Who Is The Kentucky Coach Next Season?

11 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

The only name shared so far that interests me is Jay Wright.

What's ironic is that Jay Wright was the poster child for early flameouts in the NCAA tournament until he finally broke through. Bill Self before him. Now, Calipari is on the front cover of "Early Flameout" magazine.

1 hour ago, Jumper_Dad said:

Pearl would be the only one that would consider it.

I agree. I just don’t know if he’d actually take it. He’s got it pretty good at Auburn. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Breds82 said:

Cal will be the coach next year. His ego is to big and it’s obvious he so insecure he’s using a bullying tactic to the fans and the media, thus he’ll come back just to be make us mad. I don’t know why UK fans continue go to Nashville all week just “hoping” UK will make it to Sunday because they know their coach doesn’t even care about the first game. I’ve been over Cal for a long time and it’s how talks about us fans first then his terrible in game coaching (or lack there of) second. 

Donovan is not coming to UK I don’t know why you all keep dropping that name. He’s getting paid a lot of money to do less work with less headaches.

Here is the thing about the college game. With NIL and the transfer portal, the days of college coaches having to travel all the time to recruit high school players is not as big of a thing. Coaches now don’t have to travel as much, because they can hit the portal. Plus the college season is a lot shorter than the long grind of a much to long NBA season. Plus college basketball is like the NBA in a way with money and roster changes. If the money is right, I don’t think it would be much more headache except for dealing with our crazy UK fanbase lol. 

1 hour ago, TribeTime said:

Pearl would crawl to Lexington for the job. I’ll throw another one out there, Shaka Smart. 

No on Smart. He been at a big program and failed. Some coaches just fit better at good college programs but not the big time ones. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 9068 said:

I can think of about 33.7 million reasons that it's John Calipari. Guys like Donovan, Wright, and Stevens don't want to deal with NIL and the Portal.

The NIL and the portal is not much different than what the NBA is in regards to free agency and contracts. Plus college is a lot shorter of a season, and don’t even have to travel as much for recruiting since can hit the transfer portal. 

16 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

The NIL and the portal is not much different than what the NBA is in regards to free agency and contracts. Plus college is a lot shorter of a season, and don’t even have to travel as much for recruiting since can hit the transfer portal. 

I know you’ve said this before, but I’m not seeing the parallel and think you’re discounting the travel demands of the coach and staff. Coaches are not GMs. College is now filled with a lot more uncertainty.

18 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

The only name shared so far that interests me is Jay Wright.

Pretty sure he got out because he didn't want to deal with NIL and the portal.  So unless he REALLY misses coaching, I don't see him back at it.   Especially in a place where every breath is over scrutinized.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Breds82 said:

Cal will be the coach next year. His ego is to big and it’s obvious he so insecure he’s using a bullying tactic to the fans and the media, thus he’ll come back just to be make us mad. I don’t know why UK fans continue go to Nashville all week just “hoping” UK will make it to Sunday because they know their coach doesn’t even care about the first game. I’ve been over Cal for a long time and it’s how talks about us fans first then his terrible in game coaching (or lack there of) second. 

Donovan is not coming to UK I don’t know why you all keep dropping that name. He’s getting paid a lot of money to do less work with less headaches.

Uh, you better look a little closer, Cal is making A LOT more money than Donovan, around 3 million more in just salary alone then add in endorsements/shows, probably closer to at least 4 mil more per year, I’m sure UK would match that for him

less work???  Half the games, half the length of the season, less travel, home more

less headaches???  Coaching overpaid divas that have more power than you do and can get you fired

I’d ABSOLUTELY give it a shot!!!

1 hour ago, Tranquility Base said:

Pretty sure he got out because he didn't want to deal with NIL and the portal.  So unless he REALLY misses coaching, I don't see him back at it.   Especially in a place where every breath is over scrutinized.

Jay has it way too good right now and would be crazy to sign up for the scrutiny of coaching at UK. Plus he's an East Coast guy. He'd be the first call I'd make if I was AD at UK. But you better have the next couple calls lined up because I think Wright says no pretty quickly.

6 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

Jay has it way too good right now and would be crazy to sign up for the scrutiny of coaching at UK. Plus he's an East Coast guy. He'd be the first call I'd make if I was AD at UK. But you better have the next couple calls lined up because I think Wright says no pretty quickly.

I heard from a local lawyer that his wife is one of the best trial attorneys in the Philadelphia area.    Thus, probably  reluctant to relocate to Fayette County.

Personally I love Nate Oats. His style of play and swagger are perfect for Kentucky but with his past, I doubt Mitch considers him. 

If Cal is gone, expect Scott Drew. 

Just got this from my buddies in Lexington:

Michigan wants Cal REALLY bad and is going to come after him hard

The buyout does NOT have to be payed out in a lump sum, it can be payed over multiple years AND, obviously, if Cal takes another job the buyout stops

Come on down Billy D!!!

1 hour ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

Uh, you better look a little closer, Cal is making A LOT more money than Donovan, around 3 million more in just salary alone then add in endorsements/shows, probably closer to at least 4 mil more per year, I’m sure UK would match that for him

less work???  Half the games, half the length of the season, less travel, home more

less headaches???  Coaching overpaid divas that have more power than you do and can get you fired

That may be college basketball in 24 months, if not less.

1 hour ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

Not arguing with you. We usually see eye to eye. My question is , if It was that cut and dry wouldn’t Donovan have been back in college already?