Is Highlands' Coach Sphire in a do or die situation?

Ok….I’ll participate, put me in the extremely skeptical about the current staff to win at the level all us Cake Eaters want, but with that said…

1.  Give the man and staff one full class, freshman to senior, before saying he has to go.

2.  If after 4 years, the program isn’t better than what you inherited, then you aren’t the guy.

Patience.  Baioni’s first few years were rough.  Patience brought multiple state runs and a perennial 9th region contender.

Patience.  Listerman’s first half decade were downright “not good”.  Patience brought a state title and a program that is one of the top 3-4 in the region.

Idk if Sphire is the answer, but let’s give the man a full class to see.

20 minutes ago, throwback32 said:

Ok….I’ll participate, put me in the extremely skeptical about the current staff to win at the level all us Cake Eaters want, but with that said…

1.  Give the man and staff one full class, freshman to senior, before saying he has to go.

2.  If after 4 years, the program isn’t better than what you inherited, then you aren’t the guy.

Patience.  Baioni’s first few years were rough.  Patience brought multiple state runs and a perennial 9th region contender.

Patience.  Listerman’s first half decade were downright “not good”.  Patience brought a state title and a program that is one of the top 3-4 in the region.

Idk if Sphire is the answer, but let’s give the man a full class to see.

I think Sphire already has the program in a better place than it was before he arrived.

• Like 8

I think he gets another year or 2 leeway. Unless a crazy losing season happens with this team that is supposed to be “the team”. Who knows, they still could…

Sounds as if things are better in the Fort than they were but not as cozy as some thought it would be. Also, I’m not sure the son is the heir apparent as of now. 

Bob has improved the team since he got the job. I still have faith. Highlands just got too emotional and committed dumb penalties. His job is not in trouble because of one loss to the arch rival. He beat them at their house last year, relax. He is moving the program in a positive direction. Take out the dumb penalties and the pick six and that game would have been a lot different. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Bob has improved the team since he got the job. I still have faith. Highlands just got too emotional and committed dumb penalties. His job is not in trouble because of one loss to the arch rival. He beat them at their house last year, relax. He is moving the program in a positive direction. Take out the dumb penalties and the pick six and that game would have been a lot different. 

Take away the touchdowns and the defense and they’d still be playing!

• Haha 2

Highlands should not have lost this game this past Friday imo. If you watched it in person, anyone that knows anything about football knows this.

Unforced mistakes by the other team was the difference. Highlands self implosion was a direct result of not being fully prepared both physically and mentally.

On the other hand, CovCath was prepared and did a great job capitalizing on Highlands mistakes, very good programs do this and I do give them the Win in this category.

In my opinion, this lost will be the wake up call and I believe you will see a different team the rest of the season and Bob will do his best and give the program the best opportunity to win.

Go Birds!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sweeperboy said:

Unforced mistakes by the other team was the difference. Highlands self implosion was a direct result of not being fully prepared both physically and mentally.

This is interesting. To me, it has seemed like the Highlands faithful have been satisfied with a change in the overall physicality in the program (size, strength etc.). 

Is your comment directed at this specific game, or the overall position of the program in regards to size and strength?

This is my last post on the subject as I don’t want it to be a distraction or create a negative vibe so early in the season. As I’ve stated numerous times, this is Highlands best team in years and the class EVERYONE in Fort Thomas who’s been watching, has expected to do very big things. Bob doesn’t need 4 years to do what he was brought here to do, win state. That timeline wasn’t the expectation when he arrived and it’s not now.  The time is now, with this class. He’s had 2 years to establish his system and get the boys bodies built up. The work is done. So the frustrating part for me, is seeing how poorly they’ve executed right out of the gate, in both games.

Winning cures a lot of things. Things like assistant coaches making childish tweets and IG posts, personal foul penalties, sophomores refusing to play JV, playing 13 year olds for 8 straight quarters in August, feuding personal trainers glomming off the program publicly bickering and using Highlands players as photo ops and pawns. Those same trainers, and coaches, telling the world via social media that a certain superstar is the the #1 player in the class of 2026, something so incredibly irresponsible and detrimental to said player that I can’t believe those relationships continue. None of that is what I expect from Highlands and none of that is healthy. 

So win now because it’s starting to pile up.

11 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

This is interesting. To me, it has seemed like the Highlands faithful have been satisfied with a change in the overall physicality in the program (size, strength etc.). 

Is your comment directed at this specific game, or the overall position of the program in regards to size and strength?

Highlands is physically bigger and stronger than they have been in many years and not what I was alluding to.

My physicality comment is referring to them being a bit tired or not in tip top game shape. Probably has something to do with the Defense not getting much rest.

Of the two, definitely more not being mentally conditioned.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 1959 said:

This is my last post on the subject as I don’t want it to be a distraction or create a negative vibe so early in the season. As I’ve stated numerous times, this is Highlands best team in years and the class EVERYONE in Fort Thomas who’s been watching, has expected to do very big things. Bob doesn’t need 4 years to do what he was brought here to do, win state. That timeline wasn’t the expectation when he arrived and it’s not now.  The time is now, with this class. He’s had 2 years to establish his system and get the boys bodies built up. The work is done. So the frustrating part for me, is seeing how poorly they’ve executed right out of the gate, in both games.

Winning cures a lot of things. Things like assistant coaches making childish tweets and IG posts, personal foul penalties, sophomores refusing to play JV, playing 13 year olds for 8 straight quarters in August, feuding personal trainers glomming off the program publicly bickering and using Highlands players as photo ops and pawns. Those same trainers, and coaches, telling the world via social media that a certain superstar is the the #1 player in the class of 2026, something so incredibly irresponsible and detrimental to said player that I can’t believe those relationships continue. None of that is what I expect from Highlands and none of that is healthy. 

So win now because it’s starting to pile up.

I approve this message. Seems like the time is now and the opportunity is still there to reach their goals. 

23 hours ago, TheConch said:

Take away the touchdowns and the defense and they’d still be playing!

I didn’t say Highlands should have won. They just spotted the Colonels a drive when they scored their first touchdown. It was 4th and 15 mid field when some dingus pushed after tiger play. You can’t win a close game when you get 4 personal fouls in a quarter.