Attention Bluegrassprepers!

theguru

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To the best of my knowledge, and by a review of my posts, I don't believe any reasonable person could conclude that I have made any personal attacks against TBF or, for that matter, anyone else. That is not my purpose. Those on this forum who know me know that is not how I operate.

Apparently I have hit a raw nerve with TBF. The thread deals with a newand good policy by the management to require posts that are at least readable and show at least marginal skills of communication. My purpose is to support the policy and, because I do have a good bit of knowledge as to how our public education system works (sometimes by compromising what has always been considered important for the sake of "good" test scores on awards tests), to offer my opinion as to why BGP needs such a policy.

Now, for some reason, my good friend, TBF, takes it all personally. He seeks to turn it into private vs. public; arrogant vs. "humble"; have vs. have not as much; etc. I don't mind the personal attacks because they go with the territory. However, I have always heard that those who have no facts always rely on anger and personal attacks.

TBF, continue to take your best shots. However, don't distort what I say. As an example, I am sure much of your anger stems from me mentioning that Rose Hill still teaches English grammar. That is just fact. I didn't say that it made RH a better academic institution than Raceland. I merely pointed out a fact. Now, to be honest, in the area of proper communication, the fact that RH still emphasizes English grammar is an indication to those in academia and in employee recruitment that it is doing a better job of preparing students for the future- at least in this one area.

This is not a criticism of public school teachers. It is a criticism of where public education places its priorities- at least in the truly vital area of proper communication.

Finally, I stand by everything I have posted earlier. It is always reassuring to stand by the facts. So now you can again get upset and take your shots. You are truly passionate in your posts. Unfortunately, you continue to debate with all emotion and no facts. Emotion quickly fades but facts remain.

Originally posted by Fastbreak

Hey Bro, you know that even a blind hog will find an acorn every now and then... :lol:

By hailing nWo as "Bro" I intend to extend to him my sentiments of considering him my "brother." Anyone who might suggest that "Bro" is an inference to something less noble is simply grasping at rotten straws...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You have not hit a raw nerve. I simply choose to take exception with the statements or assumptions that you make. You say that you are giving facts and I speak with emotion and anger. What facts have you stated? That RH teaches grammer and no other school does and they are doing a better job. Any reasonable person would look at this statement and know that this is pure conjecture on your part. Have you been to every school in the state? How do you know Rose Hill is any better or worse at teaching English than any other school? It is frankly undeterminable. We have too many factors involved in education to truly determine which teachers are better, or what system works better. My biggest contention with KERA is the pure fantasy that test scores can always increase and that ALL students can learn. All students can't and don't learn, not because of their mental capacity or ability to learn, but simply from the enviromental conditions around them. And that most certainly is not confined to the school that a student attends.

He tries to make this appear that this is a private/public debate. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with it. I have friends that send their children to RH and friends that are members of the church. Hey I have one of my dearest friends who is a pastor recently discuss taking the pastors position at the church. I simply disagree that anyone can make the determination that our teachers of today are teaching english improperly and that Scooter can not possibly know how and what every school in the state is doing in their english department. We do know the parameters that KERA has set forth but in reality the state changes how things are viewed and graded on a daily basis. I don't agree with a lot of the things they are doing, but maybe in the end everyone will be better for the effort.

Scooter says he is my friend on two occasions in this thread. I hope that my real friends don't have such a viewpoint of me as Scooter. He says he doesn't make personal attacks but review his last post and anyone can see he states that TBF is angry and took this personally. And anger is referenced by this: "I have always heard that those who have no facts always rely on anger and personal attacks."

The policy that BGP has taken means very little to me. I made my statement that I felt it was unnecessary and petty. I can't believe that if someone doesn't spell correctly or doesn't put a comma somewhere that we can't still take their post and praise it or debate it. If someone posts incomprehensibly, then just go to the next post. It's not that big a deal. This is a paid site and such I would feel would be a little less regulated and most certainly not so strict to limit a person if they wish to discuss a topic but are unable to use correct punctuation or choose not to use correct punctuation. But I am not strongly for or against the policy. It will have no effect on my participation unless I am banned. In that case my life will continue just as it does each and every day with smiles and laughs and the thanks for my family and friends.

For the record: I am not an educator. Nor do I work for the state department of education. But I am a big supporter of the people who go to schools everyday and do their very best to educate our children.

After reading your rambling reply, I suppose it is best that we just agree to disagree as to the importance of teaching our youth proper communication skills. However, I would hope that you would agree that we are "dumbing down" more each school year and the result is damaging the country. Need proof? Check Ashland Community and Technical College and see how many students (almost all of whom are local high school graduates) take remedial classes to cover what they didn't get in secondary school. I support our teachers as much as you. Nonetheless, the tendency to move from the basics to feel good fluff and to teaching the awards test is harmful. This isn't necessarily the fault of teachers because they are merely doing what they are told to do by local administrators and the nomads of Frankfort.

Now, rather than getting mad at me, ask a few of our real, honest to goodness, longtime teachers (don't waste your time asking teachers who only recently graduated from college because, they don't know any better). You may be surprised.

Originally posted by Tubby's Best Friend

This is a paid site and such I would feel would be a little less regulated and most certainly not so strict to limit a person if they wish to discuss a topic but are unable to use correct punctuation or choose not to use correct punctuation.

TBF, the fact that this site needed "greater" regulation is precisely why it is now a “Paid” site.

I have been on BGP long enough to recall that when it was offered free of charge, it was too easy for certain parties to sign up, flame a forum or thread, get suspended, and then turn around, sign up under a different avatar, and flame away again. There was not the same sense of responsibility that a simple $10 a year seems to add to the equation.

Guru has taken a lot of flack over $10, but personally, I don’t know how he is able to justify the time and expense involved in the function of this site for such a trifling amount. It is evident, at least to me, that this site is more a reflection of his passion for High School sports and fans than a significant source of retirement funds.

I don’t see the request for better communications as a judgment upon any member's character or personal merit. I too know many wonderful people whose inability to diagram a sentence does not diminish their contributions to humanity. This has nothing to do with a desire to set our sights a bit higher in an effort to communicate more effectively.:thumb:

Originally posted by Fastbreak

By hailing nWo as "Bro" I intend to extend to him my sentiments of considering him my "brother." Anyone who might suggest that "Bro" is an inference to something less noble is simply grasping at rotten straws...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:laugh: :laugh: I love it.!

FB:

I understand the reasoning for the paid site. I have no problem with that. And I think it has achieved it's intended goal. WE are in agreement.

But the fact that you access the fee to make it a paid site, should be all the more reason to have less regulation now than when it was a free service. But regardless, as I said before, I have only a slight philosophical disagreement with the rule.

I have never had any complaint with the fee. But I will somewhat disagree with you that it could provide some significant cash flow to Guru. And before I continue, let me make it perfectly clear that I have no problem with it being a financial success for Guru or anyone else involved and furthermore hope it is. I enjoy it, as I think most of us do and I am thankful for Guru to have the love of HS athletics and the forethought to begin the site. $10 is nothing, but when you multiply that by 6030 members, which I got from the list on the site and that is $60,000. I dont know how many of these are members who paid their fees but if only a fraction paid, it still can be a good source of income. I have been in the computer business and there are lots of fees that the average Joe has no knowledge of when running a website. But there is money to be made. And I hope that it is a good source of supplemental income to Guru.

Tubby,

Since we went to the paid format I am making some money but it is nothing to write home about especially when you consider the hours I put into the site. It's not about the money for me but the extra perks the site has provided have been very rewarding.

As far as the new rule goes, we had a couple of members posting garbage and before you knew it a couple turned into about twenty. Disaster was just around the corner...

As long as everyone makes an effort there won't be any problems. For the record, grammar is one of my weakest suits but I do the best I can and that is all we are asking.

Guru:

I wish it would be successful enough for you if you chose, it could be your primary income source. What better way to make a living than to be involved in something you have a passion for. Which you obviously have for our youth and youth athletics.

I have never noticed your posts to be lacking in the english department. I am more concerned with trying to make sure I am reading and understanding what a poster is trying to convey rather than looking for correct punctuation or substandard grammer. Plus I'm not sure I would know if it was correct or not!

I like the pictures you post and have intended to take my digital camera, which I love, to the games and take some pics for the site. But I always forget. I would like to see more photos on the site. Gets you sort of in the action when you can see a photo from a game you are discussing.

I will have to say this new rule will be quite an agrivation. The format most of us who grew up on internet use is not considered "proper grammer". It was created to make your messages/post quicker to write and faster to read. As for the moderators having to read the material, I have not seen anything so poorly written that it was not understandable. Really how much easier does it make it to read if i capitalize or not?