Who Is The Kentucky Coach Next Season?

36 minutes ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

Just got this from my buddies in Lexington:

Michigan wants Cal REALLY bad and is going to come after him hard

The buyout does NOT have to be payed out in a lump sum, it can be payed over multiple years AND, obviously, if Cal takes another job the buyout stops

Come on down Billy D!!!

This REALLY sounds swell and all but Cal isn't gonna leave Lex for Michigan.

I would suspect that if NOTHING happens in the coming weeks then nothing will happen at all.

12 minutes ago, Breds82 said:

Not arguing with you. We usually see eye to eye. My question is , if It was that cut and dry wouldn’t Donovan have been back in college already?

Didn’t take it that way, we’re good

only college that pays more than UK is Kansas, that amount of money would be hard to pass up, especially coming to a place he already knows

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, All State Baseball said:

This REALLY sounds swell and all but Cal isn't gonna leave Lex for Michigan.

I would suspect that if NOTHING happens in the coming weeks then nothing will happen at all.

Since the buyout can be paid in multiple years he may not have a choice 

I just watched Cowherd segment.  What I take away after watching it is that under-achieving is survivable.  However, becoming an object of ridicule at the national level likely is not.   At least not survivable in the longer term.  The used-car and snake-oil salesman label is now at a national level.  And its not just Cowherd.  Other media or talking heads have shown they are now openly critical. 

Barnhart not taking any questions is a data point that likely indicates he knows he has to look at all options.  Did he have a plan for this scenario?  Does he trying to make a quick move to maybe steal a potential candidate from Louisville?  Can that move happen that quick? 

It is hard see a knee-jerk firing with out a back-fill identified and named.  Being in the same situation as your in-state rival at this point is not a good path.  So it is more likely that Calipari stays head coach one more year. 

34 minutes ago, Bluegrasscard said:

I just watched Cowherd segment.  What I take away after watching it is that under-achieving is survivable.  However, becoming an object of ridicule at the national level likely is not.   At least not survivable in the longer term.  The used-car and snake-oil salesman label is now at a national level.  And its not just Cowherd.  Other media or talking heads have shown they are now openly critical. 

Barnhart not taking any questions is a data point that likely indicates he knows he has to look at all options.  Did he have a plan for this scenario?  Does he trying to make a quick move to maybe steal a potential candidate from Louisville?  Can that move happen that quick? 

It is hard see a knee-jerk firing with out a back-fill identified and named.  Being in the same situation as your in-state rival at this point is not a good path.  So it is more likely that Calipari stays head coach one more year. 

Honestly unless UK knows they can get one of the top guys mentioned, that many think they can’t get. Then I do agree that Cal probably will be back. It is hard to move on, unless you know for sure you can get a guy better than him, but also a guy that can handle all the other things that come with this job. 

I don’t think they probably have had this talk before. I do think you talk to Cal and be straight forward and say you literally must get this back on track next year and make a run, or else we are moving on. Cal at that point may decide to just leave, or maybe that lights a fire under him and does get him to turn things around. 

1 hour ago, All State Baseball said:

So you think that if Michigan comes calling and offers him an x amount of money, that he's gonna be forced to take it?

Not exactly, I’m saying if Barnhart says we’re gonna pay the buyout over 10 years, (or whatever the years) he’s not gonna sit around and not coach for 10 years, he’s gonna coach somewhere 

26 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

Honestly unless UK knows they can get one of the top guys mentioned, that many think they can’t get. Then I do agree that Cal probably will be back. It is hard to move on, unless you know for sure you can get a guy better than him, but also a guy that can handle all the other things that come with this job. 

I don’t think they probably have had this talk before. I do think you talk to Cal and be straight forward and say you literally must get this back on track next year and make a run, or else we are moving on. Cal at that point may decide to just leave, or maybe that lights a fire under him and does get him to turn things around. 

2 really good posts back to back right here!!

Cowherd is now calling him John Caliponzi

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you didn’t get to listen to KSR yesterday, Matt Jones basically said what he’s been holding in for years. Some highlights:

* Cal and Mitch have no relationship. 
*People in the athletic department are scared of Cal because of how he goes off on people and wants things only his way. 
* They have basically made the basketball program on an island from the rest of athletics and the university. 
* Cal has no relationship with the biggest UK donors and media members. 
* Cal acts like the program began when he got here and nothing mattered before that. 

If all of that is true, and he is losing the way he is. Then it is time for a split and if the split occurs, you will see the program make a massive change for the better with things off the floor as well. 

1 hour ago, TribeTime said:

If you didn’t get to listen to KSR yesterday, Matt Jones basically said what he’s been holding in for years. Some highlights:

*People in the athletic department are scared of Cal because of how he goes off on people and wants things only his way. 
* They have basically made the basketball program on an island from the rest of athletics and the university. 
* Cal acts like the program began when he got here and nothing mattered before that. 

If all of that is true, and he is losing the way he is. Then it is time for a split and if the split occurs, you will see the program make a massive change for the better with things off the floor as well. 

I’m gonna say it’s all true because I’ve been told all those things by someone who is really close to the athletic department 

1 hour ago, TribeTime said:

I am not defending the behavior, but what exactly is breaking news here? Maybe the relationship with the donors and media members, but I’m not sure what that really means.

On a somewhat personal story side, my wife’s friend’s dad in Frankfort was recently diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor. I can’t think these people are big donors, but maybe fans. Anyways, he received a letter on Monday from Calipari wishing him well with his battle. He passed a couple days ago. I get he probably didn’t write the letter and probably just signed it, but that’s really cool.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bugatti said:

What's ironic is that Jay Wright was the poster child for early flameouts in the NCAA tournament until he finally broke through. Bill Self before him. Now, Calipari is on the front cover of "Early Flameout" magazine.

And before that Lute Olson and Arizona.