Open Job: Warren Central

Coach Mark Nelson stepping down after 3 seasons with the Dragons, compiling a 6-25 record. Though the results may not be in the win column I have to applaud the effort, the 2022 club had some life about them and those 5 wins that year are the most wins since a 6 win 2014 season.  A once well respected program hanging on by a thread, as a Bowling Green native I’m unsure the route they plan on going but I wish the best to whoever takes over that role.
I’ve commented football in the state of KY is better when Tilghman and Hopkinsville are competitive, Warren Central falls in that category for me as well.

• Like 6

Man, hate to hear of this.  I respect Coach Nelson alot.  He had the Dragons playing with some zip and trending up IMO.  The edict to make it mandatory that no teams play up or down classification-wise really kills Warren Central.

They just are not ready to be back in 5A District 2 yet.  But I foresee that playing out sooner than later.  

Just a really tough spot when speaking about football.  Best of luck to whomever the next Coach might be.

Really feel WC got the short end of the stick in many things athletic in Warren County.  But just hope the best for them in their selection of a new coach.

• Like 2

@Purple88 surely South Warren will go to 6A, and who’s to say getting beat by the Purples and competing with Greenwood and Ohio County for a home playoff game is a bad reality. 

I agree the Dragons did indeed get the short end of the stick across Warren County, but another factor is a lot of immigrants have began to call the wonderful city of Bowling Green home in the past decade and it just so happens to flood their lines of the district. The boys soccer team has competed for 2 of the last 3 region championships and the basketball team is the defending state champions. Athletes in the school, no one can tell me otherwise, and Coach Nelson had solid numbers for a 5A school. Tough job but if the right individual was able to weather the storm  for an extended period of time I have to believe it would pay off in the long haul.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Purple88 said:

Man, hate to hear of this.  I respect Coach Nelson alot.  He had the Dragons playing with some zip and trending up IMO.  The edict to make it mandatory that no teams play up or down classification-wise really kills Warren Central.

They just are not ready to be back in 5A District 2 yet.  But I foresee that playing out sooner than later.  

Just a really tough spot when speaking about football.  Best of luck to whomever the next Coach might be.

Really feel WC got the short end of the stick in many things athletic in Warren County.  But just hope the best for them in their selection of a new coach.

The overall enrollment numbers for 2023-24 are out, but they haven't published the male only enrollments yet.  But Central grew in enrollment by around 70 students.  Considering they were already in-line for 5A the last alignment, I imagine it cinches that they'll be 5A starting in 2025.  South Warren will at least be up in 6A, so that'll help.

• Like 1

I understand this was the plan for Nelly… 3-4 yrs and done. He really has done a remarkable job there, all things considered. WC has become a horribly tough, tough place to win at. 

• Like 2

On 1/29/2024 at 5:03 PM, DearToday said:

Would like to see Tyreon Clark apply for this and get it. 

I would say Tyreon Clark would be a great candidate to join staff for anyone. He has a strong background of building programs and has been great with youth all the way around.

I’d hate to see WC pass on him again, he’s done a great job rebuilding and branding the middle school program, while still leading on the high school staff from Fowler to Nelson.

I am sure Nelson has been preparing to pass the torch to him. He has been under a great coaching tree that was previously with Kevin Wallace & Mark Spader at BG. 

WC will do their kids an injustice if they don’t lock him in. He knows the kids and knows the community!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, new_light said:

I would say Tyreon Clark would be a great candidate to join staff for anyone. He has a strong background of building programs and has been great with youth all the way around.

I’d hate to see WC pass on him again, he’s done a great job rebuilding and branding the middle school program, while still leading on the high school staff from Fowler to Nelson.

I am sure Nelson has been preparing to pass the torch to him. He has been under a great coaching tree that was previously with Kevin Wallace & Mark Spader at BG. 

WC will do their kids an injustice if they don’t lock him in. He knows the kids and knows the community!

I would guess if they pass on him again, they won’t have a chance to do it again after that point. 

• Like 1

In my humble opinion WC is the poster child of how education is not always fair and equitable. So many times we see schools put in this situation. I don't have the answer but it is obvious something was done that destroyed in many ways what once was a proud school. That is not a knock against the current students or admin. But something changed. It has not been poor coaching that put them in their current status. 

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2024 at 2:42 PM, Coach Preston said:

In my humble opinion WC is the poster child of how education is not always fair and equitable. So many times we see schools put in this situation. I don't have the answer but it is obvious something was done that destroyed in many ways what once was a proud school. That is not a knock against the current students or admin. But something changed. It has not been poor coaching that put them in their current status. 

Agreed. Building South Warren gutted Warren Central to the core. Not only has it had a impact on athletics in general, but academics have suffered as well.

Warren Central mens basketball and soccer programs has been able to weather the storm.

Football, Women’s Soccer, women’s basketball, Baseball and Softball all have suffered over the years.

But don’t count the Dragons out yet. Coach Hickey the current athletic director and women’s basketball coach will continue to build on the foundation.

As far out as it seems, Warren Central boys basketball are the 2023 KHSAA state champs and have been able to collect athletes from the area to compete at a high level. If those athletes return to the field like Lionell Dewalt, Brock Whitney, Bryson Hall and Leroy Wilson to name a few of past dual sport athletes. Things will change sooner than later. 

Also, add in the recent Women’s Basketball victory over BGHS, the first in 17 years..

The stage for the next football coach to step in to a changing environment.

Warren Central is on the rise again. With this hire, they will continue to thrive and grow their respective teams to compete with the best.

If and when, Warren Central Football returns to competitive football, BG, WE, GW & SW will quickly find themselves in a competitive battle to keep their kids at home. 

The community of Bowling Green is better, when Warren Central football is competing at a high level. 

4 hours ago, new_light said:

Agreed. Building South Warren gutted Warren Central to the core. Not only has it had a impact on athletics in general, but academics have suffered as well.

It wasn’t just Warren Central, it was the entire Warren County School District that was ransacked. Greenwood lost a lot of talent that walked the halls, on top of community support which the Dragons saw go out the door as well. However their school wasn’t built for the students they had enrolled prior to South Warren being built, yet they still hold their high academic standards and have one of the better public schools in the state of Kentucky.

Warren East and Warren Central on the other hand in capacity terms were steady and they still are, but the school buildings themselves were in terrible condition. For example, there would be trash cans in the classrooms catching rain water from the leaking roof. As far as academics Warren Central nor Warren East has ever been noted as high quality academic institutions.

To this day it still sits wrong with me that a brand new school was built before the proper renovations were made to the schools that were in session. They have since been renovated but that was after 10+ years of horrendous conditions, clearly a display to the community where the attention is and is not, very disappointing for the kids because all in all that’s who it is all about.