Champion Bashing--All "A" Variety

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm reposting most of my thoughts from a response I made in another thread, as I felt that strongly this topic needed to be addressed for the sake of the PLAYER'S involved, who I know read this site!!

My original thoughts as follows:

Several comments and a thread were started by a supporter of a larger, district rival school, who was on the original Brossart/Bardstown game thread, trying to jealously diminish from the NKY schools' recent hard fought triumph in the All "A" classic; which to the roughly 120 participants is considered a state championship, regardless of who promotes it?? ....... trying to belittle 17-18 year old kids' lifelong goals & dreams in some cases; and both are very wrong, intentional or not!!

Last year the Brossart Mustangs lost in the semis to eventual champion Bardstown, and their supporters congratulated them on their win. The year before one of the finest teams in school history, lost in the finals to Hazard; and again the support and congrats were extended from the Mustang faithful. This year BB managed to work their way through one of the finest fields in recent years, defeating the defending champions, as well as the 7-time champs along the way!! The kids' reward for all their blood, sweat & tears is having to get on BGP and listen to a few (note--No Bardstown fans among them) try and belittle their accomplishments by saying "it's not a real state championship", "it's no more than another tourney", "should you have to decide to play the All "A" or the Sweet Sixteen", etc. No one is doubting that the ultimate goal of every KY basketball team on October 15th is to hold the big trophy on Saturday night at Rupp?? Everyone realizes the KHSAA recognizes one-class basketball in the state of KY, but for the smaller schools, who rarely get the opportunity to even make it to Rupp, much less lift the heavy hardware; should they have to endure bashing and belittling of their hard earned accomplishment when they win the All "A"??????

Fortunately I was in attendance at the CovCath/Scott game last night and saw one of the Brossart Mustang players, who was enthusiasticly and warmly congratulated throughout the game by both Scott and CovCath supporters & students alike. He was interviewed by CCH internet radio, and treated warmly by lifelong opponents & high school basketball fans in general; but most importantly to him, recognized as a STATE CHAMPION by all who came his way!! These are the memories I sincerely hope he takes with him through the remainder of the year, and on into graduation & life; not the jealous rants of a few "wanta-be's" and "never were's"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Mustangs--You Made Us Proud!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe I'm getting on my soapbox a little, but again I felt strongly enough and care deeply enough about the kids involved to address this matter in a new thread!! Call the All "A" what you will, but about 120 participants (roughly half of the basketball playing high schoold in the state) started a couple weeks ago in regional tourneys and culminated in a four day matchup @ EKU which determined ONE Champion (format sound familiar)!!

Argue multi-classed vs. one-classed hoops, public vs. private, size of an "A" school; but don't try to tell those boys (and the many teams before them) they aren't STATE CHAMPS!!!! :thumb:

Great post! :thumb:

People from your larger district rival school have no class to act like that or say those things. Did you ever think there might be some jealousy involved?

They will never experience what your players have accomplished through hard work and determination. Anyone who has ever been to Richmond for the All A "STATE" Tournament understands this is a great atmosphere and is a first class ran "STATE" tournament. Congratulations to the Brossart Mustangs players, coaches and fans for all working together to become the 2007 All A State Champions.

I would hope that after seventeen years of being a premiere, state-wide, spotlight tournament, participated in by roughly 119 schools annually, that the tournament would be accepted as a "State Championship" caliber tournament.

I agree 100% that the All A Classic is a "State Championship" caliber tournament but it is NOT a state championship. I am not taking away from Brossart's accomplishments, but in no way are they state champs. They are All A Classic Champs.

We need classified basketball in this state if we want to be fair to all the players involved. As a fan I like the Sweet 16 but one class basketball is a horrible system for most of the smaller schools in KY that have NO chance to win a title.

Great post! :thumb:

People from your larger district rival school have no class to act like that or say those things. Did you ever think there might be some jealousy involved?

They will never experience what your players have accomplished through hard work and determination. Anyone who has ever been to Richmond for the All A "STATE" Tournament understands this is a great atmosphere and is a first class ran "STATE" tournament. Congratulations to the Brossart Mustangs players, coaches and fans for all working together to become the 2007 All A State Champions.

:thumb: I agree with you. The atmosphere of the All A is awesome. I am from a small school and the All A regional and state is one of the best times of the year. Congratulations to Brossart and the students. This is a great accomplishment. Keep up the good work!!!:ylsuper:

I agree 100% that the All A Classic is a "State Championship" caliber tournament but it is NOT a state championship. I am not taking away from Brossart's accomplishments, but in no way are they state champs. They are All A Classic Champs.

We need classified basketball in this state if we want to be fair to all the players involved. As a fan I like the Sweet 16 but one class basketball is a horrible system for most of the smaller schools in KY that have NO chance to win a title.

:thumb:

Winning the All A is a wonderful accomplishment for any school to achieve. It takes a lot of hard work and dedication to have the honor of being the All A champs. I agree with The Guru on this one though, they are not the state champs. The true state champ will be decided later this year.

The All-A Classic is an invitational tournament that has nothing to do with the KHSAA. It is run state wide. IN ORDER to win the tournament you have to be the last team standing in the state. We in Kentucky don't have a class system for basketball, so to all of you that have a hard time calling the winner of a tournament that includes a class of schools from all over the state, STATE CHAMPS... Would it help if they called the little school classic of the less than big school classic? If you wanted to have a tournament with schools from around the state that started with "S" and call it the all "S" classic then when the last team was standing they would be the "S" state champs.

While the All "A", is not the KHSAA sanctioned State Championship, the promotion of the event, naming and referencing is Touchstone Energy All A State Tournament.

True, classing does not exist and if it did, schools across the state would have opportunities like never before, but this tournament is structured as a State Title, but only for the A programs.

District play is bypassed and Regional formats, are like the KHSAA Regions with the noticeable exception of first round byes. I understand your point and not overall State Title but if promoted as an All A State Tournament, played under that auspice, format is such and winner is crowned All A State Champion, then it should be considered a "State Title", in the All A enrollment qualifying schools.