Holmes Coaching Search...

gamer31

Has anyone heard any rumors on this job? I still think anyone that can corral the youth at Holmes has an unlimited resource of talent. If a special enough coach comes in and teaches these kids not only football but how to be special young men, this could be a juggernaut even though they're in a district that is fully loaded with Highlands and Cov Cath!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone heard any rumors on this job? I still think anyone that can corral the youth at Holmes has an unlimited resource of talent. If a special enough coach comes in and teaches these kids not only football but how to be special young men, this could be a juggernaut even though they're in a district that is fully loaded with Highlands and Cov Cath!

:thumb: I really haven't heard much on the coaching search. But I know for me that this is one of the two programs that I would love to coach at someday...

The district had the job opening listed as saying that Covington Schools would take applications until 2-2-07. Just the other day they had switched the application deadline to 2-28-07. Maybe they are not getting who they want. Maybe they (Holmes administration) is tired of Holmes being a stepping stone job. Maybe they really want someone who will make them competitive. Good Luck to the Bulldogs in 07.

Holmes is in a funny situation right now with not only athletics, but academically also. Last year they ranked 222nd out of 227 high schools on the state testing and the state has taken full control. If they hire a teacher, they have a lot to put up with all around. Football is the connection, Teaching pays the bills.

I know it is another issue but I wonder how well the state will do being in charge. It could be a case of be careful what you ask for.

You hit that right on the head:thumb: !

Teachers will have to answer to state officials walking around the halls dictating lesson plans to them constantly. You will have meetings all the time and I do not know if that will cut into football time after school or not.

You hit that right on the head:thumb: !

Teachers will have to answer to state officials walking around the halls dictating lesson plans to them constantly. You will have meetings all the time and I do not know if that will cut into football time after school or not.

That's a nightmare scenerio for a teacher/coach to enter while trying to turn around a football program.

The district is a huge problem. Hardly a chance to beat both CovCath and HHS in the same season, then beat one of them again. Or, hardly a chance to beat one of them in the regular season then beat both in the playoffs. And that's what a coach would have to do just to get out of the district.

I know it is another issue but I wonder how well the state will do being in charge. It could be a case of be careful what you ask for.

This school system is the last stop for the dead wood school employees of Northern Kentucky. Brandt has cleared out most of the good old boys in Newport, about time. Look for yourself, see all the names of the administrators involved. With all that record things should happen at Holmes but it doesn't. The superintendent of Covington has been politically active for so long he has forgot to make schools better. Personally, having strong feelings about the school I would like for the state to take it over and review all the options, including forced retirement of many administrators.

I know of two young coaches in this area that have pursued other jobs that were available that aren't going near this one. Sad for the kids at Holmes; it really is.

I hope HHS is able to find the right guy for the job and he is able to succeed where others couldn't. However, as many have pointed out, this is a nightmarish situation to be sure.

I hope HHS is able to find the right guy for the job and he is able to succeed where others couldn't. However, as many have pointed out, this is a nightmarish situation to be sure.

The right guys can make it happen. I agree that the state coming in will be a problem. BUT programs have been resurrected in Cincinnati that have been dormant for years. The kids and athletes are there, but it is going to take a complete make over. I am not saying that they are going to beat CCH or Highlands right away, but some realistic goals would be to adjust the schedule if they can and try to find some wins out there. Even if they are not meaningful wins, the kids need to "learn" how to win. Unfortunately, they have the wrong type of tradition (apathy, ineligibility, lack of support from parents, alumni and community) on their side. I wish them luck and would love to see Holmes at a more competitive level !!!

KY1234, I agree totally. There has been some Cincinnati Public Schools who have reached a state of respectability. Unfortunately, I do not see this scenario happening right away at Holmes. As of right now, they are a transit school for many. Most people do not plan to stay to stay in Covigton and call it home and make a future there due to the situation not in just the school, but the city's living standards also. I beleive there best bet is to somehow get a CPS (Cincinnati Public School) coach. This will be hard because of the pay in Ohio vs. KY

Part of the problem is NOT just the kids and the coaching, it is the leadership in the district. If you go out and walk through the hallways at Winton Woods, you will see the same types of kids with same issues - HOWEVER, shirts will be tucked in and kids will be held accountable. It might not be perfect out there, but the leadership is getting some of those bad apples out of the district. By setting higher standards and STICKING to them, you can turn some things around. BUT IF YOU ARE A COACH TRYING TO INSTILL DISCIPLINE into your program from 3 PM unti 6 PM (the time you spend with your athletes), the school is doing your program an injustice by not instilling discipline during the school hours !!!! THIS IS A TOUGH BATTLE FOR ALL COACHES! Before any school expects to have success in athletics or academics, they better begin to focus on the CHARACTER of these kids. Let's face it, this school is SINKING in all areas - and the school is not going to go bankrupt or disappear like a business - so let's get some leadership.

Part of the problem is NOT just the kids and the coaching, it is the leadership in the district. If you go out and walk through the hallways at Winton Woods, you will see the same types of kids with same issues - HOWEVER, shirts will be tucked in and kids will be held accountable. It might not be perfect out there, but the leadership is getting some of those bad apples out of the district. By setting higher standards and STICKING to them, you can turn some things around. BUT IF YOU ARE A COACH TRYING TO INSTILL DISCIPLINE into your program from 3 PM unti 6 PM (the time you spend with your athletes), the school is doing your program an injustice by not instilling discipline during the school hours !!!! THIS IS A TOUGH BATTLE FOR ALL COACHES! Before any school expects to have success in athletics or academics, they better begin to focus on the CHARACTER of these kids. Let's face it, this school is SINKING in all areas - and the school is not going to go bankrupt or disappear like a business - so let's get some leadership.

Easier said than done. You have to win the war at home also with a lot of these kids, that is the first place for direction that any kid gets. Administrators and teachers can only take this so far. I am willing to bet that there a lot of great teachers/adminstrators in the school and they truley care about the kids and will do anything for them, but can only do so much. It is going to take everybody involved in order to get the ball rolling on this one!