Attention Bluegrassprepers!

theguru

I know how easy it is to make a typographical error because I have made a ton of them on here.

I also know that you can edit your posts to correct them which I have done several times.

Being from the old school where you were taught that there is only one correct spelling of most words, I heartily agree with your decision.:thumb: :thumb:

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe this has been such a big deal.

I don't blame the Guru and the Mods for doing this. Some just need to accept the rules.

I don't always agree with every rule at work but I have to accept it there and it should be no different on here.

I join many others in saluting "The Management" for this new policy. My good friend, GolfRev, is correct that English is "taught" in each school in the Commonwealth. However, the English curriculum in the public schools of today (Rose Hill, I am pleased to say, is an exception) is not the English curriculum that existed when GolfRev attended school. The overwhelming majority of public schools pay only "lip service" at best to the all important areas of grammar and spelling. Most of our younger English teachers know nothing about sentence structure, parts of speech, diagramming of sentences, and the other all important components of proper written (and spoken) communication. Thus, it is no wonder that our students are embarrassingly incompetent in these areas.

However, I believe you will find that this apathy doesn't extend to the workplace. As an employer and as member of an occupation that requires proper communication, both written and spoken, I refuse to hire anyone who lacks a strong background in grammar and spelling. Most of my colleagues follow the same policy.

If you think I am taking a shot at public schools, you better check it out for yourself. You will find that I am correct. Consequently, this new policy will actually function as a public service to those in need of the basics of communication. Again, I thank "The Management" for this vital contribution to education.

Again, this is a excellent rule that we all can live with, there's

no need of bad grammar, anytime, anyplace, at work, school,

and anywhere. I know myself, I'm not very good in english,

my problem has always been spelling, but I try to make a

effort to get it right, but sometimes I still mess up.:D

Originally posted by super

Again, this is a excellent rule that we all can live with, there's

no need of bad grammar, anytime, anyplace, at work, school,

and anywhere. I know myself, I'm not very good in english,

my problem has always been spelling, but I try to make a

effort to get it right, but sometimes I still mess up.:D

But at least you're trying, super! We know you're trying, and that's all we can ask of you! You're making the effort to try and to improve!:cool: :thumb:

When I was at BGHS, I made a "C" in Advanced Composition. Turns out that it was harder than English 101 at Western...I made an "A" in that!! Now, I'm not disparaging a Western education, so don't get me wrong...I'm merely pointing out how excruciating Advanced Composition was at Alma Mater!! I'm much more educated in the English language as a result. And I was GRILLED in proper tense, sentence structure, punctuation, and all the other nuts and bolts at the Jr High!! It has stuck with me for about 30 years, and I'm thankful every day for the education I received in BG Independent Schools!!:thumb: :thumb:

All hail the guru and his merry band of moderators for their courage to follow this course of action.

I have been reading BGP for two years and posting for about eight months. It is an invaluable resource for those of us interested in the sports and kids in our great Commonwealth.

The only significant complaint I have had is the fact that I often come away with my mind reeling from the lingual gymnastics employed by certain members. I have often wanted to suggest this line of action, but did not know how to do so without offending, or coming off as being condescending.

Requesting a bit of added attention to our grammatical efforts is in no way a judgment upon any member's character or personal merit. Some of the greatest individuals I have known, would never have been mistaken for Shakespeare. This is primarily an effort to clarify our communications.

I see nothing wrong with setting our sights a bit higher. A rising tide lifts all the boats in the harbor… and I must say that I’m darn glad to be floating with all of you!

:thumb:

Originally posted by theguru

Not really, remember, America is a Republic, not a Democracy and this site is the same way.

By the way guru… kudos on your statement that that America is a republic—not a democracy— a subtle distinction certainly, but a distinction that most overlook.

I must however, disagree with your subsequent statement that, “…this site is the same way.”

IMHO, the fact that we do not hold elections to appoint the leaders who administer this site leads me to suggest that BGP might be more appropriately defined as a “benevolent dictatorship.”

While it is fortunate, that our kindly potentate has chosen to rule under the gentle and free spirit of a true republic, it must be noted that you did indeed found this little realm, and establish its rules.

Unlike those unfortunate souls born without choice into a land they wish to escape, we are completely free to choose whether we will pay our annual membership fee, and become a citizen of status, or we may choose to place our “citizenship” elsewhere. This is entirely a voluntary and willful action on our part.

The fact is, we choose to be here, and I for one must state that it is the high standards and gentle tone you have established that keep me coming back. I am neither embarrassed nor concerned to have my wife or children visit this site and read any member’s posts. While they may not receive the same grammatical edification one might expect to derive from reading Charles Dickens, I do not have to worry that they will have their hearts and minds tainted by inflammatory dialogue.

As a citizen of status ("paid member") within the BGP community, we acknowledge the rules, and agree to abide within them. If we are truly customers as FOB suggests, it is the higher standard set by this site that makes me a happy customer indeed.

:thumb:

Originally posted by PurpleHaze

But at least you're trying, super! We know you're trying, and that's all we can ask of you! You're making the effort to try and to improve!:cool: :thumb:

When I was at BGHS, I made a "C" in Advanced Composition. Turns out that it was harder than English 101 at Western...I made an "A" in that!! Now, I'm not disparaging a Western education, so don't get me wrong...I'm merely pointing out how excruciating Advanced Composition was at Alma Mater!! I'm much more educated in the English language as a result. And I was GRILLED in proper tense, sentence structure, punctuation, and all the other nuts and bolts at the Jr High!! It has stuck with me for about 30 years, and I'm thankful every day for the education I received in BG Independent Schools!!:thumb: :thumb:

Thanks, for the kind words.

You are cracking me up Fastbreak, a republic sounds so much better than a dictatorship.

Thanks for the history lesson. You are correct but I think we are somewhere in between a republic and a benevolent dictatorship.:thumb:

Oh, it may sound better, but since when did you do anything simply for appearances?

How about a “Munificent Monarchy,” or perhaps an “Affable Autocracy?” ;)

They maintain factual integrity, while striking the ear more gently than "Dictatorship"

...your Majesty...

:lol: :thumb:

My old buddy, Fastbreak, sure knows how to turn a phrase.

He is a veritable plethora of verbal and gramatical correctness, a fountainhead of linguistic and historical knowledge!

(also he's pretty smart and talks real good!)

You are a breath of fresh air FB!

Keep 'em coming!!!!:D

I’ve got it G…

You may establish BGP as a “Principality” along the lines of Monaco. The fact that this tiny domain of just over one square mile has been ruled as an absolute monarchy for 700 years has not prevented it from gaining notoriety as the “playground for the rich.”

In 1962, His Serene Highness, Prince Ranier III softened the Constitution of 1911. Government is now exercised under the supreme authority of the Prince, and a council personally nominated by the Prince. They answer for their actions directly to the Prince. (Sounds like moderators to me…)

One of the more appealing aspects of this constitution is the succession to the Throne via the principle of “primogeniture,” whereby only the direct and legitimate descendants of the reigning Prince may succeed to the Throne. (This reduces any concerns you may have in regard to a possible coup by Birdsfan, Nets, newarkcatholicfan, nWo, Oldbird, password, Philip Hay, swamprat, and the boys.)

Precedence is also granted to male descendants over female descendants of the same degree of kin. (An outstanding strategy for keeping the Chick Nation in check…) In the absence of legitimate descendants, an adopted child may succeed to the Throne.

Hey, I’m just spit-balling here, but I think this system has its merits…

“The Principality of Bluegrass Preps governed by HSH (His Serene Highness) Guru I.”

Although well on its way, BGP will soon become known as the “Playground for the erudite sports fan.”

(Man, I can’t wait until we have some genuine “Basketball” topics to bat around in our neck of the woods…:lol:)