Open Job: Scott

Brcatz

1 hour ago, Pi said:

Academically and Athletically. I don't think this is a point in time anyone in Taylor Mill wants to remember.

Sure. The building is getting a facelift. But, there is not a lot of positivity on Pride Parkway right now.

Let's not throw all of the schools athletics into one. Many programs at Scott are successful. And as far as academics go there is little difference between all Kenton County schools with some having higher scores than others in specific areas. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, theguru said:

Can we agree on a low point?

Scott has made 3 region finals since 2015. Take away this year and the COVID year, I'd say this has been the best 10-year run Scott has ever had. Granted, they've played in a weak district and were only serious contenders to make a state final once (The year they lost to Johnson Central on the last play of the game). Their middle school numbers have been very good (nearly 60) the last two years and have a pretty good 8th grade group coming up. The big issue is their new district. No matter how much talent they have, it's going to be tough to even finish 2nd or 3rd. While it wasn't all that long ago that Scott was beating Dixie, Dixie seems to be on the rise. I think they've only beaten Cooper once or twice, they've only beaten Connor once (although there have been some competitive games) and they've never beaten Highlands. Playing for 4th every year is going to make deep playoff runs tough. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Pi said:

Academically and Athletically. I don't think this is a point in time anyone in Taylor Mill wants to remember.

Sure. The building is getting a facelift. But, there is not a lot of positivity on Pride Parkway right now.

I don’t think anyone at a KCSD HS would want to remember last year as the School Report Card were released today with Scott and Simon Kenton being rated a Yellow (third lowest tier) and Dixie being rated Orange (second lowest tier) 

https://www.kenton.kyschools.us/all-kcsd-news/post-detail/~board/kenton-county-school-district/post/kde-release-2022-23-school-report-card-data

As for athletics, Scott moving to 5A hurts tremendously for football. But the athletic department has had their fair share of success within the past decade including the football team in 4A. 

8 minutes ago, I gotta go to work said:

Let's not throw all of the schools athletics into one. Many programs at Scott are successful. And as far as academics go there is little difference between all Kenton County schools with some having higher scores than others in specific areas. 

Academically, Scott isn't awful, and has some very good programs, and top flight students that get into very good schools.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Chip said:

I don’t think anyone at a KCSD HS would want to remember last year as the School Report Card were released today with Scott and Simon Kenton being rated a Yellow (third lowest tier) and Dixie being rated Orange (second lowest tier) 

https://www.kenton.kyschools.us/all-kcsd-news/post-detail/~board/kenton-county-school-district/post/kde-release-2022-23-school-report-card-data

As for athletics, Scott moving to 5A hurts tremendously for football. But the athletic department has had their fair share of success within the past decade including the football team in 4A. 

This would be a topic in another thread but nearly every large school in Northern Kentucky was Yellow (Campbell, Cooper, Conner, Boone, Scott, SK) 

12 minutes ago, I gotta go to work said:

This would be a topic in another thread but nearly every large school in Northern Kentucky was Yellow (Campbell, Cooper, Conner, Boone, Scott, SK) 

So you’re telling me it’s not just a Scott thing…right? 

1 hour ago, 9068 said:

That district has three schools playing football and two have been more successful. Can't blame the district leadership. Check their facilities. They have struggled to be highly competitive since their inception.

It’s not necessarily a district thing as much as an in building thing. The top people have to make an investment. Also just because schools are in the same district doesn’t mean it’s a priority or that things are equal. 

• theguru changed the title to Open Job: Scott

I was really confused by this entire coaching situation all season. After coach Owens left, I was told several coaches already on staff voiced their interest in the Head Coaching job. Yet, they went outside and hired a friend of the AD who had not had any contact with the players or coaches before the day he was brought in to take over. And from what I understand, it was made clear this was just a one year thing for Hensley from the start. So the question has to be asked, why would anyone want to walk into that kind of environment, unless they are already invest in those kids and community. The school and Athletic Department would seem to have really put these athletes behind the 8 ball already by the choices made in the hiring process this past summer. So IMO, I would think it'd be in the best interest to see if they can't retain one of those coaches previously interested in the HC position.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Chip said:

There's entirely too many factors that go into these test scores that are all outside the school's control.  I wouldn't put too much stock into these test scores.  If they were so good, then the private schools would be forced to use the same ratings systems.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, New Colonel said:

There's entirely too many factors that go into these test scores that are all outside the school's control.  I wouldn't put too much stock into these test scores.  If they were so good, then the private schools would be forced to use the same ratings systems.

That’s fair.

I think we all can agree then that they all need improvement and it’s not just a singular schools problem that a lot of people think it is. 

• Like 1

Off topic a little but how many people who look or point at test scores have ever even seen the test? Like others have said there also a lot of other factors that go into testing. 

I believe before this season started Scott was still looking for principal positions. Unstable at the top makes things difficult. 

It appears as time has gone on people have much less of an idea of what it truly takes to become and stay a successful football program. If you look at the top programs and see the support they get in school schedule, financial resources (be it school or boosters), administration (building and district) and demographics you can see why there is such a gap between many programs. I’m not sure why fans feel HS football is either like college or just so easy to do certain things. I’d say the average fan doesn’t know the cost to have a game, equipment, maintenance or other limitations/obstacles programs have. Heck I feel a lot forget you’re dealing with 14-19 year old kids. 

• Like 7

Since I kinda got the train of the tracks…I’m going to do my best to get it back on! 

Went thru and read the old post and took some names that people mentioned that sounded interesting and would like to hear others opinion.

Joe Wynn- Current HC at Mason Co 

Alex Shelton- Current Special Teams Coordinator/DB Coach at Cov Cath 

Bob Black- Has been involved with Scott Football since it’s inception and Current Woodland Coach 

Terry Durstock- Current Special Teams Coordinator at Scott

Matt Luken- Current O-Line Coach at Scott

The last three have been involved in the TM Eagles, Woodland, and Scott programs.

Another name I saw on that list was Dan Woolley…don’t know if he comes back or not but he did have success at Scott.

Obviously if you can get a Noel Rash or Jeff Marksberry…that’s a home run! 

• Like 1

No way Woolley comes back. 

I would also add Perrin to the list. He went after it last year and will again I am assuming. 

Personally, I think Nelson P or Joe Wynn are the best choices (outside of Rash and Marksberry, neither of which apply) I don’t think Black or Durstock have “it” 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1