What in the past would blow up Social Media?

I was thinking the other day about how quickly social media can explode when something big happens.  Thousands and thousands of opinions ranging from obscurity/anonymity to people we all know and trust.  I then thought how we all had to wait for the newspaper the next day to read reactions and that was only from a chose few writers and people we know who were there.  So I thought I would start a conversation about things we all experienced pre-social media that would have brought the internet to it's knees.  The first one I thought of was the year I fell in love with HS basketball when my soon to be Holy Cross Indians had one of the state favorites on the ropes down 14 with 3 minutes to go in the semi's of the districts, only to have the Bulldogs rip my heart out.  I then went to Freedom Hall for the state finals and rooted for those same Holmes Bulldogs.  Charles Hurt, after the original Laettner Shot to send the game to OT, then went on to put his hand through the net to stop a would be Holmes bucket and Shelby Co was later crowned State Champs.  What say you?  What else makes the list of viral boys basketball moments?

image.png.ed2eeb451cf27be2acb909f92bb64a2b.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The 1928 state championship game between Carr Creek and Ashland. Ashland won 13-11 in four overtimes in a time when basketball overtime was sudden death. The takes (and KHSAA blame!) about that overtime setup would have been apoplectic during that game!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, theguru said:

I think the 1994 Class 1A State Football Championship would have blown up on social media.

1994.jpg

As I have said before, I was standing right outside of the end zone with assistant commissioner Larry Boucher when that play unfolded. I was waiting to go get ready to officiate the second game. You are absolutely correct Guru. I could write a long article about what happened, the pre game with the commissioners, conversations with KSP, but above all the phone call at midnight from my late dad, and the two phone calls from my sons at college at about 7 am the next morning.

• Like 1

I think the Charles Hurt no goal tending call now days would really hit social media, what some folks don't know is the following year, Holmes was to have that same official, Coach Flynn refused to play if he was officiating, so they let one of the jv officials stay and work the game. 

• Like 4

The PRP semifinals win over Hazard in 1986 State Tournament was extremely controversial. It appeared the officials missed several obvious fouls on PRP late in the game and other odd decisions that swung the game to the Panthers. The crowd stood and booed and covered the court with debris for 30 minutes post game. The Lexington Herald -Leader received so many letters to the editor for the next several weeks from irate Hazard fans complaining about the game that they finally issued a statement in their newspaper requesting no more letters be sent. 

• Like 3

I've got two more:  The Simon Kenton gas explosion at the school, students having to attend Scott HS in the evenings which was only a couple years old and then SK subsequent state championship, the 9th Region's first.

Scott Draud going for 69 against the Holmes Bulldogs which is still a 9th Region record and should probably never be broken.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 859Radio said:

Scott Draud going for 69 against the Holmes Bulldogs which is still a 9th Region record and should probably never be broken.

Mike Fessler from Cov Cath going for 50 against Dixie in 1962...I believe that was the 9th Region record for a time.

Earlington's last-second shot to win the 1967 state championship over Cov Cath. They threw an inbound bomb from under their basket with about 3 seconds remaining, turned and took a long field goal, and then threw in a quick put-back at the buzzer from three feet away when the field goal missed. Won 53-52.

EBk3rgB.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 859Radio said:

I've got two more:  The Simon Kenton gas explosion at the school, students having to attend Scott HS in the evenings which was only a couple years old and then SK subsequent state championship, the 9th Region's first.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that a year or two before the three point goal, also he did it against a decent Holmes team.