Open Job: Scott

Brcatz

Regardless of who the coach is or who started the trend at Scott of keeping everyone, it needs to end.

1 or 2, sure. Need someone on the inside who knows the players, and if HC is out of towner, knows the community. 

But the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. 

If you are a serious head coach, you should know before you take a job at least a few guys that will come with you, regardless of how many teacher spots are open. If you don’t, and haven’t thought about that before, or have no one to bring a) you are in for a world of hurt b) you aren’t serious about the role you are about to find yourself in c) people don’t like you LOL! 

• Like 1

On 1/7/2024 at 5:15 PM, BBHCEAGLE said:

After seeing a few games the past few years. You would think Mr. Fisk would clean house this time. After seeing the coaching staff. Some are holdovers from as far back as Woolley being the Head Coach. Maybe the biggest problem is the culture carrying over year to year? Clearing house may get some new excitement in the locker room and program.

Assistant coaches are not any easier to come by than head coaches these days. If you look at programs from the 50s and 60s, most had a head coach and one or two assistants. Maybe three or four if they were lucky. Then staffs started to get bigger in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. Most successful programs these days still maintain a bevy of assistants, and that could get you into a real chicken or the egg discussion. But the fact is, small and/or struggling programs struggle to get assistant coaches. My guess is that Casey decided to hold tight and let the new coaches he's hired decide whether or not they were going to clean house and bring in their own new coaching staff. And also guessing, I'd have to say that the new coaches worked with what they were offered on-hand because it's so tough to come by new assistant coaches these days.

A good AD doesn't usually mandate who is or isn't the best suited for any program's assistant coaching staff, assuming there isn't anyone among them who's a major problem with the kids on the team or within the school. That's left up to the head coach. (See my comments in the Beechwood Coach B thread.) As was stated above, if Coach Turner didn't get rid of problematic assistants during his four years at Scott, then that's on him. If Casey wasn't allowing him to let assistants go, I would have to assume that Eric would have been the one deciding to leave the Scott job rather than Casey deciding that Eric needed to leave. And word about town with Coach Turner was that he had a lot of difficulty getting along with his players in his latter two years, and that bubbled up into trouble with assistants who felt like he needed to change his approach with his players. After that really came to during Turner's 4th season, as AD, Casey had to pull the plug on Turner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheConch said:

Regardless of who the coach is or who started the trend at Scott of keeping everyone, it needs to end.

1 or 2, sure. Need someone on the inside who knows the players, and if HC is out of towner, knows the community. 

But the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. 

If you are a serious head coach, you should know before you take a job at least a few guys that will come with you, regardless of how many teacher spots are open. If you don’t, and haven’t thought about that before, or have no one to bring a) you are in for a world of hurt b) you aren’t serious about the role you are about to find yourself in c) people don’t like you LOL! 

I can say this about the Scott assistants. A few of them have been there a long time, and eat, breathe and sleep Scott football. The guys that are newer, are also very dedicated to the program. It's not a bunch of knuckleheads that know nothing about football or are just going through the motions to collect some spare change and gear to wear.  And all of them probably could have left for greener pastures if they didn't want to be there. A couple actually did, and came back after Turner left (take that for what you will).  I'd also say if Bill Belichick got the Scott job tomorrow, he'd end up keeping more than a few of those guys. If you're putting a staff together it's not a bad thing to have guys who know football, are connected to the community and are already dedicated to the program, especially when coaches are really hard to come by. That being said, I would expect the new HC would have a couple guys of his own to bring aboard.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

I can say this about the Scott assistants. A few of them have been there a long time, and eat, breathe and sleep Scott football. The guys that are newer, are also very dedicated to the program. It's not a bunch of knuckleheads that know nothing about football or are just going through the motions to collect some spare change and gear to wear.  And all of them probably could have left for greener pastures if they didn't want to be there. A couple actually did, and came back after Turner left (take that for what you will).  I'd also say if Bill Belichick got the Scott job tomorrow, he'd end up keeping more than a few of those guys. If you're putting a staff together it's not a bad thing to have guys who know football, are connected to the community and are already dedicated to the program, especially when coaches are really hard to come by. That being said, I would expect the new HC would have a couple guys of his own to bring aboard.

Truthfully, If I’m Scott, I’m calling Belichick and Saban just to gauge their interest. 

• Haha 2

On 1/11/2024 at 6:22 PM, rjs4470 said:

I understand they have dedication and am sure almost all of them are great guys and great at what they do. My thought is if it hasn't worked so far, then you have to clean house. Countinuly having staff carry over HC to HC, bringing the same culture every year. It won't change the results after all this time. 

I just pray they have a solid plan! Off season-wise they are getting to the important part of it. With No hire

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BBHCEAGLE said:

I understand they have dedication and am sure almost all of them are great guys and great at what they do. My thought is if it hasn't worked so far, then you have to clean house. Countinuly having staff carry over HC to HC, bringing the same culture every year. It won't change the results after all this time. 

I just pray they have a solid plan! Off season-wise they are getting to the important part of it. With No hire

I hear what you're saying. But the HC sets the culture. The assistants should be part of the culture, not the ones setting it. Obviously, if the assistants aren't doing their part, they need to move on. And it's up to the HC to either get the assistants on board or to get guys in there that are. Personally, I believe the current assistants  CAN be effective, and aren't necessarily the reason Scott has struggled recently.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ken Morgan said:

Bob Black is the answer.

I think if he was the answer this thread wouldn’t be 8 pages long. Fact is, he’s not.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ken Morgan said:

Bob Black is the answer.

I would think Coach Black is happy where he is. I believe he left the HS ranks because of the 7 day a week grind. 

Although I think he would be pleased with your endorsement. As someone stated above. Have you put your application in?

• Like 1