Does David Bell deserve an extension?

3 hours ago, Walter_White said:

I disagree with the Benson move.    Fraley was not available so they were playing with a short bench.    Could have used him to pinch hit later in the game.     

Exactly on this, plus, Benson is only average to below average defensively, so that really didn’t help a thing, would’ve been nice to have had Benson hit for Fairchild in the 9th against the righty.  And yes, I agree, lots of screwups by the players in this game but the players are trying to perform an obviously very difficult physical act in most of the situations while Buddy Jr has to just sit in the dugout and perform mental tasks, AND with time to confer about them, like the other poster said, should’ve waited on the extension, for sure

18 minutes ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

Exactly on this, plus, Benson is only average to below average defensively, so that really didn’t help a thing, would’ve been nice to have had Benson hit for Fairchild in the 9th against the righty.  And yes, I agree, lots of screwups by the players in this game but the players are trying to perform an obviously very difficult physical act in most of the situations while Buddy Jr has to just sit in the dugout and perform mental tasks, AND with time to confer about them, like the other poster said, should’ve waited on the extension, for sure

Statistically, Benson and Friedl are virtually even as the two best outfielders on the Reds.

14 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Statistically, Benson and Friedl are virtually even as the two best outfielders on the Reds.

Yes, 1.000 fielding percentage in the outfield, the same as STEER, CES has a HIGHER fielding percentage at 1B than Steer, so, again, why burn Benson when you know Fraley is unavailable, something that a good manager wouldn’t do, again, would’ve been nice to have had Benson available to hit for Fairchild against the righty in the 9th

30 minutes ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

Yes, 1.000 fielding percentage in the outfield, the same as STEER, CES has a HIGHER fielding percentage at 1B than Steer, so, again, why burn Benson when you know Fraley is unavailable, something that a good manager wouldn’t do, again, would’ve been nice to have had Benson available to hit for Fairchild against the righty in the 9th

It's not just fielding percent. It is range. Assists. Multiple factors. Benson and Freidl are the Reds two best outfielders.

I stated the logic on pinch running Benson above. It was a logical move. Sometimes moves work. Sometimes they don't. You have a valid case to save Benson. There is logic in that too. We can question a half dozen moves every game by every manager in the game because every move has multiple options. In hindsight, there are moves that don't work almost every game. As long as there is solid logic, I won't complain that a move didn't work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

I’m not sure where you get your information, but grading Benson as a below average outfielder is comical.

40 minutes ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

You’re really going to compare CES’s couple of weeks of playing 1B sparingly to Steer playing it for massive chunks of the year, including learning it on the fly early on? I wouldn’t expect him to have a 1.000 fielding percentage after that, but it doesn’t make CES better, at all. Most scouts in the MLB project CES as a career DH. That says everything.

Benson did have a chance at the plate in the 9th, and he didn’t get the job done. Maybe that works out differently if he hits a batter or two later, but probably not.

While they both have perfect fielding percentages in the OF, if you think Steer and Benson are tracking down the same amount of balls on the run, I can’t help you…. add in the fact that your defense at 1B also got better and most managers in baseball make the same move.

Also as previously mentioned by others, the move had more to do with base running than anything. If Benson’s speed scores that run, they win. 

Here is a move that Bell made that I questioned and I think it is haunting the Reds. A couple starts ago, he let Abbott throw 113 pitches in a game. That was the game after throwing 106. Abbott has not been the same since those outings. That was too many pitches. I know it was a Milwaukee game we really needed to win but we are trading that win for how many others? And who is to say the bullpen would not have been able to get that win in relief?

I worry about a similar thing happening with Ashcraft. He threw 106 pitches last night. Two starts ago he threw 110. I worry that is going to wear on him. If I am Bell, I don't let him throw more than 90 pitches his next start.

16 minutes ago, ChickenWyngz said:

I’m not sure where you get your information, but grading Benson as a below average outfielder is comical.

You’re really going to compare CES’s couple of weeks of playing 1B sparingly to Steer playing it for massive chunks of the year, including learning it on the fly early on? I wouldn’t expect him to have a 1.000 fielding percentage after that, but it doesn’t make CES better, at all. Most scouts in the MLB project CES as a career DH. That says everything.

Benson did have a chance at the plate in the 9th, and he didn’t get the job done. Maybe that works out differently if he hits a batter or two later, but probably not.

While they both have perfect fielding percentages in the OF, if you think Steer and Benson are tracking down the same amount of balls on the run, I can’t help you…. add in the fact that your defense at 1B also got better and most managers in baseball make the same move.

Also as previously mentioned by others, the move had more to do with base running than anything. If Benson’s speed scores that run, they win. 

Will disagree on all your points and if you’ve watched Benson all year and think he’s a good enough outfielder to burn him as a defensive replacement that’s what is comical.  Yes, he did bat in the 9th, against the LEFTY, if Bell doesn’t waste him he gets to bat against a RIGHTY is my point

7 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Here is a move that Bell made that I questioned and I think it is haunting the Reds. A couple starts ago, he let Abbott throw 113 pitches in a game. That was the game after throwing 106. Abbott has not been the same since those outings. That was too many pitches. I know it was a Milwaukee game we really needed to win but we are trading that win for how many others? And who is to say the bullpen would not have been able to get that win in relief?

I worry about a similar thing happening with Ashcraft. He threw 106 pitches last night. Two starts ago he threw 110. I worry that is going to wear on him. If I am Bell, I don't let him throw more than 90 pitches his next start.

Agree on all of this.

Unfortunately for Bell there will be people complaining about this that we’re unhappy he was pulling starters starters at 90 pitches 2 weeks ago.

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

It's not just fielding percent. It is range. Assists. Multiple factors. Benson and Freidl are the Reds two best outfielders.

I stated the logic on pinch running Benson above. It was a logical move. Sometimes moves work. Sometimes they don't. You have a valid case to save Benson. There is logic in that too. We can question a half dozen moves every game by every manager in the game because every move has multiple options. In hindsight, there are moves that don't work almost every game. As long as there is solid logic, I won't complain that a move didn't work.

I like Freidl but does he have an assist all year??  Cost us one of the Brewers games with a ridiculous throw home