Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2007 Dixie Heights

Featured Replies

I don't think that any of those teams petitioned to move up to AAA. There is nothing wrong with moving up a class to increase your competition level. It doesn't make sense to deny it. Dixie, although a public school, has open enrollment. This is an advantage that should allow them to compete with the big boys across the state. If Dixie would have petitioned in time to move up to AAAAAA, then they would have been accepted. They didn't ask for this to happen till they found out Highlands and Cov were going to be in their district.

 

But as LN said it is against the rules,

 

As far as Open enrollment Scott, and SK have open enrollment also, so isn't a wash Parents can send their children to any of the schools as long as they are accepted, typically they do not send them to one over the other for sports reasons.

 

And according to the KHSAA #s Dixie is no where close to twice the size of Highlands in terms of number of boys, projected #s

Dixie 636 boys

Highlands 423 boys

  • Replies 149
  • Views 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But as LN said it is against the rules,

 

As far as Open enrollment Scott, and SK have open enrollment also, so isn't a wash Parents can send their children to any of the schools as long as they are accepted, typically they do not send them to one over the other for sports reasons.

 

And according to the KHSAA #s Dixie is no where close to twice the size of Highlands in terms of number of boys, projected #s

Dixie 636 boys

Highlands 423 boys

It is not a wash. Dixie has traditionally been the most football competative high school in Kenton County. It now has new fascilities that give it an even bigger advantage when it comes to open enrollment. I do not understand the complaints about playing a school that has much smaller enrollment. It is not against the rules. If it were, the BOC would not have accepted the appeals. Lets face it, the descision is better for NKY, and better for competition across the state.

But as LN said it is against the rules, As far as Open enrollment Scott, and SK have open enrollment also, so isn't a wash Parents can send their children to any of the schools as long as they are accepted, typically they do not send them to one over the other for sports reasons.

 

And according to the KHSAA #s Dixie is no where close to twice the size of Highlands in terms of number of boys, projected #s

Dixie 636 boys

Highlands 423 boys

 

I missed the part where LN said it was against the rules. I believe he stated that the criteria for moving a school up a class was strictly based on geographical implications.

I missed the part where LN said it was against the rules. I believe he stated that the criteria for moving a school up a class was strictly based on geographical implications.

 

Okay he stated the guidelines that were established to determin if a team could move up. Which in my opinion would be a rule.

It is not a wash. Dixie has traditionally been the most football competative high school in Kenton County. It now has new fascilities that give it an even bigger advantage when it comes to open enrollment. I do not understand the complaints about playing a school that has much smaller enrollment. It is not against the rules. If it were, the BOC would not have accepted the appeals. Lets face it, the descision is better for NKY, and better for competition across the state.

 

Just because you have had success does not mean Kids are automatically going to come to school there when they live in Kenton County. Two examples are Tomy Gibson and Michael Haught they were 2 of the better underclassmen in Kenton County in 2005 both changed schools and they ended up at SK. Recruiting is against the KHSAA rules, so unless a parent decides to transport their child to Dixie for the purpose of playing Football, the Football program has no say over who comes there.

Okay he stated the guidelines that were established to determin if a team could move up. Which in my opinion would be a rule.

 

 

Moving up for competition purposes was not a valid reason to request a move up. The only valid reason for requesting a move up was for geographical reasons.

 

As to Highlands being half the size, I must have remembered incorrect numbers. I thought Highlands had 393 to Dixie's approx 650. If the KHSAA site has Highlands with 423 to Dixie's 636, you are right. But I assume you'll agree that an extra 200 plus kids does/should give Dixie some advantage, or at least certainly takes away Dixie's ability to complain about Highlands moving up.

 

And I assume you would agree that Dixie has probably benefitted from the Kenton Co. open enrollment policy than any other school in the district. They haven't attracted every good athlete that has taken advantage of the open enrollment policy, but I'd venture a guess, and its just a guess, that they have attracted the most.

It is not a wash. Dixie has traditionally been the most football competative high school in Kenton County. It now has new fascilities that give it an even bigger advantage when it comes to open enrollment. I do not understand the complaints about playing a school that has much smaller enrollment. It is not against the rules. If it were, the BOC would not have accepted the appeals. Lets face it, the descision is better for NKY, and better for competition across the state.

 

I never did complain that Dixie is competeting with HHS and CCH. Dixie has played these 2 teams for a long time. Heck they played Highlands when few teams from NKY would.

 

I disagree I think the decision was best for CCH and Highlands schools, and Communities, and no one can blame them for wanting to move up. But ask Scott, Holmes, or Dixie if it was best for them. I think the KHSAA went wrong when they said some teams could move and others couldn't. That is my only opinion.

 

As a fan of Dixie Heights I look forward to the challenge of playing them, I hope the boys step up to the challenge.

Moving up for competition purposes was not a valid reason to request a move up. The only valid reason for requesting a move up was for geographical reasons.

 

As to Highlands being half the size, I must have remembered incorrect numbers. I thought Highlands had 393 to Dixie's approx 650. If the KHSAA site has Highlands with 423 to Dixie's 636, you are right. But I assume you'll agree that an extra 200 plus kids does/should give Dixie some advantage, or at least certainly takes away Dixie's ability to complain about Highlands moving up.

And I assume you would agree that Dixie has probably benefitted from the Kenton Co. open enrollment policy than any other school in the district. They haven't attracted every good athlete that has taken advantage of the open enrollment policy, but I'd venture a guess, and its just a guess, that they have attracted the most.

 

I agree that it should help. However it isn't as significant as the adavantages that some schools have for example Trinity has almost 700 more boys then Simon Kenton does. To me that is the numbers advantage people complained about.

 

I can name 1 player who was a significant Football player that I know was open enrolled and his family had previous ties to Scott. Other then that I don't know of any big time Football players that came to Dixie for football purposes. I would say Highlands has benefited from kids who don't want to play at Scott or SK more than Dixie has would you agree?

I agree that it should help. However it isn't as significant as the adavantages that some schools have for example Trinity has almost 700 more boys then Simon Kenton does. To me that is the numbers advantage people complained about.

 

I can name 1 player who was a significant Football player that I know was open enrolled and his family had previous ties to Scott. Other then that I don't know of any big time Football players that came to Dixie for football purposes. I would say Highlands has benefited from kids who don't want to play at Scott or SK more than Dixie has would you agree?

 

We have definitely beneffited from kids not wanting to play football at SK. I'm not sure if we've benefitted more than Dixie as I don't know whom has attended Dixie rather than attending SK. I can't honestly remember Highlands ever getting a Scott football player. But perhaps we have.

 

And I agree with you that the spread between Highlands and Dixie is not as great as that between Dixie and Trinity (although I don't remember ever stating that Dixie's advantage over Highlands was as great as Trinity's advantage over Dixie). Nonetheless, Dixie does have an advantage if you believe that having more boys is an advantage, and I think most folks in Ky so believe.

 

Don't get me wrong. I realize that Highlands has some things that can offset that advantage: tradition, a committment to winning and the ability to attract some players from other schools. I'm not saying that Dixie should be dominating Highlands just because Dixie has a couple of hundred more boys than Highlands. But Dixie should have been more competitive against Highlands than they have been over the last 15 or 20 years. And no one from Dixie should ever complain that its unfair that they have to now play Highlands in their district competition. That's almost insulting to the Dixie players.

We have definitely beneffited from kids not wanting to play football at SK. I'm not sure if we've benefitted more than Dixie as I don't know whom has attended Dixie rather than attending SK. I can't honestly remember Highlands ever getting a Scott football player. But perhaps we have.

 

And I agree with you that the spread between Highlands and Dixie is not as great as that between Dixie and Trinity (although I don't remember ever stating that Dixie's advantage over Highlands was as great as Trinity's advantage over Dixie). Nonetheless, Dixie does have an advantage if you believe that having more boys is an advantage, and I think most folks in Ky so believe.

Don't get me wrong. I realize that Highlands has some things that can offset that advantage: tradition, a committment to winning and the ability to attract some players from other schools. I'm not saying that Dixie should be dominating Highlands just because Dixie has a couple of hundred more boys than Highlands. But Dixie should have been more competitive against Highlands than they have been over the last 15 or 20 years. And no one from Dixie should ever complain that its unfair that they have to now play Highlands in their district competition. That's almost insulting to the Dixie players.

 

 

Jared Lorenzen lived in Edgewood and was in Scott district until 9th grade and His brother did go to Scott, and Justin Frisk was an Edgewood boy until 10th grade, maybe he came from Cov. Cath but when he left there he didn't go to the school district he lived in

 

I don't know how anyone from Dixie could complain about enrollment #'s heck they showed on the right night they could beat Trinity in the Playoffs.

 

Don't ever underestimate these things, they are great advantages, but it is something that was earned not given

 

I agree, if you want to be the best you have to beat the best.

Moving up for competition purposes was not a valid reason to request a move up. The only valid reason for requesting a move up was for geographical reasons.

 

As to Highlands being half the size, I must have remembered incorrect numbers. I thought Highlands had 393 to Dixie's approx 650. If the KHSAA site has Highlands with 423 to Dixie's 636, you are right. But I assume you'll agree that an extra 200 plus kids does/should give Dixie some advantage, or at least certainly takes away Dixie's ability to complain about Highlands moving up.

 

And I assume you would agree that Dixie has probably benefitted from the Kenton Co. open enrollment policy than any other school in the district. They haven't attracted every good athlete that has taken advantage of the open enrollment policy, but I'd venture a guess, and its just a guess, that they have attracted the most.

 

Looking at open enrollment for Dixie , we have more playing in the Band ( 10 to 15 )that's open enrolled then we have playing football ! I think it's only 5 playing football ! To say Dixie has an advantage over other Kenton or other schools isn't that true . SK AND Scott both have about the same amount playing football . Now take Highlands and CovCath , look at the area's they take players from . All most 3 counties or more for the two schools ! Now who has the Big advantage over the other schools ?:argue:

Looking at open enrollment for Dixie , we have more playing in the Band ( 10 to 15 )that's open enrolled then we have playing football ! I think it's only 5 playing football ! To say Dixie has an advantage over other Kenton or other schools isn't that true . SK AND Scott both have about the same amount playing football . Now take Highlands and CovCath , look at the area's they take players from . All most 3 counties or more for the two schools ! Now who has the Big advantage over the other schools ?:argue:

 

Your two little guys arguing tell the whole story about that last sentence. You need to ask yourself WHY?:irked:

Your two little guys arguing tell the whole story about that last sentence. You need to ask yourself WHY?:irked:

 

 

Thanks for the unsolicited advise. I'll give it the proper amount of consideration:laugh:

Looking at open enrollment for Dixie , we have more playing in the Band ( 10 to 15 )that's open enrolled then we have playing football ! I think it's only 5 playing football ! To say Dixie has an advantage over other Kenton or other schools isn't that true . SK AND Scott both have about the same amount playing football . Now take Highlands and CovCath , look at the area's they take players from . All most 3 counties or more for the two schools ! Now who has the Big advantage over the other schools ?:argue:

Simon Kenton and Scott both have ZERO out of area enrolled football player. Dixie has a huge advantage over those two schools. Maybe I missed something, but I didn't notice that Kenton county schools built a new football facility at Scott or SK. If you think that doesn't attract perspective athletes from around the county, you are living in fantasy land.

Simon Kenton and Scott both have ZERO out of area enrolled football player. Dixie has a huge advantage over those two schools. Maybe I missed something, but I didn't notice that Kenton county schools built a new football facility at Scott or SK. If you think that doesn't attract perspective athletes from around the county, you are living in fantasy land.

 

Do you know this as a fact?

 

Not yet but they will have turf fields soon. The only player that i can think of that was a huge impact player came to Dixie, played on one of the worst fields in the state, with no practice field, make shift locker rooms, and weight rooms for most if not all of his career. Since they got the new Facility they lost one of the best Football players in Kenton County Schools. He moved and he did not take advantage of Open enrollment.

 

My point is that Open enrollment has not had that great of benefit for the Football team as outsiders would like to believe. Once again Dixie can not recruit these kids because it is against the rules.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.