Who Is The Kentucky Coach Next Season?

I believe universities, in general, are in a weird spot. You have a diminishing product (college bball) with some ridiculous salaries. Who knows what college hoops will look like in five years, or if it will even exist as we know it today?

• Like 4

Just now, bugatti said:

I believe universities, in general, are in a weird spot. You have a diminishing product (college bball) with some ridiculous salaries. Who knows what college hoops will look like in five years, or if it will even exist as we know it today?

This.

I wondered how fast this thread was going to start.

its funny because all day I was watching games and wondering: “Would this coach be a good fit for UK?”

I REALLY like Coach McDermott from Creighton….. but I don’t think Mitch is calling Frank for his opinion….. BUT if he did……

I know many UK fans don’t want to hear it but I think Cal remains. And I’m in agreement with college basketball being like it never has and the change is going to happen more. If we are being realistically honest, the coaching talent pool just isn’t what it once was. And if it was, I don’t know what good it would do overall between the majority of changes that have happened along with what’s still to come. 

27 minutes ago, FrankNicodemus said:

I wondered how fast this thread was going to start.

its funny because all day I was watching games and wondering: “Would this coach be a good fit for UK?”

I REALLY like Coach McDermott from Creighton….. but I don’t think Mitch is calling Frank for his opinion….. BUT if he did……

McDermott recruits players and develops them for the long haul. UK fans wouldn't but that now. Some guys don't want the headache of a UK fan base. I think he's happy there with no football. He's king of the hill and they like the Big East.

It will probably be Cal. However, if it’s not him. These are guys I would try to get. 

Billy Donovan

Jay Wright 

Brad Stevens

Bruce Pearl

Rick Pitino (if they want a guy for 2 to 3 years before having to look again)

With that said I’m not sure how realistic those choices would be. Also Dan Hurley and Mark Few wouldn’t leave their schools. So if I had to guess the next coach at UK if they move on from Cal will be Tom Izzo. I see them playing it sort of safe with the next hire after missing out on the guys above, and then Izzo will fit right in with the normal coaching cycle for UK in its history. Unless we want to count these last 8 years for Cal count as theTubby/Hall years. Then the next coach in the UK cycle will be an alcoholic like Sutton/Billy G. So need to figure out which coaches like to drink, and we then will know who our guy would be.