ball then its just part of the game. If a player runs into the opponent's legs or something dirty, then it should be an intentional foul. Hard fouls are part of the NBA and college as well.

Oldguy:

I do not understand what your point is exactly, is it OK to let them rough each other up because we do not have enough refs or is it that the fans are just complaining too much. I have seen 3 girls go out of 1 game injured and I just do not think that is the intent of basketball.

I do not agree with it in the boys game either, at least in football they have the proper safety gear.

Intentional fouls are a tough call and a hard word to interpret according to the rules. I agree that a blatant foul is very dangerous which usually occurs on a break away lay-up. Towards the end of a game when a team is losing, they must foul to get the ball back. Obviously, these are intentional fouls and left up to the discretion of the refs to call it intentional or not but they are intentional.

IMO, any time a player is fouled on a break away lay-up from "behind," whether going for the ball or not, it should be intentional.

II don't know of one coach in the 9th region who teaches their players to intentionally hurt another player.. Why wasn't an intentional foul called?

Come on blue! Let me rephrase my comments to say "break away" meaning having at least 2/3 steps, a clear shot at the basket w/out another player side by side. How's that? I agree, they don't teach it.

You edited your comment while I was posting about your break away comment.

Generally speaking basketball has evolved (devolved?) from 40 - 50 years ago to a point where so much more contact is allowed in all facets of the game, e.g., low post play, rebounding, hand-checking, "hedging," jumping into the defender on a shot {"rule of verticality"}, forearming cutters, etc. Much of the fluidity and artistry of the game has been lost.