2007 Dixie Heights

theguru

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Promote the new facilities to the max (remember open enrollment in Kenton Co.).

2. Large classes year after year to keep numbers up

3. Find a running back who can pound the ball and get the tough yards

4. Develop strong special teams and kicking teams

5. Petition the state to have teams play in the class they fall into numbers-wise.

5. Petition the state to have teams play in the class they fall into numbers-wise.

Why? IMO Dixie should beat CovCath and Highlands. They are a much larger school and loaded with talent every year.

Also, the winner of this district will win the 5A State Title more times than not. Write that Down! I say Dixie needs to raise the bar! No reason for Dixie to get blown out by anybody!

Why? IMO Dixie should beat CovCath and Highlands. They are a much larger school and loaded with talent every year.

Also, the winner of this district will win the 5A State Title more times than not. Write that Down! I say Dixie needs to raise the bar! No reason for Dixie to get blown out by anybody!

Dixie could argue that they should only have to beat teams in their class numbers-wise and not Highlands AND CovCath who they have beaten in the 2000s.

Dixie could argue that they should only have to beat teams in their class numbers-wise and not Highlands AND CovCath who they have beaten in the 2000s.

They could argue that, but IMO that is a loser's mentality and argument. They should embrace it as an opportunity to become elite!

They could argue that, but IMO that is a loser's mentality and argument. They should embrace it as an opportunity to become elite!

They could but I don't think you will see a district anywhere in the state whereby that number of state championships were MOVED into the district.

And it is nothing against CovCath or Highlands. They played by the rules. And it probably hurts Holmes and Scott more than Dixie.

Curious question: What if Dixie petitioned to play in 6A? Would you be in favor of that? After all they would be in theory taking a step up in class.

They could but I don't think you will see a district anywhere in the state whereby that number of state championships were MOVED into the district.

And it is nothing against CovCath or Highlands. They played by the rules. And it probably hurts Holmes and Scott more than Dixie.

Curious question: What if Dixie petitioned to play in 6A? Would you be in favor of that? After all they would be in theory taking a step up in class.

Sure they could move up, but in reality if they win the NKY 5A district they will most likely be 5A champs. If they win the NKY 6A district the best they could probably hope for is State Runner-up!

Sure they could move up, but in reality if they win the NKY 5A district they will most likely be 5A champs. If they win the NKY 6A district the best they could probably hope for is State Runner-up!

Quite possibly but they would be third choice in the 5A district and not favored to advance past the district and not have a home playoff game. While in 6A they would be one of the choices to advance out of the district or at the very least would have a better chance than in 5A. I wouldn't be in favor of them moving up (as I don't think teams should be able to move up)but I could see why they would.

Quite possibly but they would be third choice in the 5A district and not favored to advance past the district and not have a home playoff game. While in 6A they would be one of the choices to advance out of the district or at the very least would have a better chance than in 5A. I wouldn't be in favor of them moving up (as I don't think teams should be able to move up)but I could see why they would.

Not favored, but why not. Bigger school! Better facilities! Open Enrollment! Seems to me like comparable demographics to Highlands and CovCath. I see no reason why Dixie could not and should not compete for this district title!

Not favored, but why not. Bigger school! Better facilities! Open Enrollment! Seems to me like comparable demographics to Highlands and CovCath. I see no reason why Dixie could not and should not compete for this district title!

They can and they will and they are capable of beating Highlands and CovCath but it may be tough to beat BOTH in a given year. I can understand the KHSAA reasoning of allowing teams to move for economical reasons but I don't think two teams from other classes should ever be allowed to move into the same district in another class.

Especially since past NKY teams were basically stuck with the hand they were dealt.

Dixie needs to get off to a fast start. They need stop using the first 3 games as scrimages. I know many will argue this point that they don't, but if you watch the first 3 games, the starting lineups are different, and there are many substitutions. You can tell the coaches are still trying to find the right personnel. They need to get this solved in the preseason this year as the scheduling changes.

I also think they need to get back to two-a-days so they can find the right personnel and get the team conditioned. From a conditioning standpoint, they looked much better this past year that the previous year.

A leader has to step up in the offseason, and I don't think this will be a problem this year since there are so many seniors. Last year, no-one stepped up until districts started as there was a lot of arguing on the sidelines the first 3 games.

The offensive line needs to be aggressive from day one. When the passing game wasn't there last year, it took the line until almost the end of the year to run block. They were so used to stepping back instead of driving forward, their offense couldn't do anything.

Bricking needs to be more confident in the pocket, and he needs to learn to quit staring down his primary receiver. Too many times last year you could tell who he was throwing to as soon as he got the snap. I'm surprised defenses didn't get more picks than they did. Also, in order to help Bricking, the receivers need to run crisper routes. Last year, they were slow getting out of their breaks, and their cuts were rounded instead of square. This is something the coaches should be seeing in tape and teaching the kids.

Next year's team should be pretty solid, and there shouldn't be any excuse for a slow start. They've got a solid class of seniors and sophomores, and a good group of juniors. If those sophomores can step up like the seniors did their sophomore years, they should contend for the district championship.

Have to disagree with your thoughts about not permitting teams to move up. After all the whining and complaining from some 4A N. Ky football coaches (whom I won't mention, but you know who they are) about how unfair it was for them to have to play against Trinity and X because those two schools are so much larger and have a size disadvantage of approx. 2 to 1, I'm really not all that sympathetic when I hear some of those same coaches whine about having to play CovCath and Highlands. Heck, Highlands is about half the size as Dixie ( I think we had 392 boys in top four and Dixie had 653 in the top four) so Dixie will "enjoy" the same size advantage over Highlands that Trinity had over Dixie. Frankly it would be hypocritical as all get out if the KHSAA, after making much fanfare of the need for 6 classes to eliminate the gross size disparity in the 4 class system, hereafter decided not to allow teams to move up. Either size truly matters (and thus the larger schools have no complaint when a smaller school moves up a class or two) or size doesn't matter and we should go back to 4 classes. A coach can't have it both ways, unless he wants to admit that his school is more interested in finding an easy way to win a state championship than earning it. Sounds harsh, but I don't see any other way to see it.

Sorry Ru if that wasn't constructive. Personally I think Dixie has all the tools to win the state in 5A.

Have to disagree with your thoughts about not permitting teams to move up. After all the whining and complaining from some 4A N. Ky football coaches (whom I won't mention, but you know who they are) about how unfair it was for them to have to play against Trinity and X because those two schools are so much larger and have a size disadvantage of approx. 2 to 1, I'm really not all that sympathetic when I hear some of those same coaches whine about having to play CovCath and Highlands. Heck, Highlands is about half the size as Dixie ( I think we had 392 boys in top four and Dixie had 653 in the top four) so Dixie will "enjoy" the same size advantage over Highlands that Trinity had over Dixie. Frankly it would be hypocritical as all get out if the KHSAA, after making much fanfare of the need for 6 classes to eliminate the gross size disparity in the 4 class system, hereafter decided not to allow teams to move up. Either size truly matters (and thus the larger schools have no complaint when a smaller school moves up a class or two) or size doesn't matter and we should go back to 4 classes. A coach can't have it both ways, unless he wants to admit that his school is more interested in finding an easy way to win a state championship than earning it. Sounds harsh, but I don't see any other way to see it.

Sorry Ru if that wasn't constructive. Personally I think Dixie has all the tools to win the state in 5A.

Where did you ever see any NKY 4A coach complain about size? If i remeber correctly the ones who were quoted after the move to 6 classes were against it.

"Northern Kentucky guys were all against (six classes)," said Dixie Heights coach Tom Spritzky quote I found you must have found another from a guy who coached one of only 2 teams to beat Trunity in the playoffs in the last 5 years. Please let me know where I can find this info.