Open Job: Scott

Brcatz

1 hour ago, theguru said:

Do you or anyone have any idea on the numbers?

5A is a non-starter for Scott, and 4A if CCH is still in 4A, isn't very promising either.

A couple weeks ago I looked at schools current enrollment numbers, and compared that to the realignment cutoffs from last time. If the cutoffs are similar to last time in regards to schools enrollments. Then very well could see Highlands back down to 4A with CovCath, snd  Dixie back to 6A. With Cooper and Conner still barely being able to stay in 5A. So could end up being a 5A district of Cooper, Conner, Scott, and Boone with this next realignment. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BigTuna6 said:

I think this could be an interesting job. Right now it’s brutal being in 5A but if there’s a chance they could eventually move back down to 4A this could be a good fit for someone. 

I'm pretty sure 4A is in the rear view mirror for Scott. With all the building expansion that's been going on the last few years and Dixie and SK at capacity, Kenton County schools will redistrict at some point, which means Scott will only get more students. They tried redistricting a few years ago and backed off, but it will be happening at some point in time whether people like it or not. The problem is there are still many who won't send their kids to Scott to play football based on how bad Scott was for most of it's existence, even with some of their recent success. So unless KCSD backs off of open enrollment, football is going to be tough sledding in the 5A district they are in, and even making the playoffs is going to be difficult in an average year.

• Like 1

Just now, rjs4470 said:

I'm pretty sure 4A is in the rear view mirror for Scott. With all the building expansion that's been going on the last few years and Dixie and SK at capacity, Kenton County schools will redistrict at some point, which means Scott will only get more students. They tried redistricting a few years ago and backed off, but it will be happening at some point in time whether people like it or not. The problem is there are still many who won't send their kids to Scott to play football based on how bad Scott was for most of it's existence, even with some of their recent success. So unless KCSD backs off of open enrollment, football is going to be tough sledding in the 5A district they are in, and even making the playoffs is going to be difficult in an average year.

Why would any quality coach want the Scott job?

1 minute ago, theguru said:

There are guys out there who like a challenge. But I don't think many established guys will be looking at this job unless things change significantly with this next alignment.  I think likely it will be guys looking at the first head coaching job, or somebody who really wants to live in this area who will be applying.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, theguru said:

I think for someone looking to be a first time head coach it could be a win-win. You can take the program over and even if you don’t win you now have head coaching experience. If you do win, you have taken a team that historically has underperformed and increased your stock even more. 

IMO I don’t see any established HCs going for this job though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, brooksville said:

Paul Wiggins Jr. is out at Bishop Brossart.  Would he be interested?

I would say I’d certainly make the call. But then again, if Scott doesn’t have their guy yet, or at the very least in the later stages of the interview process, then they are asking for trouble and most likely another botched hire.

Unless, of course, Paul had already been interviewing with them. 

2 hours ago, brooksville said:

Paul Wiggins Jr. is out at Bishop Brossart.  Would he be interested?

I am making the call no matter who is in the pool. He has done an amazing job at Brossart.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Hard Work said:

I am making the call no matter who is in the pool. He has done an amazing job at Brossart.

Right, get the ball rolling and then put in the work. 

• Like 2

On 12/9/2023 at 1:05 PM, TheConch said:

I have had 2 conversations with Scott employees, just since Thanksgiving, and both outlined how unserious and unmotivated AD Fisk is with his job. If that’s the case, forget getting or keeping a good coach, and winning. 

Casey absolutely takes his job seriously, and is as motivated as anyone to get a football coach hired as soon as possible.

After morale among the players and some of the coaching staff soured under Coach Turner and then after Scott's big hire last year turned into a bust for reasons out of their control, Casey is making sure he gives his due diligence to making the CORRECT hire for the job. Apparently that means taking the time to make sure he has quality applicants. Thus far the job has evidently garnered very little interest from applicants. It's a struggling program that just moved up into a very tough district. They are also located in a school district that has two much more established football programs less than 10 miles away from their own. I've been told there have only been six applications received so far and the majority were from people with no head coaching experience, and apparently one or two with neither head coaching experience nor high school coaching experience. And although I cannot state for fact, I do not believe Joe Wynn has applied.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Cincinnati Cobra said:

Casey absolutely takes his job seriously, and is as motivated as anyone to get a football coach hired as soon as possible.

After morale among the players and some of the coaching staff soured under Coach Turner and then after Scott's big hire last year turned into a bust for reasons out of their control, Casey is making sure he gives his due diligence to making the CORRECT hire for the job. Apparently that means taking the time to make sure he has quality applicants. Thus far the job has evidently garnered very little interest from applicants. It's a struggling program that just moved up into a very tough district. They are also located in a school district that has two much more established football programs less than 10 miles away from their own. I've been told there have only been six applications received so far and the majority were from people with no head coaching experience, and apparently one or two with neither head coaching experience nor high school coaching experience. And although I cannot state for fact, I do not believe Joe Wynn has applied.

Welcome to BGP CC. You have any names of the 6? That’s about what I figured would apply for this job. 

I think Scott is going to have to go with someone with no head coach experience. But if they have to stoop as low as no high school coaching experience at all, they might as well go shopping in Florida again. 

10 minutes ago, TheConch said:

Welcome to BGP CC. You have any names of the 6? That’s about what I figured would apply for this job. 

I think Scott is going to have to go with someone with no head coach experience. But if they have to stoop as low as no high school coaching experience at all, they might as well go shopping in Florida again. 

Sorry, I was not given any names for any of the applicants. I think most of the time athletic directors try to protect people's names when they are applying elsewhere. Employers don't usually get warm and fuzzies toward their current employees when they find out they are shopping around to find new jobs, so I've always understood there to be an unspoken rule about playing it close to the chest when it comes to AD's naming applicants. If names get out there, it's usually the result of the applicants discussing it themselves.

5 hours ago, Jack of all Trades said:

Dan Court I believe is a name that has applied.

If in fact Coach Court did apply at Scott, Than without a doubt that would be a slam dunk hire. Early 30’s passionate energetic with a high Football IQ and had previously been DC at Scott so he knows the kids and the community already. Not to mention the previous history he’s had as an assistant coach and player. I believe 2 titles as a player at Highlands and was a part of a staff that had some recent success at Newcath under coach Lickert.

• Like 2